GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

How to deal with road Rage?

ILoveButter

Ready to race!
You should be more concerned with Scolville heat units more than brand. And you don't want one that deploys a mist, especially when used outdoors. Lastly, it doesn't work on everyone, no matter the brand you have.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Yup, and watch out for the cheap ones that have a high scolville number, they are likely fudging numbers Fox is 5.3 million units, and sabre defense which is what tons of departments use is up there too. Also foam sucks because its easier to wipe off, but that's mostly used by security in buildings with lots of people.

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
Just back off and let the moron get down the road. It's a fools' errand to get in a confrontation over a piece of asphalt.

One thing i've realized after a lot of highway driving and my stupid younger years... it's much better to have the idiot in front of you than behind you. Now i just try to let them by and let them go rage with someone else. It won't take long for them to come across another moron and then let darwin take its course.

It's different when you have a car you don't care about, but i love my R so i don't want to provoke an idiot into hitting me. Being not-at-fault doesn't mean anything if you love your car.

chiefhiawatha

Ready to race!
Yup, and watch out for the cheap ones that have a high scolville number, they are likely fudging numbers Fox is 5.3 million units, and sabre defense which is what tons of departments use is up there too. Also foam sucks because its easier to wipe off, but that's mostly used by security in buildings with lots of people.

Actually have this too, maybe I’ll toss it in the glove box.

SABRE Red Pepper Gel - Police... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004NKSPR8?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

RichardCranium

Ready to race!
This is going to sound counterintuitive.

Ever since I have had 2 Kimber pepper pistols in the door pocket (after an incident when someone approached my car for absolutely no reason, so baffling I think he had the wrong car), I am absolutely calm in situations that would have aggravated me. Knowing you have 90 minutes of agony on tap for anyone dumb enough to want it brings serenity. I even have one with me when I ride.

Kimber PepperBlaster II - Gray https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004MG63X6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_ORZuBbC2GQQ81

That's a really bad idea, in my opinion. If you bring your pepper spray to a gun fight, odds are, you're not going to be on the winning end of it. And if you feel endangered enough to use pepper spray on someone, you're probably endangered enough to justify use of a firearm. Pepper spray is for women and for people in the few liberal parts of the country that effectively prohibit concealed carry or vehicle carry.

I have a pretty aggressive attitude when I drive, I'm working on it though. I just dont have much tolerance for stupid people, you want to merge into a lane when there was plenty of time for you to get over but now you are in the shoulder? Yup I'm sucking up to the car in front of me and I'm not letting you in. Driving under the speed limit? You're going to get highbeamed and flipped off. I'm not patient at all, but like I said I've been trying to relax

I don't miss this passive aggressive sort of driving from when I lived in the midwest. Drive with your head, not your manhood. Don't block people from merging over just to be a prick.

adam1991

Banned
That's a really bad idea, in my opinion. If you bring your pepper spray to a gun fight, odds are, you're not going to be on the winning end of it.

Especially in Florida. (And especially if you park in a handicapped space for "just a minute while I run in for some smokes" or whatever...)

plastermaster

Passed Driver's Ed
The real question with how to handle road rage (in others) is how far are you willing to go with someone you don't know, who might not be wrapped to tight (like a little off in the head). The other person is someone you likely will never even see again, and you have know way of knowing how it will end. Some folks interpret the 2nd amendment as a recourse to people who don't drive the way they like, or who questions their own driving.

I focus more on my own road manners. The HWYs are crowded in many places and mistakes are easy to make. I try to give everyone a break. If we all try to help each other there will be less accidents.

RichardCranium

Ready to race!
The real question with how to handle road rage (in others) is how far are you willing to go with someone you don't know, who might not be wrapped to tight (like a little off in the head). The other person is someone you likely will never even see again, and you have know way of knowing how it will end. Some folks interpret the 2nd amendment as a recourse to people who don't drive the way they like, or who questions their own driving.

