GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Fog lights not working properly

Ilaniado

Hi, I'm new to this blog. I've been a VW fan all my life and I just bought my second GTI.I've been driving it about a week or so and everything was fine until I realised that my front left fog light and my rear right fog light are not working, besides there's no warning light or message. The other two fog lights and everything seems to be working fine and well.
What's wrong whit my GTI and how can infix it?
Thank you in advance.
Cheers!

DV52

Drag Racing Champion
Hi, I'm new to this blog. I've been a VW fan all my life and I just bought my second GTI.I've been driving it about a week or so and everything was fine until I realised that my front left fog light and my rear right fog light are not working, besides there's no warning light or message. The other two fog lights and everything seems to be working fine and well.
What's wrong whit my GTI and how can infix it?
Thank you in advance.
Cheers!

Ilaniado: Hi: That's real strange behaviour - even for a mk7!!

Are you sure that your car has a passenger side rear fog light factory fitted? My understanding was that some EU/RoW models have two fogs, but that NAR models only had a driver's side rear fog light (not sure about cars in Mexico though). Good way to check is to pop the cover behind the light and check if there is a blanking piece of plastic where the fog light is meant to be

The behaviour of the left front fog is more bewildering especially since you aren't getting any error messages. This lamp is supplied directly from the Body Control Module via its own connection (PIN#45 Socket B). The strange thing is that the BCM has special fault monitoring features that detects errors such as open/short circuit lamp/LED. Unless the front fog has been deliberately programmed-out, you should get an error message. What's the history of the car? HAs anyone been tinkering with the BCM (that you are aware)?
Don

Last edited:

Avanti

Go Kart Champion
Ilaniado: Hi: That's real strange behaviour - even for a mk7!!

Are you sure that your car has a passenger side rear fog light factory fitted? My understanding was that RoW models have two fogs, but that NAR models only had a driver's side rear fog light (not sure about cars in Mexico though)

The behaviour of the left front fog is more bewildering especially since you aren't getting any error messages. This lamp is supplied directly from the Body Control Module via its own connection (PIN#45 Socket B). The strange thing is that the BCM has special fault monitoring features that detects errors such as open/short circuit lamp/LED. Unless the front fog has been deliberately programmed-out, you should get an error message. What's the history of the car? HAs anyone been tinkering with the BCM (that you are aware)?
Don

Off side rear fog light only in Europe.
It would have been handy if the OP had informed if the bulb had been checked by substition for a known working bulb, what puzzles me is the OP then goes on to say the other 2 fog lights are fine (which other 2, as there are 3 fog lights 2 at the front one at the rear).