GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Window open switch issue

boats'n hoes

Hello all,

Whilst driving tonight I noticed that on the drivers side window switch the half press function (when the window stops lowering as soon as finger is off the switch) only works very intermittently like once in 20 attempts, it is only not working properly with the drivers window down but on the way up it works fine and the passenger windows are fine also.

I’ve tried all of the tips i could find from other threads, lowering window and holding for 15 secs and raise window and hold for 15 secs, re-setting the open close settings in the centre console and turning car off and leaving it for a while all with no success.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and wether it’s the switch that is faulty (which is my main suspicion since it works on the up cycle) or it could be something else? I’ve read on here that the battery being on the way out can cause strange behaviour with the electrics but I would think that would surely effect the function on both windows.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
Hello all,

Whilst driving tonight I noticed that on the drivers side window switch the half press function (when the window stops lowering as soon as finger is off the switch) only works very intermittently like once in 20 attempts, it is only not working properly with the drivers window down but on the way up it works fine and the passenger windows are fine also.

I’ve tried all of the tips i could find from other threads, lowering window and holding for 15 secs and raise window and hold for 15 secs, re-setting the open close settings in the centre console and turning car off and leaving it for a while all with no success.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this and wether it’s the switch that is faulty (which is my main suspicion since it works on the up cycle) or it could be something else? I’ve read on here that the battery being on the way out can cause strange behaviour with the electrics but I would think that would surely effect the function on both windows.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Loads of threads about this - from what I've seen, there's no known fix

You could try replacing the switch; shouldn't cost you much

afropelican

Passed Driver's Ed
I had the same problem on mines, I had to replace the entire switch as its non user servicable. (I disassembled the switches - they use a rubber membrane for activation - these were worn out. Unlike micro-switches these are not universal. Unfortunately I couldn't find the part number for the rubber piece anywhere so I purchased a new switch unit and replaced it.)

Before doing that you could try feeling the difference very carefully betweeen the working passenger control and the faulty driver switch. If it feels different more than likely the rubber membrane in the switch has torn which would require the whole switch to be repalced.

afropelican

Passed Driver's Ed
Another shot before all of that - if you think dirt or water could've gotten into it try giving the general switch panel a clean with mf towels toothpics etc. Then maybe even spraying the switches with a few short burts through a straw of an aerosol electronics cleaner - (that evaporates quickly).