I focus more on my own road manners. The HWYs are crowded in many places and mistakes are easy to make. I try to give everyone a break. If we all try to help each other there will be less accidents.

That's sort of my point. If you're willing to escalate to the next level and blast someone with pepper spray, why not just go all the way? I live in Arizona where everyone carries a gun, if I messed around with pepper spray on someone, I'd probably be facing a gun in response.

It's not worth it. I don't carry any weapons in the car at all. I live and work in decent neighborhoods so it's not something I'm concerned with.

ILoveButter

Ready to race!
That's sort of my point. If you're willing to escalate to the next level and blast someone with pepper spray, why not just go all the way? I live in Arizona where everyone carries a gun, if I messed around with pepper spray on someone, I'd probably be facing a gun in response.

It's not worth it. I don't carry any weapons in the car at all. I live and work in decent neighborhoods so it's not something I'm concerned with.

Yup, the OC spray is a non lethal defense show of force, if you have the can out and point it at someone you should at minimum have your other hand on your gun. I always carry and the OC is treated as a let's unfuck this situation before it goes to no return ticket

Gibberoni

Ready to race!
To the OPs question:

I drive on these small country roads for 30 miles each way, to and from work so I know exactly what you mean. There are so many times where I am coming up on a truck going 45 in a 55, and then when I get behind them they slow to a crawl, brake checking and swerving around so I cant see when to safely pass. Generally, I find a spot where I can pass them by looking like I am going to turn, they back off and get in their lane, then I gun it and pass them. Always a middle finger and screaming coming from the car when I pass them. Then they usually ride my bumper when I continue at 70... why couldnt they go 70 before that?

Luckily for me, there is a really low angle turn I have to take and can usually run up to the turn and JUST before the turn pump the brakes a bit and scare the s**t out of truck riding me, as I take the turn. Their face 99% of the time is pure horror.

This happens at least once a month.

robmarktoo

Ready to race!
That's a really bad idea, in my opinion. If you bring your pepper spray to a gun fight, odds are, you're not going to be on the winning end of it. And if you feel endangered enough to use pepper spray on someone, you're probably endangered enough to justify use of a firearm. Pepper spray is for women and for people in the few liberal parts of the country that effectively prohibit concealed carry or vehicle carry.

I don't miss this passive aggressive sort of driving from when I lived in the midwest. Drive with your head, not your manhood. Don't block people from merging over just to be a prick.

Yeah those silly Libs! Not even willing to murder someone for being threatening! The damn pussies use less than lethals!! harhaharharharh

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
Yeah those silly Libs! Not even willing to murder someone for being threatening! The damn pussies use less than lethals!! harhaharharharh

Was this really necessary?

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
To the OPs question:

Luckily for me, there is a really low angle turn I have to take and can usually run up to the turn and JUST before the turn pump the brakes a bit and scare the s**t out of truck riding me, as I take the turn. Their face 99% of the time is pure horror.

This happens at least once a month.

Lol I have done this a number of times. Someone gets aggressive behind me for what ever reason (usually some big ass suv). I bait them and pick up the pace knowing a tight turn is coming up. I breeze through the turn while they slam on the brakes.

In retrospect, not a cool thing to do on my part. Its not worth seeing anyone get injured over. But at times I cant help but poke at these dumb asses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gogo GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I used to be a road rager. It comes out now and then but not like before. Thats what a shitty bay area commute will do to you.

What has helped me calm down is realizing that I dont have to take it personally as if that other driver singled me out to disrespect me. Most of the time, the other driver simply made a mistake or wasnt paying attention. Its easier to “pardon” someone for being a bad driver than when its viewed as a personal attack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AAK1992

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm as guilty as any other of road raging in my younger years- hot head, arrogance, and immaturity were potent. Luckily I never hurt anyone.

Nowadays there is no way I will risk my home, career, financial stability, and family to teach the idiot in the Nissan Altima a lesson.