GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ATR's OEM plus 2017 GTI Sport

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
The clutch...

I thought I was through the woods or that it was just a fluke since it didn't do it again since Saturday.

Then yesterday came along...
NOPE, clutch is definitely on crutches:

Last edited:

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
I just installed a Sachs SRE with new flywheel. Love it so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
I just installed a Sachs SRE with new flywheel. Love it so far.

I'm currently weighing in all of my options including having the dealership see if they can warranty it since it's still so new. Spoke to a service advisor today and they said that the clutch is covered by the warranty if they find a defect. If they find hot spots it may not be covered.

Priced out a stage 2 clutch at a local volkswagen indy shop and it came in at just under 2k installed.

This one does indeed look promising and it'll likely hold everything that I plan on doing with my car:
http://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?p=221274

How do you like the Sachs Sre (more details please :D)?

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
The dealer will not cover it. Mine said the same thing, so I went with a local shade tree mechanic who installed it for $350 plus the parts.

It holds great (is38), feels similar to stock after break-in since its dmf

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
The dealer will not cover it. Mine said the same thing, so I went with a local shade tree mechanic who installed it for $350 plus the parts.

It holds great (is38), feels similar to stock after break-in since its dmf

Yeah, considering that I deleted the clutch spring and the delay valve (both of which I refuse to reinstall) I have a feeling that they won't be so willing to warranty the clutch :confused:

I just called the local indy shop about the clutch kit they recommended to me... South bend stage 2 with a single mass flywheel. Rev hang should be reduced but chatter and general drivability should still be good. With a fluidampr and a iAbed rear main seal I wouldn't have to worry about chatter, oil leaks, or another clutch for a long time.

...my other option is to push for a warranty replacement and trade up to a R with DSG...

These fork in the road decisions can be tough at times! :eek:

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
It just got real!

For those of you who are still interested in the progress of the car here's the latest... Decided to go with the option of keeping the car simply because I know that I really would like to go with the 7.5 Golf R. And they are still a few months away from dealership's showrooms. When they finally do hit showrooms I'm sure they will be marked up a good deal above MSRP. No thanks. I have more important things to do with my cash :p

Such as getting my current GTI's clutch upgraded...
I'm going with the stage 3 daily clutch from Southbend since it seems to be the best fit for me and my plans.

Also installing the iAbed rear main seal and Fluidampr while I was at it.

All this work and still stock tune? :confused:

NOPE :D

Going GIAC Stage 2
Haven't found exactly what downpipe I'm going with, but I'm leaning towards the AWE downpipe to match up with the Touring exhaust I currently have.

Told you guys this would be a interesting build no matter what direction I went in :cool:

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
AWE downpipe should be here next week sometime.

Ordered a Wagner intercooler as well. Unfortunately it's on backorder. So I'll likely be a couple of weeks before I can do stage 2.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Tire update

I've been running Nokian WRG3s for the past year. They have done VERY well so far with the bit of snow we had yesterday.

Attended the work Christmas party in the city and the streets were not treated where the event was held. I remember a Nissan maxima or altima trying to pull away from the light that I was next to. I could hear their tires trying to find traction on the street... I pulled away WOT just to see what they could do. Granted my traction control was pulling a mad amount of torque back. But I pulled away quite fast estimating a 1/3 throttle amount. :cool:

Fantastic winter mode tires! I can't recommend these enough!

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Mods update

Clutch goes in this coming Wednesday.

Wagner intercooler coming direct from Germany. should be here Monday. (shipped Thursday, IMPRESSIVE :eek:)

All these mods have got me pretty thin, not sure if I'll go all in and have everything put in at once or piece by piece yet. (don't have the tools to feasibly do the installs myself so I'm having a local VW shop take care of it for me).

Also need to think about a oil change. And lets not forget spark plugs as well since I'll be going stage 2.

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
And then this happens...

Got side swiped waiting to pull into the car wash to get rid of the salt on my car... :(

Attachments

• 20171216_161914_HDR.jpg
    20171216_161914_HDR.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 410
  • 20171216_162140.jpg
    20171216_162140.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 413
  • 20171216_171518.jpg
    20171216_171518.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 416

cbaumy34

Go Kart Champion
Got side swiped waiting to pull into the car wash to get rid of the salt on my car... :(
Ahh man

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk