Review of Ed's MK7 Headlight replicas

racerx20

Ready to race!

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Where are the adjustment knobs/gears?
Also, it seems high beams on the GTI mk7 variants of these headlights are borderline useless. Anyone have that issue?

baymax7

Passed Driver's Ed
Just wanted to mention close to almost two years having these headlights on (I think) I have had two intermittent drl out, one on each headlight. One today on the drivers side and one a month ago on thed passenger side. Turned off the car, plugged obd11, restarted the car, cleared codes and it's gone. I was wondering if anyone had these issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

hallu

Passed Driver's Ed
Just wanting to ask a few questions:

Do the 7.5 style headlights have a better build quality than the mk7? It would make sense that he would improve his mistakes with every new light, just curious if people feel the quality is better if anyone has experience with both

The jitter is just from a combination of no auto-leveling + the sharp cutoff of HID making jitter more obvious, right? I have found videos of jitter or bounce happening on other cars and it seems a no brainer given the movement in a car's suspension. Its not from something specific to the Ed's headlights, correct?

Where would I put silica bags in the headlight to capture condensation without making a safety hazard? Wouldn't the heat from HID cause the bags to burn, or is there a discreet place to put them?

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Just wanting to ask a few questions:

Do the 7.5 style headlights have a better build quality than the mk7? It would make sense that he would improve his mistakes with every new light, just curious if people feel the quality is better if anyone has experience with both

The jitter is just from a combination of no auto-leveling + the sharp cutoff of HID making jitter more obvious, right? I have found videos of jitter or bounce happening on other cars and it seems a no brainer given the movement in a car's suspension. Its not from something specific to the Ed's headlights, correct?

Where would I put silica bags in the headlight to capture condensation without making a safety hazard? Wouldn't the heat from HID cause the bags to burn, or is there a discreet place to put them?

1. Not necessarily, he doesn't make the lights himself, they're just sourced from whatever supplier in Asia. I noticed most if not all 7.5 and 7.5 style headlight replicas exhibit leak leakage from around the DRL's.

2. Bad jitter occurs when the projector isn't fully secured in the housing and bounces more than from regular movement. This isn't something specific to the headlights he sells. Can happen to any one.

3. I wouldn't put silica bags in the headlight, no need to. But if you do this, you can just tape the bag somewhere accessible away from the bulb itself.

Jon B.

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'15 GTI & '07 TBSS
Just wanted to mention close to almost two years having these headlights on (I think) I have had two intermittent drl out, one on each headlight. One today on the drivers side and one a month ago on thed passenger side. Turned off the car, plugged obd11, restarted the car, cleared codes and it's gone. I was wondering if anyone had these issues.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I've had a recurring issue with drl flicker when cold on my driver's side for probably the last year. It goes away when warm. I don't have obd11 and I don't get any warning lights, so I've left it as is. I know it's not your problem, but it seems like drl issues can manifest in a couple ways on these lights. Overall I'm still very satisfied, I have zero issues otherwise.

Light output with the morimoto hid kits is outstanding, and I had zero issues aiming them.

hallu

Passed Driver's Ed
1. Not necessarily, he doesn't make the lights himself, they're just sourced from whatever supplier in Asia. I noticed most if not all 7.5 and 7.5 style headlight replicas exhibit leak leakage from around the DRL's.

2. Bad jitter occurs when the projector isn't fully secured in the housing and bounces more than from regular movement. This isn't something specific to the headlights he sells. Can happen to any one.

3. I wouldn't put silica bags in the headlight, no need to. But if you do this, you can just tape the bag somewhere accessible away from the bulb itself.

I just ask because Ed was saying on this forum before he released his own 7.5 headlights that he felt the build quality on the 7.5 style people were releasing was very low quality. So for him to start carrying a 7.5 style has me questioning whether he 1) has the company he buys from doing it better, or 2) is selling cheaper lights.

I ask because I like the 7.5 style more but if its worse with leaks than mk7.0 I may stay away :(

e_koehler1

Car(s)
2016 MK7 GTI
Here nearly two years later... how are people doing long term with the headlights? I have the halogens on my 2016 gti s, and I'm in between just splashing the cash on some Osrams which would be around $1300 to import. I know once i install i will never have any issues and the quality would be top-notch, but I would really like to save the money and go with Eds, I'm just wary about long term reliability (last thing I want to do is have to buy new headlights again in 2 years, would rather spend more money now and not look back). I just don't know if it's worth double to money just for headlights :( I'm super indecisive lol so someone help me out!
At the end of the day ill prob end up getting eds because its cheaper but i can easily be swayed if yall have different opinions. (you can really see how indecisive i am with this stuff just by reading that nonsense i wrote lmao)

justaw0rm

Anybody know, do the Ed's reps 7.5 headlights use H7 and H15 bulbs? Would I be able to take my current LEDs for my halogen boys and plug them into a Ed's reps set?