GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

R MHGERD - 2016 Golf R DSG Oryx White - The "not a build thread" build thread

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Just wanted to check in and say thanks for giving me advice on instagram the other day; I was looking at build threads and knew I recognized this car! Looks good man keep it up.

Glad I could help out and thanks for the kind words!

myles1

Ready to race!
This car is gorgeous! My next car will definitely be an R... Just trying to decide between white or black, I've always been a black car guy, but your car is certainly making the decision tricky. I've got a few years to think it over anyhow.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
This car is gorgeous! My next car will definitely be an R... Just trying to decide between white or black, I've always been a black car guy, but your car is certainly making the decision tricky. I've got a few years to think it over anyhow.

Thank you! I'm partial to white cars just for upkeep, I don't have the patience for black paint maintenance at all...

If I were in Canada I'd be looking at a Reflex silver R too. It's too bad we didn't get that option in the US, I think that's a great middle ground and super stealthy as well.

myles1

Ready to race!
Thank you! I'm partial to white cars just for upkeep, I don't have the patience for black paint maintenance at all...

If I were in Canada I'd be looking at a Reflex silver R too. It's too bad we didn't get that option in the US, I think that's a great middle ground and super stealthy as well.

Reflex silver is gorgeous, especially with black rims! I wonder why you guys don’t get it down south?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steezemachine

nice!

Nice car dude...I used to see you driving in Vernon I think..we had some sort of overlap with our commute..I live in Alhambra and would drive the 710 and get off at Atlantic/Bandini and see you on District Blvd.. lol...I have a modded golf sportwagen in white..

anyway, nice car, keep up the good work.

Last edited:

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Nice bar dude...I used to see you driving in Vernon I think..we had some sort of overlap with our commute..I live in Alhambra and would drive the 710 and get off at Atlantic/Bandini and see you on District Blvd.. lol...I have a modded golf sportwagen in white..

anyway, nice car, keep up the good work.

Thanks! I definitely know your car, I'd see you getting on at the top of the 710 or exiting at Atlantic/Bandini all the time. Love the sportwagen! Welcome to the forum as well!

st1ckyGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
How has the ED springs/B8 shocks combo been? I really like the look of the drop on your R and I would imagine it would be similar on my GTI

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
How has the ED springs/B8 shocks combo been? I really like the look of the drop on your R and I would imagine it would be similar on my GTI

They've been great, but I installed them at the same time I installed the 034 dynamic camber mounts and HD rear mounts, so those added a bit of harshness overall. The car changed quite a bit with that upgrade haha. I'd definitely recommend upgrade shocks if you can, they just work better than the stock shocks with springs, especially in the long run. I chose Bilsteins over Konis because I just don't see myself ever actively adjusting suspension.

I've got a bit of special spring sauce cooking now, should have some updates after this weekend :cool:

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
Are you running the Rennform 18x9's with spacers too? Any issues with rubbing in hard driving?

I think I'll be following the same route as you with the whole CC to R. I'll just upgrade my shocks and other simpler mods, drive the hell out of this car as is, then move onto a used MK7/7.5 R (or maybe a newer R if they're still good) in the far future if it's financially possible lol.

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Are you running the Rennform 18x9's with spacers too? Any issues with rubbing in hard driving?

I think I'll be following the same route as you with the whole CC to R. I'll just upgrade my shocks and other simpler mods, drive the hell out of this car as is, then move onto a used MK7/7.5 R (or maybe a newer R if they're still good) in the far future if it's financially possible lol.

I've been running 10mm front and 5mm rear spacers, no rubbing when I did an autoX but I think that only worked because my tires are narrow and I've got -2+ degrees camber up front.

I regret nothing about getting the R, it's extremely good for utility with the seats folded down, fits 4 people if needed, and is hilarious fun to drive!

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
I've been running 10mm front and 5mm rear spacers, no rubbing when I did an autoX but I think that only worked because my tires are narrow and I've got -2+ degrees camber up front.

I regret nothing about getting the R, it's extremely good for utility with the seats folded down, fits 4 people if needed, and is hilarious fun to drive!

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Hmm, I think I'll give that size a try when I buy my next set of wheels. So many wheel choices these days it's hard to decide... but the Rennform's look so good on a white car, especially with that fitment! Just don't know if I'm liking it enough on a Black/Carbon Steel colored GTI.

Yeah I'm sure the R is a riot. It rains here a lot up north so not a lot of FWD traction in the streets... I'm definitely eyeing an R in the future!

flipflp

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'16 Golf R DSG
Well this thread has been needing an update for a while! Trying to keep some order to the mods, when I left off:

Upgraded to the EMD lowering springs for the Audi RS3, slightly higher rates all around, but different spring lengths so my right height changed in the rear. It's up about 3/4" which could actually have a positive effect on traction, but takes away from my stance points I know. I also test fit their RS3 bar which would allow one higher setting with spherical sway bar links as well.

Windows were also tinted using Llumar CTX 35 on all windows, and Llumar Air 90 for the front window. Amazing heat rejection, the car is comfortable to be in all the time now.

20180811_181344-01 by Jon Collier, on Flickr

20180811_181223-01 by Jon Collier, on Flickr

I took this setup and had a great time at the Buttonwillow Kart Track for an "AutoX" event. Not SCCA, so you just went out and ran as many times as you wanted, and because it's an actual track, no cone duty!

Butonwillow-Kart-Day-4 by Jon Collier, on Flickr

Butonwillow-Kart-Day-10 by Jon Collier, on Flickr

Butonwillow-Kart-Day-11 by Jon Collier, on Flickr

It got hotter later in the day and I could tell the car was down on power but I was feeling better in the car for sure. I took some GoPro video from early, middle and last runs:

https://youtu.be/cjQXPhcvLqQ
https://youtu.be/fq-6x9Y53YQ
https://youtu.be/dMmR1BrfkrA

I also purchased an IE Downpipe and had my UM tune re-flashed. No pictures of that, but definitely a worthwhile mod.

Fast forward a little bit, and work changes means I now work for a wheel manufacturer, and sometimes that means surprise wheels!

Motegi 2-Piece Forged MR408
18x9 ET45
Satin Black Lip, Brushed Dark Tinted Center

20181113_091632 by Jon Collier, on Flickr

Tires are Nitto NT-05 255/35-18 Front and 235/40-18 Rear, to mimic the Audi RS3 Dynamic reverse staggered wheel and tire setup. Sure you can't rotate your tires, but it does help in rotating the car! More grip up front, less mechanical grip in the rear means oversteer is more prominent, if you can break traction with these tires. They grip amazingly well, no faults to my Conti ECS, since these are a 200 TW tire.

GolfrMotegiMR408 by Jon Collier, on Flickr

GolfrMotegiMR408_3 by Jon Collier, on Flickr

20181124_131607_HDR by Jon Collier, on Flickr

That aggressive of a tire deserves a track day! I was lucky to get in on a very full Performance Driving Clinic track day at Buttonwillow Race Way last month. This was my first time on a big track with the car, so there was a lot of learning. By the end of the day I had a better feel for the car and track, possibly getting the "most improved"? award, at least from one of the instructors.

Some GoPro of the last session with Instructor Jim:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLx7-4JrGK8&t

After the first of the year I've got an appointment to have my IE Intercooler and CTS catback installed, that should mostly wrap up this stage of the car!