GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ed's Headlights -- technical questions

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I have installed Ed's GTI replica headlights (mk7).

1. I'm looking for the left/right adjustment knobs for the low beam projectors.
2. Are automatic car washes safe for these lights? I never had a problem with my stock reflector headlights. What is the likelihood a car wash won't be good for Ed's replicas?

Thanks.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
I have installed Ed's GTI replica headlights (mk7).

1. I'm looking for the left/right adjustment knobs for the low beam projectors.
2. Are automatic car washes safe for these lights? I never had a problem with my stock reflector headlights. What is the likelihood a car wash won't be good for Ed's replicas?

Thanks.

Open the hood and look down at the headlights. I believe the left/right adjuster is the lower one, and the upper one is the up/down. They should be marked even if hard to see. Use a flashlight. The lower one is in the back left or right hand side depending on the light.

Not sure why you are worried about the headlights in a car wash. It is no different than having any other headlights. Do you mean water ingress? They are sealed the same as any other headlights, so no worries. Now if one of the access covers isn't locked in properly, that can allow moisture into the headlight. If you have any specific concerns about the car wash, let me know....or us know :) .

Lots of people have and use them, with no issues, they are good quality.

Edit: Just FYI, in the technical sections of the forums (since you asked a technical question I guess), there is actually a whole forum dedicated to lighting questions.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Open the hood and look down at the headlights. I believe the left/right adjuster is the lower one, and the upper one is the up/down. They should be marked even if hard to see. Use a flashlight. The lower one is in the back left or right hand side depending on the light.

Not sure why you are worried about the headlights in a car wash. It is no different than having any other headlights. Do you mean water ingress? They are sealed the same as any other headlights, so no worries. Now if one of the access covers isn't locked in properly, that can allow moisture into the headlight. If you have any specific concerns about the car wash, let me know....or us know :) .

Lots of people have and use them, with no issues, they are good quality.

Edit: Just FYI, in the technical sections of the forums (since you asked a technical question I guess), there is actually a whole forum dedicated to lighting questions.

Quality is mainly what I am concerned with. I have not reason to believe they are of poor quality, but I would rather find out from others than after a car wash.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Quality is mainly what I am concerned with. I have not reason to believe they are of poor quality, but I would rather find out from others than after a car wash.

Right, so what are you worried a car wash would cause? This is literally the first time I have ever read about someone worrying about a car wash with aftermarket headlights.

There are no reports of water ingress due to auto car wash I can find. There is a warranty on the headlights yes? Wash it, if you have issues, warranty them and be all like "wtf is up with this shit you guys". Obviously a manufacturing defect is possible, but not probable.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Right, so what are you worried a car wash would cause? This is literally the first time I have ever read about someone worrying about a car wash with aftermarket headlights.

There are no reports of water ingress due to auto car wash I can find. There is a warranty on the headlights yes? Wash it, if you have issues, warranty them and be all like "wtf is up with this shit you guys". Obviously a manufacturing defect is possible, but not probable.

Fogging.

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI

Do you know if it's possible to code front turn signals to make them dynamic?

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
First off OP, what are you doing taking your car to an automatic car wash??? I would never do that! Second, the headlights will be fine.

You said it: I'm taking my car to an automatic car wash :). Given how quickly the car gets dirty with all the dust around here, and also given that the water in my town is complete shit and leaves mineral stains on everything it touches, an automatic car wash is the only viable solution in my situation.