GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Talk me out of leaving VW

NickC

Ready to race!
So I have been a VW guy for years, love my MK7. Recently purchased a house farther from work in a more rural area, and the roads can get bad in the winter. There have been many times that I have really needed a truck because things just don't quite fit in a hatch. Started looking at trucks, the F150 ecoboost really fits the bill but I can't afford to have an extra car payment, so it means trading the GTI in. The plan is and has been to eventually buy an aircooled VW or MK1 project to restore and go to shows.

Talk me out of trading in the MK7 GTI on an Ecoboost.

Anyone here own an EcoBoost? How do you like it? Would you daily it over your MK7?

Mhamstead19

Ready to race!
I grew up in the northern part of WV and never had anything other than small fwd cars and never got stuck in winter and surprisingly enough my fathers dodge pickup always had a heck of a time in the snow....also how often are you hauling things? 1x a week? Everyday? Could you potentially borrow a truck if you needed to? Or buy an older beater truck and use it only when you need a truck. Just some thoughts....now if you were talking F-150 raptor.....that’d be hard to decide

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
So I have been a VW guy for years, love my MK7. Recently purchased a house farther from work in a more rural area, and the roads can get bad in the winter. There have been many times that I have really needed a truck because things just don't quite fit in a hatch. Started looking at trucks, the F150 ecoboost really fits the bill but I can't afford to have an extra car payment, so it means trading the GTI in. The plan is and has been to eventually buy an aircooled VW or MK1 project to restore and go to shows.

Talk me out of trading in the MK7 GTI on an Ecoboost.

Anyone here own an EcoBoost? How do you like it? Would you daily it over your MK7?

It's always good to do the math on these. What's cheaper, buying a new truck or getting snow tires and renting a truck for the 5 times a year you need it? I had a similar decision to make not that long ago. I still have my GTI and I'm still happy with my choice.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Buy a cheap truck for the 3 months a year the weather is shit, or the few times a year you need to haul stuff.

If you buy right and maintain it, there is almost no depreciation on older trucks. A solid, good running truck is always worth 3-5K, so you could keep one a few years and get your money back on it if you buy right.

steddy2112

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE
Why does it need to be a new tippy top of the line truck?

You know what I love about my reliable beater truck?

Giving not the slightest shit except for it's mechanical well-being.

adam1991

Banned
Used Toyota pickup + solid snow tires for the GTI = way less $$ than buying a new pickup.

Plus, you'll use that pickup a few times now and then--and the GTI a whole lot more than you think.

Loonster

Ready to race!
Used Toyota pickup + solid snow tires for the GTI = way less $$ than buying a new pickup.

Plus, you'll use that pickup a few times now and then--and the GTI a whole lot more than you think.

What he said. It is not uncommon for people here in Minnesota to have the rust bucket winter car and keep the good one in the garage. Buy a used Toyota or Nissan truck or maybe an old Suburban. A new F150 Eco will set you back more than 40k.

In fact you don't need a truck. Used Subaru? Rav4? Honda CRV? Jeep? The cheapest Jeep Liberty will go through tons of snow. Don't buy a gas guzzler that you'll be stuck with year round for 3 months of snow dude.

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
Co-worker purchased a new 2016 V6 economic boost. 4wd.
He loves it. Tows some big boats and he said the V6 hardly notices them.
Has a small andarge turbo. Very quick. Only thing I do not like is the front wheel wells are not plastic. They are a very thin presses fabric. All electronics are above this area. I did search and find aftermarket plastic ones for him but he has not switched.

Suggest 17" winter wheels for MK7.
Some have hooked up small tow mounts. Might be OK to tow a small trailer for short trips.

How much driving? F150 does better HWY but still a truck.
With all new Fords out there are used trucks being traded in.
My F150 is 22 years old and still goes.

Consider used truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
Here are examples. Not fancy but with a bed and you do jot have to worry about them. No cleaning. Bad roads, who cares.
Was in town and stopped by a used car dealer. The topper one even has a rack. Haul all you want.
I have a friend who buys Toyota trucks with 150,000 on them and drives another 100,000. 1.5 hour round trip to work. Asked why he does not just get a used civic and he said he wanted a truck. He is a truck guy only.

I also noticed this vehicle at the bottom. If you have roof racks for the MK7 how about a storage platform for trips to Lowe's? This guy had wood in his this AM.

Also having a truck to drive during the week makes getting back into the MK7 a dream. Like getting in a Porsche. You also have a backup vehicle. Mk7 needs service? Drop it off and drive the truck. No rush.

The kids will likely always want to take the old truck. The Nissan's have small jump seats in back. Kids love them.

beardedGTI

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport 6mt
NickC: which part of town did you move to? I’ve been here 13 years now and I could count on one hand the number of days I’ve seen where you had to have a specialty vehicle to drive during the winter. I realize getting out into oldham amd bullitt the roads can get worse, but I’m still not sure it nessecitates a new vehicle.

I have a friend who has the ecoboost (paid more than my GTI cost, had 60k miles already). It’s a nice vehicle. I wouldn’t personally want to DD it since it’s so big and you know how this city is with traffic and tight roads. But he doesn’t seem to mind it. He is a “truck guy” though.

For everyone suggesting a beater truck... it’s not a bad idea but understand prices are insane in this town due to demand. I’ve seen 200k mile trucks on Craigslist going for $20k. Tacoma’s are particularly rare, especially after the rusty frame buyback of the early 00 models. When I lived in the deep south, beater trucks were plentiful and you couldn’t throw a stone without hitting one in someone’s front yard with a for sale sign on it. Not in Louisville though. I’ve given up trying to find one.

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
OP,
This used car dealer had 7 trucks.
3 small and 4 full size.
Worth driving to an area that has trucks.
I know the owners and they can hunt for what someone wants when they go to auctions. Look around as you should be able to find one with modern techology.

Colowyo

Passed Driver's Ed
I’ve had two Ecoboost F-150’s and absolutely loved both of them. We bought a large toy hauler and had to get a dually, but my 2014 FX4 longbed ecoboost was probably my favorite truck I’ve ever owned. We pulled a 6000 pound camper with it, and it did a great job.

I’ve had a number buddies with them as well, and they’d all recommend it. It’s a great truck. It’s damn fast as well. We live at 6500 feet, so having the turbos was nice. Especially hauling up the mountains.

The dually is a pain to drive, hence my GTI as a daily driver. I can’t help but think that the guys above are correct when they say to get a cheap truck for the days when you absolutely need it. But if you decide to get a truck, I’m certain you’ll be happy with the ecoboost. I got around 14-16 MPG,s, but I have a heavy foot, and really liked hammering those turbos.

Edit: FYI, I had no problems with it as a daily driver. I always parked out in BFE, but I do that with all my vehicles.

NickC

Ready to race!
Thanks for all of the comments. Let me clarify that I won't buy a new truck, looking at 3-4 year old pick ups. My normal commute is all highway. As far as hauling goes, borrowing is a no go. I honestly don't have any close relatives that are cool enough to loan out their vehicle. The plans for the future are lots of camping, fishing, and possibly a boat. I have been looking at a few used beaters but the market seems kinda dry around here for them.

Still unsure, I have been wanting a full size truck for a long time and being a home owner presents plenty of opportunities to use one. Hell just the other day we went to the big box store and found a great deal on a TV. I had to drive the fam home and go back because it wouldn't fit, and I still had a hard time getting it in the hatch.

Also if I do get a truck, I will be looking for a MK1 to VR swap and restomod.

One more thing, I also have to deal with stop and go traffic every afternoon now, so I kinda want an auto for my daily and the MK7 is a manual.