GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Feels like engine is cutting out when going WOT

mk7gti2.0

Ready to race!
So a few days ago I was changing my plugs with another set of brisk ER12s and noticed the day after, anytime I go WOT it feels like the engine is cutting out. At first I thought it was clutch slip but the rpms don't move up or down when it cuts out it just like completely loses power for a second then takes off then cuts out again and repeats all the way to redline. I'm at a loss of what it could be I have all new coil packs and just ordered another set of oem plugs in case I somehow got defective plugs which seems unlikely. I checked the gap and all are at .025-.026 and I was running Cobb stage 2 93 oct. I flashed it to he stage 1 and still happens then on the stock map it seemed to happen less but still did it. Dsg fluid level is good. I just put some injector cleaner in hoping if my injectors are clogged itd help a bit. Anyone have some insight as to what the problem could be? If I push the gas down like 60-70% it seems to be ok all the way up to redline.

mk7gti2.0

Ready to race!
Well I figured it out and feel pretty dumb. I thought maybe the new brisks we're defective so bought a new set. Was putting them in and decided instead of just getting them tight I would break the torque wrench out and torque to 22 ft lbs. Apparently I didn't have the last set tight enough which is wierd because I've never once used a torque wrench for plugs and never had issues before... I went ahead and out the new oem plugs in for now and will save the brisks er12s for my next plug change.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Thought it was supposed to be 18lbft?

Glad you figured it out though.

mk7gti2.0

Ready to race!
I believe the manual states 30 NM which is around 22 ft lbs. Definitely wierd tho as I've never once had that problem. Now she is back to being a rocket!

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I've seen people strip spark plug holes by not using a torque wrench. I wouldn't trust the old method of hand tight plus 1/4 turn on an aluminum head.

mc55

Passed Driver's Ed
I've seen people strip spark plug holes by not using a torque wrench. I wouldn't trust the old method of hand tight plus 1/4 turn on an aluminum head.

Why not? I do them by feel all of the time and in 15+ years never stripped one. Maybe if you are an animal you would, but not if you simply go tight + a little. Never ever seen someone strip one, not in any shop I've worked in or at the track during changes.

mk7gti2.0

Ready to race!
I always did it by feel as well and you would be surprised at how far off you can be without a torque wrench. Definitely will be using one every time. Especially since how big a difference it made not only with the misfires but with knock corrections has improved alot!

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I'm not a torque nazi by any means, but I do use a tq wrench for plugs.

Whenever I do, I feel like the 18ft lbs is over torquing. Had I done it by feel, I probably would have only gone to 10ish.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
I've never bothered either. Bottom it out. Give it a little tug. Done.

Same. Plugs have a dead soft or crush washer, that little tug compresses that. Done.

Maybe I'm missing something, but how would incorrectly torqued plugs cause what you experienced? If you were getting blowby or leakage it wouldn't idle well. I'm not 100% sure but I don't think thats a directional type of item, like if there was a 30 degree difference in angle of the ground strap the plug just suddenly wouldn't work.

Is it just as possible you didn't have a coil seated or one of the coil grounds wasn't tight?

mk7gti2.0

Ready to race!
Honestly I didn't think it would make that big a difference. Like Hoon said had I done it til I felt it was tight enough it would of been about 8 lbft off. Reguardless of how it caused the issues I had torquing them down fixed the problem. I made sure like 6 times that the coil packs were fully seated as well.

cbr600rr

Go Kart Champion
Why not? I do them by feel all of the time and in 15+ years never stripped one. Maybe if you are an animal you would, but not if you simply go tight + a little. Never ever seen someone strip one, not in any shop I've worked in or at the track during changes.

But some people just don't know better but try anyways and tighten too hard or too light. I'm not saying this negatively. It's the way it is. The best of them read up on the specs and the how to.