GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mods you're wasting money on...

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
I'm about the same age and agree, lol.

I'm thinking Kev never never had or heard an open intake on a MK7.

Back when I was in high school, about a million years ago, this was a "thing" on domestics - remove the air cleaner cover and turn it upside-down and replace. Boom, a gap of about ½ inch created all-around, creating those high-speed gasping sounds that chicks dig. Affectionately known as the "Tijuana High-rise". At least it didn't cost one red cent. The prices on some of these ridiculous aftermarket intakes nowadays are breathtaking. Same exact result.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
That's a pretty typical wheel design. You can get just about that exact same design from a bunch of different companies.

Yeah, you know why? Because all of those "different companies" ripped off BBS's original design. The original is timeless, the fakes are all just.. heavy counterfeit crap, for the most part.

Wetelvis

Ready to race!
Back when I was in high school, about a million years ago, this was a "thing" on domestics - remove the air cleaner cover and turn it upside-down and replace. Boom, a gap of about ½ inch created all-around, creating those high-speed gasping sounds that chicks dig. Affectionately known as the "Tijuana High-rise". At least it didn't cost one red cent. The prices on some of these ridiculous aftermarket intakes nowadays are breathtaking. Same exact result.

Haha did the same thing!!
Would flip it on moms 65 Chrysler Newport too, drove her crazy ?

mattkosem1

Ready to race!
I still get excited whenever I hear an engine rumble or a turbo spool like I did when I was 6.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Me too. Doesn't matter how many cylinders or if it's even fast.

cruzmisl

Ready to race!
Yeah, you know why? Because all of those "different companies" ripped off BBS's original design. The original is timeless, the fakes are all just.. heavy counterfeit crap, for the most part.

Preach. ~15 years ago the fakes didn’t exist because China wasn’t pumping out cheap replicas.

bobyjane1234

Passed Driver's Ed
Red DEauto lights.

MDLBC

Ready to race!
I forgot all about this thread lol. It’s been a while

I use it as a “reference manual”’ sometimes on other threads when people state, “item X will give me more horsepower”. The usual defense then becomes “I wanted more sound”. You did the Lord’s work with this thread.

mk6-k

Ready to race!
Too busy and cleaning them is a pain in the ass.

I like spokes. When someone says "BBS wheels", the wheels that pop into your head with the large faces and intricate patterns or wire spokes, are the ones I don't like. I have nothing against the brand, but the design.

Edit: these guys. I won't deny the quality, I just don't like the design. To each their own!

Square1

Go Kart Champion
I just realized I have all the items 1 through 7 bolted to my car.
The catch can got turfed because ugly.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I understand these facts, I am in fact an engineer for a fluid system components manufacturer (fittings, valves, tubing, pressure regulators, etc). The potential for gain is there, however there are multiple threads, videos, and articles with test data showing that gains are minimal, if any, compared to stock systems with the same running conditions. If you have any data sources to prove otherwise (that doesn't come from a product sale page), I'd appreciate a link. Not being rude, I'm genuinely interested to see the numbers.

Most intakes are still drawing in air from the same spot as the stock intake, same temperature. You can only pull in as much air as the system pushes out (continuity equation of fluid mechanics). Continuity does not apply to compressible fluids however, which is what leads to things like turbo flutter. At some point, the size of the intake does not matter because no more air will fit in there.

The stock intake system is likely engineered undersized so the potential for gains can be had. If you route the intake out of the hood, or into a completely heat-shielded and compartmentalized portion, I could definitely see some theoretical gains.

Continuity applies to compressible fluids just as it does to incompressible. The continuity equation for the former contains a non-zero derivative of density, compared to the simple "divergence of velocity equals zero" form for the latter. Which means that turbo flutter occurs for a reason different from the one you listed.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Money pit is right! Here's my recent progression, as a warning to others.

Woe be to you who dippeth thy toes in the performance waters...

- Deep discount on 2017 model reels me in. Money saved!
- Preemptive strike to stay out of trouble = new radar detector.
- Window tint, because Florida.
- OK, I'll buy the pricier higher octane fuel.
- Car corners great, but these AS tires...wow those PS4s sound good. $.
- I figure I'll get a tune and be done, but...
- How about some more sound? Hmm...downpipe seems to fit the bill, plus there's performance potential there. A little trumpety, so what's a few more bucks for the Vibrant resonator?
- Sounds like a protune is little better than a canned tune...more $.
- What's this FMIC all about? Do I NEED that? Ack.
- Oh crap, is my DSG going to start slipping with my awesome protune torque increase? Plus D mode sucks. TCU tune coming. Cha ching.
- These paddle shifters are fun, but annoyingly short. Wow, look at those billet extensions!
- Dogbones, mounts, sway bars, wheels, meth, E85 mix, turbo upgrades, blah blah blah$$$$$$$$$$$$!!!!!!!!! (whoosh)

Thank God I didn't buy an intake! lol

More than half of those are the story of my last year with my discounted 2017 GTI, almost to the tee (minus the Florida part -- I'm in California).
It's a beautiful car, she deserves every penny of that hard earned cash.