GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 Golf R Custom Front License Plate Mount

efa5

Ready to race!
Just bought one from the ebay listing and installed on the car. Great fitment and super fast shipping!

Highly recommended!

Mike/RAREHARE

Ready to race!
So my question, does it set off the parking sensors. I have post going on today about this subject. I was told to review your post and see the mount. It looks very good btw.

Mike

jeoje

I have a few comments about this mount and my experience with vw671 in general.

Several months ago I decided I wanted to replace the Rho-Plate I've been using for years 1) because I didn't really like how it looked and 2) it occasionally set of my parking sensors. I stumbled on this thread and, being an amateur designer and 3D printer myself, I was having some trouble justifying dropping $100 for this. I thought that if the files weren't available, I'd just model it myself and I put off contacting vw671. Some thought went into how I would design it, then realizing how much work and testing it would take, I set the project aside. Here I was, months later, without a sweet 3D printed license plate mount, still rocking the occasionally crooked, annoyingly protruding rho-plate.

So recently, the 2nd time I considered this product, I looked at it from a different perspective with 2 main points.

1) I know full well vw671 put a ton of time into the design and testing for this. That's worth a lot. Even dialing in the printer to get consistent ABS prints of this design could be a real pain.

2) While the price seems high, he's in the ballpark of other, less elegant products for this application. Ultimately, it is just as robust as the rho-plate, but far more flexible and compatible with the MK7, especially with parking sensors.

Needless to say, I decided to pull the trigger. I PM'd vw671 on Monday, he sent me an invoice, I paid, and it shipped a couple hours later. Had it in hand Wednesday from CA to NJ. Best communication and order turn-around I could hope for.

This mount is great, I love it. The print itself is high quality, with the finish even better than it needs to be for this application, and the fit matching exactly the way it should.

The only suggestion I would make for improvement is to make press-fit inserts on the back of the rear plate for nuts as the screw/bolt holes will strip easily. I had the same problem with the metal rho-plate, but it was easy to see and install nuts on the back of the screws for that.

I added a frame and some screw head caps to mine to clean up the lines a bit.

Thanks vw671 -- Money well spent.

Attachments

• Image9045743433424859619.jpg
    Image9045743433424859619.jpg
    255.8 KB · Views: 355

vw671

Autocross Newbie
I have a few comments about this mount and my experience with vw671 in general.

Thanks vw671 -- Money well spent.

Thank you jeoje, I've seen your Instagram and I'm impressed with your 3D printing work so your words me mean a lot to me.

Just to touch on a few points from my angle. 3D printing may seem cheap at first glance but making products in volume isn't very cost effective. It is slow, expensive, and very labor intensive. The key word there is volume, I've been running my 3D printers almost continuously for 2 years 24x7. Just to keep them operational is labor intensive and costly to say the least. Literally last night I spent about 3 hours repairing a faulty harness cable due to shear wear and tear. And that was one of the more basic repairs which come up.

I average about 3-5 hours of labor every day producing/preping plates which spread around the clock. Other then actually sleeping or out with the family I'm working on it in some way. Some days I will make less than minimum wage for sure...LOL.

Regarding the nut inserts. I've toyed with the idea numerous times but what stops me is the fear that someone potentially can damage their grill but over torquing them down. I rather have someone strip my backing plate than damage their grill. Personally I've re-installed the same plate kit on my personal car easily over 10 times and I never had an issue with it. I even use a cordless drill to do it (*which I don't recommend). In almost 700 kits sold only one person has reported to me he stripped his.

But I'm rambling now... :D

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
Thank you jeoje, I've seen your Instagram and I'm impressed with your 3D printing work so your words me mean a lot to me.

Just to touch on a few points from my angle. 3D printing may seem cheap at first glance but making products in volume isn't very cost effective. It is slow, expensive, and very labor intensive. The key word there is volume, I've been running my 3D printers almost continuously for 2 years 24x7. Just to keep them operational is labor intensive and costly to say the least. Literally last night I spent about 3 hours repairing a faulty harness cable due to shear wear and tear. And that was one of the more basic repairs which come up.

I average about 3-5 hours of labor every day producing/preping plates which spread around the clock. Other then actually sleeping or out with the family I'm working on it in some way. Some days I will make less than minimum wage for sure...LOL.

Regarding the nut inserts. I've toyed with the idea numerous times but what stops me is the fear that someone potentially can damage their grill but over torquing them down. I rather have someone strip my backing plate than damage their grill. Personally I've re-installed the same plate kit on my personal car easily over 10 times and I never had an issue with it. I even use a cordless drill to do it (*which I don't recommend). In almost 700 kits sold only one person has reported to me he stripped his.

But I'm rambling now... :D

aight this is on my radar now. Need one for the alltrack and the others kept tripping sensors. Thisis great!

vw671

Autocross Newbie
aight this is on my radar now. Need one for the alltrack and the others kept tripping sensors. Thisis great!

Sorry I'm currently only offering kits for MK7 and MK7.5 Golf-R's. They are custom fit specifically for these models and will not work on any other model.

I'm currently working on a MK7 GTi model but I don't expect anything available for at least a few months.

greg.diel

I'm currently working on a MK7 GTi model but I don't expect anything available for at least a few months.

Getting ready to pull the trigger on a new Mk7.5 and got very happy when I check the end of the thread and saw this. I like this one a lot more than the Platypus tow hook mount i was looking at. Much cleaner looking.

Now the question is how long can i get away with no front plate in St. Louis... or how do i temp mount so it doesn't screw up the paint/bumper while you get it finished.

vw671

Autocross Newbie
Getting ready to pull the trigger on a new Mk7.5 and got very happy when I check the end of the thread and saw this. I like this one a lot more than the Platypus tow hook mount i was looking at. Much cleaner looking.

Now the question is how long can i get away with no front plate in St. Louis... or how do i temp mount so it doesn't screw up the paint/bumper while you get it finished.

Just line the back of the plate with foam padding and tie strap it on the GTi grill :D

The GTi grill isn't gloss black like the Golf-R grill so your not really going to see scratches on it anyway..just keep it away from any painted surface.

greg.diel

Just line the back of the plate with foam padding and tie strap it on the GTi grill :D

The GTi grill isn't gloss black like the Golf-R grill so your not really going to see scratches on it anyway..just keep it away from any painted surface.

Thats kinda what I was thinking. Maybe run a rubber gasket around the edge of the plate.

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
Sorry I'm currently only offering kits for MK7 and MK7.5 Golf-R's. They are custom fit specifically for these models and will not work on any other model.

ahh ok! Well if you have the time and get around to the wagons let me know!

greg.diel

Ah man. I just realized you said you were working on an Mk7, not an Mk7.5 facelift. :-(

I will keep an eye out and see if you bring out a model for the 7.5 grill.

vw671

Autocross Newbie
Ah man. I just realized you said you were working on an Mk7, not an Mk7.5 facelift. :-(

I will keep an eye out and see if you bring out a model for the 7.5 grill.

Yep...currently working on the MK7 GTi first. I'm pretty busy so things are moving VERY slowly. I'll have more time after summer..

Just a disclaimer though...I have a few prototypes but if they don't meet my standards in terms of ease of installation, appearance, and performance I will not sell them. I will not bring something lack luster to market just to make a profit.