GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dsg transmission help

Charley

Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing wel.
I have a concern wiTh my 2016 mk7 gti so I figured I’d ask here a question because I am kinda depressed and wanna trade it in.

About two weeks ago while driving I noticed that the gears aren’t shifting very well. Driving on D , the car goes up to 3-3.5 till it shifts to the next gear. The past few days it has been doing it much more and I am really concerned. Anybody has had any experience of this sort ? Its automatic dsg transmission. The car has 34k miles. Everything runs good but this has got me concerned a lot lately and sometimes when I am fully stopped, there is some kind of metal sound that It seems like its coning from under the car but I couldnt tell for sure.
I wanted to get some opinions before acting.

Appreciate you all.

cbaumy34

Go Kart Champion
Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing wel.
I have a concern wiTh my 2016 mk7 gti so I figured I’d ask here a question because I am kinda depressed and wanna trade it in.

About two weeks ago while driving I noticed that the gears aren’t shifting very well. Driving on D , the car goes up to 3-3.5 till it shifts to the next gear. The past few days it has been doing it much more and I am really concerned. Anybody has had any experience of this sort ? Its automatic dsg transmission. The car has 34k miles. Everything runs good but this has got me concerned a lot lately and sometimes when I am fully stopped, there is some kind of metal sound that It seems like its coning from under the car but I couldnt tell for sure.
I wanted to get some opinions before acting.

Appreciate you all.
Has it been hot? When you are In really hot climates the car can and will hold gears longer.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?ur...share_tid=10739&share_fid=112413&share_type=t

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Because you're ignorant of the way VW's DSG transmission works when it gets hot but still won't listen to what cbaumy34 tells you?

cbaumy34

Go Kart Champion
I left that part out, its been hot as hell. Betwwen 106-110. I live in Corsicana TX, but idk why would the heat affect it.
Makes sense.

Basically from what I read when the car gets heat soaked and loses power. it tries to keep you at a specific power output and to compensate it holds gears longer.

Fmic could help or manual mode.

Charley

Makes sense.

Basically from what I read when the car gets heat soaked and loses power. it tries to keep you at a specific power output and to compensate it holds gears longer.

Thanks fpr the input. Appreciate your time

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Makes sense.

When the DSG fluid gets too hot, the car will rev higher and hold the revs longer to help circulate coolant through the system to help cool the DSG fluid.

Not sure about the heat soak / power output, normally the ECU will just pull timing to prevent any issues when it has to do with boost temps. But if things get really extreme I don't see why it wouldn't tell the TCU to change it's behavior, just haven't heard that before.

cbaumy34

Go Kart Champion
When the DSG fluid gets too hot, the car will rev higher and hold the revs longer to help circulate coolant through the system to help cool the DSG fluid.

Not sure about the heat soak / power output, normally the ECU will just pull timing to prevent any issues when it has to do with boost temps. But if things get really extreme I don't see why it wouldn't tell the TCU to change it's behavior, just haven't heard that before.
Ah probably makes more sense.

I have just read a few threads and they all point to it being normal behavior and the cause stated was the above.

However your explanation makes way way more sense sir. Thank you for the additional knowledge[emoji109]

RogueGTI

Ready to race!
As a DSG owner, im glad I visited this thread. Learned something new, but quite understandable. Also affirmed my strong conviction and preference for manual transmissions.

Charley

How hard are you on your car? It's been over 100 here since May and I haven't noticed it.

I am pretty hard on it actually. Now that its messing up I regret it and gonna start driving a bit more normal. Also , i had my car under carport all night and this morning it was working good. I left it in the sun for an hour and it started doing the same thing again. I am takig it to the VW tomorrow. They said I have warranty till 36k and I am on 34.
Ill keep you guys posted on the outcome and see what they say

russiankid

Drag Race Newbie
I am pretty hard on it actually. Now that its messing up I regret it and gonna start driving a bit more normal. Also , i had my car under carport all night and this morning it was working good. I left it in the sun for an hour and it started doing the same thing again. I am takig it to the VW tomorrow. They said I have warranty till 36k and I am on 34.
Ill keep you guys posted on the outcome and see what they say

Your transmission is part of powertrain warranty which is 5 years 60k miles. You have plenty of time.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Stop worrying.

BTW ask the rep at the dealer that claimed the DSG is NOT a part of the powertrain warranty to explain why and put it in writing.

Would be interested to see how they respond.

FYI the Rransmission is part of the powertrain warranty.

http://www.vw.com/warranty/