GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Volkswagen GTI / Golf MK7 General Topics > Golf R Discussions

Old 02-28-2018, 12:20 AM   #35
Urlik

Drives: Golf 7R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane_Anigans View Post
This happened a lot when I was a BMW service advisor. Before authorizing a warranty battery replacement, we'd have to download the data from the DME so the shop computers could analyze the driving profile, and if certain criteria were not met, they would not approve warranty replacement. Customers were generally unhappy to hear that, when the replacement cost was around $400 (parts and labor).

On newer cars, city driving barely charges the battery, if at all. At idle, the alternator is producing enough power to keep up with the electrical demands of the car, and not much else (all those control modules need electricity to work). You have to either drive on the freeway regularly, or get a charger/battery tender.

I'm not sure about how the VW warranty works in Canada, but I asked the service department at my local dealer, and they said that if the battery failed for any reason while the car was under warranty, it's covered.
I do know they have to hook it up to the VAG Tool to change the battery. The tool can test it too.
Urlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 12:47 AM   #36
oldorange

Drives: Mk7 R DSG + APR Stg 2
Update here on the battery being denied warranty. After calling the Ops manager and speaking with him, he told me that VW Canada was refusing to warrant batteries for low mileage cars. He said he had 10-12 refused in the last year and even tho' its not explicitly written that you must do minimum 10,000KMs per year VW jus twant allow the warranty claim. To his credit he refunded the cost of the battery and labor. Some faith in my local VW dealership now restored.
oldorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 02:33 AM   #37
lcubed

Drives: 16 LSG 6MT DCC/NAV R
fwiw, finally got my own battery replaced under the campaign this morning.
2.5 year old R with a mere 13,400 miles.

the only dealer requirement was that the vehicle had less than 35,000 miles accrued.
lcubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:13 PM   #38
buyingconstant7

Drives: 2015 GTI Autobahn DSG
I work as a dealer tech at a VW dealer, we warranty batteries no matter what if it's under the 4 years/80,000km. But recently, VW did change battery warranties so the dealer may have a valid point, since VW post-dieselgate is beginning to get stingy with warranty claims. Also, yep we charge about the same for a battery. I believe the part is $140-150, and labour is 0.7 hours. Fair price? Labour not so much I'll admit but the part at $140 for an OEM battery rated for your starter, electrical system, etc. you can't beat. I would stick to OEM.
buyingconstant7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:18 PM   #39
oldorange

Drives: Mk7 R DSG + APR Stg 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by buyingconstant7 View Post
I work as a dealer tech at a VW dealer....
I was not overly concerned about the cost of the OEM battery. The labour cost aint terrible either. I mean, you cant get your washing machine fixed for <$100.

buyingconstant7 do you see many modded cars in for warranty work? What is your dealership's approach to this?
oldorange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:59 PM   #40
George Ab

Drives: GTI MK7, BMW E90
Quote:
Originally Posted by buyingconstant7 View Post
I work as a dealer tech at a VW dealer, we warranty batteries no matter what if it's under the 4 years/80,000km. But recently, VW did change battery warranties so the dealer may have a valid point, since VW post-dieselgate is beginning to get stingy with warranty claims. Also, yep we charge about the same for a battery. I believe the part is $140-150, and labour is 0.7 hours. Fair price? Labour not so much I'll admit but the part at $140 for an OEM battery rated for your starter, electrical system, etc. you can't beat. I would stick to OEM.
Not questioning the pricing, I am questioning that the OEM battery is "properly" rated for our car. The OEM battery has a woefully inadequate capacity for all the electrical load of our cars. I believe this is at the heart of the battery problems. That is why at the first opportunity I upgraded to a larger capacity battery more suited to our load requirments.

http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7926
George Ab is offline   Reply With Quote