GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

The official "Post your deal!!!" thread

Steve-O

Passed Driver's Ed
2018 GTI S Manual purchase

Below split up from the dealers will help you.
MSRP
Selling price without TTL
Destination fee
Dealer fee
Incentives included in selling price (do you qualify for all of them)

I contacted most dealers in that area and bought mine from Stohlman. Buying experience was very smooth.

This thread had several reports from the past and should give you enough info about it.

I made a deal around mid-month on my new 2018 GTI S manual. I bought the car from Alexandria VW in VA, but they brought it over from a nearby dealer in MD to get me the color I wanted (DIB).

Original MSRP: $26,415
Packages/Options (monster mats, etc.): $420
Destination Charge: $850
Total Sticker Price: $27,685

Sale Price: $22,200 includes -$2000 DC2 incentive for financing (2.9%)
Dealer Processing Fee: $799
Military: -$500
Partner Program (SCCA): -$500
Final Price plus taxes & tags: $21,999

Christophunkk

Picked up a used 2016 GTI Autobahn MT in black with 9800 miles for $22,250 before tax. Not a scratch on it. Purchased about a month back or so.

chilly1

Many people seem to list deals here with specifics like 'Doc Fee' and 'Taxes' but don't list Destination fee, which is a fixed national $850 cost AFAIK. So do people include Destination fee in what they are calling MSRP... or are they getting that waived... or are they just terribly non-scientific people that don't understand how useless their data point is without this information?

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Many people seem to list deals here with specifics like 'Doc Fee' and 'Taxes' but don't list Destination fee, which is a fixed national $850 cost AFAIK. So do people include Destination fee in what they are calling MSRP... or are they getting that waived... or are they just terribly non-scientific people that don't understand how useless their data point is without this information?

Since destination fee is included in the MSRP listed in window sticker by the manufacturer, its included in the selling price (most cases!) mentioned in this thread.

Dealers started separating this for their deceptive marketing.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
The absolute easiest way to do things is make 2 buckets

dealer

government

Government bucket is not negotiable (tax, title, license are typically all that there is...). Dealer bucket is negotiable (car price, doc fee, prep fee, destination, add ons, markup, finance rate, term of loan, downpayment, trade in, rebates, cashback, etc..). The further down you get dealer bucket the government bucket goes down by default (assuming you pay sales taxes). We all have a different government bucket. Frankly it should be ignored and not talked about because it confuses people as people never give enough info for 2 buckets or put wrong things in wrong buckets (like doc fee...it's not a government fee!).

Compare dealer bucket to other people's dealer buckets of same car and see if the deal is fair.

cb1111

The absolute easiest way to do things is make 2 buckets

dealer

government

Government bucket is not negotiable (tax, title, license are typically all that there is...). Dealer bucket is negotiable (car price, doc fee, prep fee, destination, add ons, markup, finance rate, term of loan, downpayment, trade in, rebates, cashback, etc..). The further down you get dealer bucket the government bucket goes down by default (assuming you pay sales taxes). We all have a different government bucket. Frankly it should be ignored and not talked about because it confuses people as people never give enough info for 2 buckets or put wrong things in wrong buckets (like doc fee...it's not a government fee!).

Compare dealer bucket to other people's dealer buckets of same car and see if the deal is fair.
Correct, but you also must remember how a dealer's mind works and that board members are a far smaller group of "savvy" buyers that understand this stuff.

Most (all?) dealers won't negotiate the processing fee. They do that so that they can tell other customers "yes, it may not be mandated by law, but we charge the same fee to all customers." That said, they can (and often will) reduce the cost of the vehicle to compensate for part of all of that fee, but you'll always see it on the bill of sale.

Let me give you an example. In VA, the processing fee is normally either 699 or 799. In MD it is capped at $300, so you can generally tell a VA dealer "the MD dealer 10 miles down the road has the car I want too. They will match this price but their processing fee is $300. Will you reduce your selling price to match their final cost?" That could save you $500.

Don't obsess about a couple of hundred dollars if everything else is "better" than the other dealer (access to loaners, hours of operation, quality of the service dept etc.) and remember that your time is worth something too.

Finally, once you've done your deal, don't come back here and say "did I get a good deal?" - given the "fact" that everybody else on the forums always gets a better deal, the responses will be useless and will only make you feel bad - even if you got a killer deal for your area.

Last edited:

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
1. price (include ALL dealer fees)

2. interest rate/pre payment penalties (if financed)
3. how you did on your trade in if applicable (this is a number that is hard to quantify but you know if you are happy with the number)

omit TTL as that is location dependent

as already mentioned only one person got the best deal, what matters is you are happy with yours and more important hopefully you love the car.

I did want to mention you can get it serviced/wtty anywhere.....so don't let that matter where you purchase. The value of a good dealer to work with in purchasing and location matters in deciding where to buy but consider service as a separate transaction

Props to Valenti VW of Watertown CT for purchase ease/price.

cb1111

1. price (include ALL dealer fees)

2. interest rate/pre payment penalties (if financed)
3. how you did on your trade in if applicable (this is a number that is hard to quantify but you know if you are happy with the number)

omit TTL as that is location dependent

as already mentioned only one person got the best deal, what matters is you are happy with yours and more important hopefully you love the car.

I did want to mention you can get it serviced/wtty anywhere.....so don't let that matter where you purchase. The value of a good dealer to work with in purchasing and location matters in deciding where to buy but consider service as a separate transaction

Props to Valenti VW of Watertown CT for purchase ease/price.
While you can get warranty work done anywhere, some dealers will give you preferential treatment if you bought the car there - free state inspections, more/better loaners etc are the dealer norm here in NoVA, so a decent service center is a factor (how important is up to you) in the purchase.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Finally, once you've done your deal, don't come back here and say "did I get a good deal?" - given the "fact" that everybody else on the forums always gets a better deal, the responses will be useless and will only make you feel bad - even if you got a killer deal for your area.

Lol...this is so true.

Hki2LA

2018 Pure White GTI SE- sticker $33,760 Included Titan Black leather seats, SE leather page, Dimming Mirror with Homelink. Got it for $29,015 + tax and license

Joviemk7

Ready to race!
I got ripped for a Golf S at 20k out the door cause I was a foolish 18 year old but hey I got a 100k mile warranty so there is that.

edit: NEVER shop for monthly payments

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
I got ripped for a Golf S at 20k out the door cause I was a foolish 18 year old but hey I got a 100k mile warranty so there is that.

edit: NEVER shop for monthly payments

Agreed, never shop on what you can afford monthly. Always shop on price. But your price was not that bad, was it? I got my GSW S for $18,800 with 72k extended warranty.

3rdOne

Go Kart Champion
excited about my 3rd VW. Last one I had was 1994-5. My deal:
New (20 miles) 2018 GTI Autobahn Silver White metallic, DSG with dealer installed "options" (not really options as they were installed already) of tinted windows, rear bumper protection, Monster Mats, cargo organizer.
$34,500 out the door- including tax, tags and registration and two ice cream bars while waiting