GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Factory overfilled engine oil?

goldenstateofmind

Picked up my first GTI a month ago. 700 miles on the odometer so far and I love everything about the car. Checked oil levels for the first time yesterday (5 min after shut off) and it looks like it's more than just slightly overfilled. I can't read this dipstick very well but it's almost at the twist. Per the manual this seems like area A? My garage is pretty level.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

adam1991

Banned
Do this: after it's good and warm, shut it down and wait a couple of minutes. Pull the dipstick, wipe it clean.

Then wait 5 minutes.

Put the dipstick back in and pull it right back out again.

What do you see?

goldenstateofmind

Do this: after it's good and warm, shut it down and wait a couple of minutes. Pull the dipstick, wipe it clean.

Then wait 5 minutes.

Put the dipstick back in and pull it right back out again.

What do you see?

Thanks Adam -- good suggestion. I tried this and the oil line is cleaner and more visible on the dipstick. But it's still at where I thought it was -- almost at the twist of the dipstick (about 1 or 2 cm below it).

Time to invest in an oil extractor?

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I wouldn't worry about it.

It hasn't caused an issue for 700 miles, it's not going to suddenly cause a problem now.

Considering new engines burn a lot more oil than engines that are broken in, it might actually be deliberate. I couldn't tell you if mine was overfilled, I've never pulled the dipstick.

adam1991

Banned
The owner's manual talks to this. It's OK to be a little high on the stick.

If you're truly worried, just extract some and move on.

Tigsel

Ready to race!
I'd rather be slightly underfilled than overfilled, IMO.

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
My last oil change at the dealership is at the same level as well. Its been 2K miles now and havent noticed any symptoms of over filling. Although it does make me feel a bit uneasy to be filled that high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

goldenstateofmind

My last oil change at the dealership is at the same level as well. Its been 2K miles now and havent noticed any symptoms of over filling. Although it does make me feel a bit uneasy to be filled that high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea, I was uneasy as well, so I went ahead and extracted about 0.5L of oil from the engine two days ago. Now the oil level is still sitting above upper limit of the hash marks on the dipstick.

People909

Ready to race!
Picked up my first GTI a month ago. 700 miles on the odometer so far and I love everything about the car. Checked oil levels for the first time yesterday (5 min after shut off) and it looks like it's more than just slightly overfilled. I can't read this dipstick very well but it's almost at the twist. Per the manual this seems like area A? My garage is pretty level.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Where exactly is the oil level supposed to be on these sticks? At the top of the brail things?

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
Where exactly is the oil level supposed to be on these sticks? At the top of the brail things?

Yes, I would say so. Although I have the opposite problem, every 2or 3 months I have to refill it to keep it full.
I told this different times at the dealer but they insist that is normal.

TheSwede

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Golf7 Alltrack/Cupra
Is it okay to reuse the old drain plug, or necessary to replace?

As JC_451 says.

If you don't have a new one use the old. Shouldn't be a problem, haven't gone broke at any oil job I have done.

/Peter