GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MIB2: Pressing the On/Off/Volume knob for 15 seconds or so

TonyRC

On a Discover Media Generation 2 (MIB2) unit, what function precisely is invoked by pressing the On/Off/Volume knob for 15 or so seconds?

This appears to be an undocumented function in the VW user manuals (well, I haven’t found it described in any of them) and there appears to be some confusion about what it is in various places on the Internet. Some say it is a reboot of the system, others describe it as a reset, or even a hard reset. To me, a reboot and a reset are two entirely different functions. I see them as follows.

A reboot is simply shutting down the system and then restarting it, preserving all modifications that have been made to the system and all personalised settings. A reset, on the other hand, is restoring the system to the state that it was in at a specified point in time (such as the time when the car left the factory = factory reset), losing all subsequent modifications and personalised settings.

TonyRC

It's a reboot.
Source: doing it many many many times ;-)
I happened to visit my local VW dealership yesterday and one of the Service receptionists also confirmed that it is a reboot.

But he added that they (the Service receptionists) are advised by the technicians to switch off the Discover Media display first by pressing the On/Off/Volume knob lightly. Then you hold down the knob for 15 or so seconds in order to reboot. Have you encountered this advice before?

Chillout

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
SEAT Leon FR ST
I happened to visit my local VW dealership yesterday and one of the Service receptionists also confirmed that it is a reboot.

But he added that they (the Service receptionists) are advised by the technicians to switch off the Discover Media display first by pressing the On/Off/Volume knob lightly. Then you hold down the knob for 15 or so seconds in order to reboot. Have you encountered this advice before?

I never tried it with the Discover Media. But if the dealer says so, it doesnt hurt to follow the advice.. :D