GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Swapping steering wheel w/ paddle shifters into 1.8T TSI?

starshippoopers

Hi everyone,

First post here, just picked up a 2016 Golf Comfortline with the 1.8T TSI. I ended up getting the auto for a number of reasons, and while I'm enjoying the powertrain so far I miss the functionality of having paddle shifters and it's really the one drawback for me with the car.

My main question is if anyone knows whether or not the steering wheel wiring harness would accept inputs from the wheel for the paddles. If it was a matter of installing the necessary parts (TDI/GTI/R steering wheel w/ paddles, airbag, etc...) and the rest being plug and play or requiring some quick programming I will probably pursue it, but otherwise it's probably more effort than it's worth. Just wondering if there would be commonalities between the regular Golf & the GTI/R so that the harnesses are the same.

I'm finding it difficult to find any info on this since most are trying to put the mk7 wheel into the mk6 and earlier which has other issues associated with it.

Any help or pointers with this would be greatly appreciated.

toledospeed

Go Kart Champion
Hmmm. I thought all 1.8t auto 6 speeds had the paddle shifters? Is this a model year change, diff between USA aad Canada, or did the lowest trim with optional auto transmission always come without the paddles? My 2015 1.8t SE Golf Sport has them, so for a swap, there is a 1.8t part out there for you. Are you sure the aren't there, they are tiny lol.

starshippoopers

Hmmm. I thought all 1.8t auto 6 speeds had the paddle shifters? Is this a model year change, diff between USA aad Canada, or did the lowest trim with optional auto transmission always come without the paddles? My 2015 1.8t SE Golf Sport has them, so for a swap, there is a 1.8t part out there for you. Are you sure the aren't there, they are tiny lol.

This was my confusion, I'd read reviews that mentioned paddle shifters in the regular Golf. The American brochure for the Golf mentioned paddle shifters being optional in all of the trims, though I wasn't sure if this was referencing the TDI/DSG combo.

After checking the US website for the Golf though, sure enough there are paddles in the photos. So I guess that answers my question. Just curious if I were to introduce a wheel from whatever mk7 model with paddles if the wiring harness would accept the signals from the paddles without needing to be swapped out.

And no, definitely don't have the paddles already haha. It's weird that Canada gets fewer options but in the 2016s they appear to be more upscale here, yet they omitted the paddles.

Thanks for the response.

coolvans1988

Should of gotten to TSI S, the S over the regular base model is well worth the $1-2K difference. Luckily the dealer let me return the base 2016 golf tsi for the tsi s (salesperson confusion lol).

But the 2016 golf tsi s does have the paddle shifters.

starshippoopers

Should of gotten to TSI S, the S over the regular base model is well worth the $1-2K difference. Luckily the dealer let me return the base 2016 golf tsi for the tsi s (salesperson confusion lol).

But the 2016 golf tsi s does have the paddle shifters.

Canada has different trims than what's offered in the US. I got a fully loaded Comfortline with most of the goodies, but not even the highest trim comes with paddles. Glad you were able to get that worked out though.

Peds04

Hi everyone,

First post here, just picked up a 2016 Golf Comfortline with the 1.8T TSI. I ended up getting the auto for a number of reasons, and while I'm enjoying the powertrain so far I miss the functionality of having paddle shifters and it's really the one drawback for me with the car.

My main question is if anyone knows whether or not the steering wheel wiring harness would accept inputs from the wheel for the paddles. If it was a matter of installing the necessary parts (TDI/GTI/R steering wheel w/ paddles, airbag, etc...) and the rest being plug and play or requiring some quick programming I will probably pursue it, but otherwise it's probably more effort than it's worth. Just wondering if there would be commonalities between the regular Golf & the GTI/R so that the harnesses are the same.

I'm finding it difficult to find any info on this since most are trying to put the mk7 wheel into the mk6 and earlier which has other issues associated with it.

Any help or pointers with this would be greatly appreciated.

How’d you go with it mate?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk