GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mk7 gti apr s2 vs 7R apr s2

Tico63

Ready to race!
Hey everyone,

Wanted to share my experience test driving the new facelifted R for the first time. A friend of mine recently tuned his R and immediately went APR Stage 2. I test drove it and the drive felt very numb. Immediately when driving the car I can tell how heavy it is compared to the gti. The R on the other hand has this floaty feel, almost too refined for my liking. I did a 0-60 launch and it's mindblowingly fast. That was my first time even launching an AWD car so you can imagine my delight at APR S2. I can definitely see why some will pay the extra 15k to experience the AWD. From a roll it felt heavy but the power was there and it didn't stop pulling, ever, it just kept going. But overall, it's an amazing platform but felt a bit like a small SUV to me. The R has a more grown up feel to it and the gti feels way more nimble and enjoyable to drive in my opinion. I think if I was older and in a better place financially where the extra hundreds of dollars didn't matter, I'd take the R. If I was building a project car, the R would be a dream.

My Mk7 GTI is APR S2 as well:

We did a 40 roll to about 115: I lost by about a car. Here is the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ojd5w6eB6M

We did a 40 roll to about 100: I won by about a half a car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Q6QAtNWmag

I know if we had pushed to 120-130 there would be several car lengths.

Overall, I think the R is the much better car & platform. But taking into account my budget and personal enjoyment I would choose the GTI again.

Last edited:

Obakong

Ready to race!
Wonder if the 7speed is slower or faster than the 6speed.

I’d like to see a 7R APR stg2 vs. 7.5R APR stg2 to see how the DSGs compare.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tico63

Ready to race!
I'd like to see a comparison between a tuned R and a GTI with a tuned IS38.

The GTI would win because it's lighter. AWD becomes FWD from a roll. It's just a heavier GTI from a roll.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I'd like to see a comparison between a tuned R and a GTI with a tuned IS38.

Download the Dragy app and poke around on the leaderboard. You will see a variety of setups and what they run 0-60, 60-130, 1/8 mile, 1/4 mile, etc.

Long story short, GTIs are the faster IS38s on the roll, Rs are faster from a dig

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
The GTI would win because it's lighter. AWD becomes FWD from a roll. It's just a heavier GTI from a roll.

The gearing is also different between a gti and a R, so it still depends exactly what roll speed you’re going from.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
The gearing is also different between a gti and a R, so it still depends exactly what roll speed you’re going from.

The only thing we have a large sample from (besides 1/4 mile) is 60-130 on Dragy. There are 55 VWs who have posted 60-130 times, most of them are MK7s.

The fastest IS38 MK7 is a GTI in Brazil, with a 9.58. I'm the second fastest IS38 with a 9.73, followed by two Golf Rs...one owned by a tuning company claiming to run 9.9 on Brazilian pump gas (E25 I believe) with stock IC, and another that went 10.0 on E30.

After that it's a whole hodgepodge of IS38 GTIs and Rs mixed together.

On the 0-60 side, there are 100 times posted, out of the top 50 I believe there are only 2 GTIs. The fastest R has a 2.3 second 0-60 and the fastest GTI has a 3.17. Obviously, there is no comparison between GTIs and Rs below 60mph.

AdamGTI2

Ready to race!
The only thing we have a large sample from (besides 1/4 mile) is 60-130 on Dragy. There are 55 VWs who have posted 60-130 times, most of them are MK7s.

The fastest IS38 MK7 is a GTI in Brazil, with a 9.58. I'm the second fastest IS38 with a 9.73, followed by two Golf Rs...one owned by a tuning company claiming to run 9.9 on Brazilian pump gas (E25 I believe) with stock IC, and another that went 10.0 on E30.

On the 0-60 side, there are 100 times posted, out of the top 50 I believe there are only 2 GTIs. The fastest R has a 2.3 second 0-60 and the fastest GTI has a 3.17. Obviously, there is no comparison between GTIs and Rs below 60mph.

DAMN what you are in the 9s as an IS38 GTI?

Whats your setup? Tune, IC, Meth, etc. etc. ?

mk7rip

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
mk7
Download the Dragy app and poke around on the leaderboard. You will see a variety of setups and what they run 0-60, 60-130, 1/8 mile, 1/4 mile, etc.

Long story short, GTIs are the faster IS38s on the roll, Rs are faster from a dig

with dragy does it start the timer as soon as you pass 60 mph? wondering if you could start at 40 or so, so you have momentum, or if you basically have to hold 60mph and do a 60 roll

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion

I gotchya bud, I didn’t mean it in any negative or positive way about either, other than depending what speed you exactly start the roll race at may be beneficial to one or the other depending exactly where the same turbo is in the power-band at start or for how long depending on the slightly different gearing. That’s all, personally I think the gearing in the gti (assuming we’re talking about both being dsg’s in this example) would seem to make it a better roll racer 99.9% of the time and being lighter never hurts! I was simply pointing out at certain starting roll speeds, there will also be an advantage for one or the other, which may be enough to counteract the additional weight, at least initially, or that the longer gearing may be more beneficial at keeping the turbo int the sweet spot. Just trying to make the point that there’s more of a difference between the R and an is38 gti than just the weight, in a roll race example.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
He's FBO so definitely an IC and possibly WMI. His tune is by Stratified. It's listed in his signature.

No meth, just E30. PMd him my mods list to keep the thread on track.

with dragy does it start the timer as soon as you pass 60 mph? wondering if you could start at 40 or so, so you have momentum, or if you basically have to hold 60mph and do a 60 roll

You run through the start speed, no need to start at 60.

I gotchya bud, I didn’t mean it in any negative or positive way about either, other than depending what speed you exactly start the roll race at may be beneficial to one or the other depending exactly where the same turbo is in the power-band at start or for how long depending on the slightly different gearing. That’s all, personally I think the gearing in the gti (assuming we’re talking about both being dsg’s in this example) would seem to make it a better roll racer 99.9% of the time and being lighter never hurts! I was simply pointing out at certain starting roll speeds, there will also be an advantage for one or the other, which may be enough to counteract the additional weight, at least initially, or that the longer gearing may be more beneficial at keeping the turbo int the sweet spot. Just trying to make the point that there’s more of a difference between the R and an is38 gti than just the weight, in a roll race example.

Agreed, hope my post didnt come across as aggressive.

Personally i hate the 3-4 gap on the DSG GTIs. The Rs hide their weight disadvantage pretty well...I don't know what i'd run with 300lbs extra, but i don't think it would be as fast as many of these Rs.

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
No meth, just E30. PMd him my mods list to keep the thread on track.

You run through the start speed, no need to start at 60.

Agreed, hope my post didnt come across as aggressive.

Personally i hate the 3-4 gap on the DSG GTIs. The Rs hide their weight disadvantage pretty well...I don't know what i'd run with 300lbs extra, but i don't think it would be as fast as many of these Rs.

Oh no bud, just wanted to make sure I didn’t come off as an R homer either lol

The R was the right car for me, mainly because the awd in rain and snow as a yearlong daily driver, doesn’t mean the gti isn’t awesome in its own right especially for what you can buy them for in the real world if you’re a good shopper/negotiator. I keep thinking about grabbing a gti as an extra car as I have a good is38 laying around lol. Although I might just grab the cheapest awd sport wagon and stuff the turbo on that, damn you can buy those new dirt cheap if you’re willing to shop/travel, bunch of easily made fast vw stuff on this platform, relatively cheap, it’s really amazing imo