GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Kessy FAIL/ Suggestions?

Wbishen

Hi all,

This past weekend the downfalls of kessy were made obvious to me.

I had placed my keys in a small duffel in my trunk, closed the trunk door. I got distracted for a few minutes and when I went to open my car....nothing. It locked itself with the keys in the car.

After some failed attempts with a tennis ball, even calling back home to try to send the signal though the phone, AAA came to the rescue.

So I pose this question to everyone. What did I do wrong? Other than having faith in technology. And what is the best way to keep a spare key( not the fob) on the car so this doesn’t happen again?

Thanks!

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
In my experience, the car won't lock with the keys in them.
Perhaps your key fob battery in failing.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I've tried to find a dummy/surfer key and have been told by several dealers they are not avail with my 2017 GTI Kessey. I intend to spend the $200+ and get a 3rd real key made and magnetic mount it somewhere with the battery removed. then either try it with battery when needed or the pop off the latch cap and go in that way. Yeah real $ but if you do this far from home I'll be glad I did it.

Jarbear

Ready to race!
I have a friend with a Mk7 Golf. She used the Kessy fob to open the hatch (doesn't unlock the doors), left the key on the floor the closed the hatch. Since the car was still locked, and the trunk would not open, as it will only open with the Kessy fob OR if the rest of the car is unlocked.

Did you unlock the doors first or just use the fob to open the hatch without unlocking the rest of the car first?

Wbishen

I have a friend with a Mk7 Golf. She used the Kessy fob to open the hatch (doesn't unlock the doors), left the key on the floor the closed the hatch. Since the car was still locked, and the trunk would not open, as it will only open with the Kessy fob OR if the rest of the car is unlocked.

Did you unlock the doors first or just use the fob to open the hatch without unlocking the rest of the car first?

I did what she did, used it to unlock just the hatch, then closed the hatch and never unlocked the doors. I figured the car would sense the key however.

Wbishen

I've tried to find a dummy/surfer key and have been told by several dealers they are not avail with my 2017 GTI Kessey. I intend to spend the $200+ and get a 3rd real key made and magnetic mount it somewhere with the battery removed. then either try it with battery when needed or the pop off the latch cap and go in that way. Yeah real $ but if you do this far from home I'll be glad I did it.

Interesting, I just assumed I could get a copy of the flip out key made by your saying that’s not an option? They do sell those hidden license plate brackets not sure how reliable that is. and I found a kickstarter for a phone controlled one but the device itself is 150 seems steep... especially if by chance your phone also gets locked in the car.

Jarbear

Ready to race!
I did what she did, used it to unlock just the hatch, then closed the hatch and never unlocked the doors. I figured the car would sense the key however.

I think it's designed that way to prevent someone from opening your hatch while you're inside the car (with the key of course). At least that's my assumption.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie
I just got back from a 3,300 mile road trip in my GSW TDI. Somewhere in Minnesota (as far from Delaware as we got), my son, trying to be helpful, closed the rear hatch of the wagon as I had the keys laying in the cargo area while loading suitcases. It was one of those slow motion moments as I saw the door coming down and I was all, “NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!1!”

Luckily it opened right back up, but it reminded me how much I hate and fear KESSY. There was no avoiding it though, even in S trim.

adam1991

Banned
I guess I'm confused. The purpose of Kessy is never to have the key out of your purse/pocket, and it all just works.

In 6 months, I've never had the key out of my pocket when dealing with the car--except to take it out at the dealer and leave it in the cupholder. Of course, by habit I always have the window open at that point.

What am I missing that y'all have the Kessy remote out of your pockets and in your hands, and putting down in the hatch area to free up your hands, when you're dealing with the car?

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
mine fell out of my pocket just last week (gym shorts) I kept trying to get the door to lock and it wouldn't. they were on the seat.

OP, it shouldn't let you lock them in the car. I had my warning^^^ I will do this soonly. It seems it is approx $250 to get a 3rd from VW. Expensive but I'm going to do this. I'm sure I'll find a place under the car to attach it. well wrapped up.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Hi all,

This past weekend the downfalls of kessy were made obvious to me.

I had placed my keys in a small duffel in my trunk, closed the trunk door. I got distracted for a few minutes and when I went to open my car....nothing. It locked itself with the keys in the car.

After some failed attempts with a tennis ball, even calling back home to try to send the signal though the phone, AAA came to the rescue.

So I pose this question to everyone. What did I do wrong? Other than having faith in technology. And what is the best way to keep a spare key( not the fob) on the car so this doesn’t happen again?

Thanks!

.... tennis ball???

you mean this?

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/can-unlock-car-door-tennis-ball/

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
addendum....Bears post makes sense the only part I know about that is with my car running and kessey in my pocket I needed to unlock the doors before I could open hatch from outside.

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
They cant make the range too great or someone could start your car with you inside your house while its parked outside or in your garage.

If you want to get super crazy use of wireless range signal extenders could also be used to steal a car.

Always keep key on person, its the best way of dealing with the situation.