GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

MK7 "Random / "Stupid" Questions Thread"

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
I actually like it now. Its better than hearing no exhaust at all from the stock set up. It makes the car more fun to drive and hey, its free. Otherwise you have to spend hundreds of dollars on an exhaust.

Even after installing a CSS muffler, I ended up turning the soundaktor back on after a while.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$50-100 at an exhaust shop should get you a res delete. Then you can hear the exhaust better and have no need for the SoundAktor. I've had mine turned off since 50 miles on the ODO. When I get in cars with it on it takes me a bit to be like "WTF is that noise.... oh right".

Charlotte.:R

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R 6MT
I have it on eco. Eventually I’ll unplug it. I don’t mind the sound, but the frequency makes my V1 vibrate, which is super annoying

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Hello everyone, Has anyone put the Continental DWS tires on their MK VII? Going to be buying some all weather tires for my car and was wondering if anyone has experience with these tires?
Thanks in advance,
DJ
I'm getting the Continental Control Sport A/S installed on September 24th. They're $5. per tire less then the DWS tires and rated higher at Discount Tires.

c72k

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
BMW
Alright folks, I am new to snow during the winters (just moved from CA to Iowa). I am wondering if it’s completely necessary to run snow tires? I just commute down the highway to school, and from what I’ve heard, they clear it pretty quickly. I currently have the stock all seasons (I believe they’re the Hankooks).

And if I do need a winter set, am I ok running just the front wheels to save money? Or need to get a full set. Thanks!

chiefhiawatha

Ready to race!
Alright folks, I am new to snow during the winters (just moved from CA to Iowa). I am wondering if it’s completely necessary to run snow tires? I just commute down the highway to school, and from what I’ve heard, they clear it pretty quickly. I currently have the stock all seasons (I believe they’re the Hankooks).

And if I do need a winter set, am I ok running just the front wheels to save money? Or need to get a full set. Thanks!

First thing is they’re not snow tires they’re winter tires. They work better on cold and dry ground, ice, slush, etc. All winter long they’re better.

If it’s worth it to you, that’s up to you to decide. I waited too long last year to get the winters swapped on, Chicago got an early unexpected snow and they didn’t clear it in the north shore. Snow compacted to ice and I could barely get the car moving from stops on a very gentle grade. Braking was a joke. Stock oem pirelli tires.

When you have winter tires you’re at an advantage in all cold conditions.

If you do get winter tires you’ll want 4. Uneven traction seems like a way to have the back end swing around on turns and other fun stuff.

c72k

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
BMW
First thing is they’re not snow tires they’re winter tires. They work better on cold and dry ground, ice, slush, etc. All winter long they’re better.

If it’s worth it to you, that’s up to you to decide. I waited too long last year to get the winters swapped on, Chicago got an early unexpected snow and they didn’t clear it in the north shore. Snow compacted to ice and I could barely get the car moving from stops on a very gentle grade. Braking was a joke. Stock oem pirelli tires.

When you have winter tires you’re at an advantage in all cold conditions.

If you do get winter tires you’ll want 4. Uneven traction seems like a way to have the back end swing around on turns and other fun stuff.

Looks like I’ll be getting some then. Recommendations? Are the nokian hakkapeliittaa overkill?

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
Cheif covered it all well, but just for further emphasis, winter tires are 100% worth it. Grab a second set of rims and stick winter tires on those, then just change over when needed. You might even be able to get a smaller rim so you can taller tires. That might help with overall grip and comfort, but you wont be swinging around corners.

c72k

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
BMW
Cheif covered it all well, but just for further emphasis, winter tires are 100% worth it. Grab a second set of rims and stick winter tires on those, then just change over when needed. You might even be able to get a smaller rim so you can taller tires. That might help with overall grip and comfort, but you wont be swinging around corners.

Thanks for the input. Guess I’ll be grabbing some 17s and winter tires. :D

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
my suggestion since I assume you are going to school and poor is to look for a set of winter tires/wheels on Craigs (or similar) with dieselgate there are sets available for 400-650 (prices in CT). the only hassle with any 2nd set of tires tho is storage and if you are in an appt that may be an issue. I will add a brand new set of expensive tires/rims is cheaper than any fender bender.

Mud

KillboBaggins

Passed Driver's Ed
my suggestion since I assume you are going to school and poor is to look for a set of winter tires/wheels on Craigs (or similar) with dieselgate there are sets available for 400-650 (prices in CT). the only hassle with any 2nd set of tires tho is storage and if you are in an appt that may be an issue. I will add a brand new set of expensive tires/rims is cheaper than any fender bender.

Mud
(not OP)

I should check CT Craigslist. I was looking for a set of new rims to use the stock ones as a winter set.

It seems as though I'm in the dead zone for good Craigslist stuff... Not as good as Boston or further into CT.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

KillboBaggins

Passed Driver's Ed
Inane question:

GF has a Golf, would it make a difference if I ordered a P3 gauge for a R or naw, since she likes Blues and Purples
Looking at their site they only have gauges under "Golf/GTI MK7" so I would assume it won't matter.

If you want to double check look up the SKU's on whatever site your on. If they match the Golf one you should be good.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

umm0921

Need help with navigation. Purchased my 2015 GTI MK7 used and the SD card was missing for navigation. I purchased updated SD card from VW. Navigation system won't read card. Took car in and VW couldn't see any issue with navigation and ordered new card, same problem. Everything else on radio works just fine. No codes from OBD computer. Any ideas what needs to be checked?