GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf R cup holder retrofit

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
That's correct. From my searching it appears only NAR cars feature the handbrake, and as you mention, all golf Rs feature electronic parking brake. Could be slightly problematic. Bold move would be to purchase full euro center console, remove e-brake components to allow pass through of handbrake components. Although this seems overkill. The question is really about the depth or lack of it in the NAR GTI/golf center consoles. Easiest way would be to measure how close the cupholder that exists there currently sits to the center tunnel bits. It looks like the cascade seen in the GTI/handbrake consoles is maybe an inch or so. If we have that space to the tunnel, it should fit, if above modifications (12v relocate and card holder removal).

Firstboost

Go Kart Champion
Now if we could only get a sliding cover for the 12V socket recess... even though it sticks up a little.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
Bringing this back up again. Sprung for the mk7 euro cupholder. Going to be doing this this weekend. My plan is remove console, remove existing cupholder. I'll be checking for clearance the whole time but I think it should be fine vertically. I know I have to chop out the card holder that is part of the console to have the length necessary. Pic attached for reference. I'll loose the 12v up top, but if I miss it too much I'll relocate it to the bit in front of the parking brake.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
I'll be sure to document what I can. Dremel or the other various cutting devices available at my disposal. I've been looking at various images of the console (thanks ebay sellers who detail so well) and it looks like theres maybe a few supports under that front bit, but nothing that's unreasonable to remove. I figure in for a penny, in for a pound at this point. I'll say it's certainly a more ambitious interior mod.

I've also been thinking about the freed up 12v plug, and i may actually follow some of sabo's work and light into that front cubby area and use the 12v plug for usb power in there (since i have a 15 with mdi inputs).

SVTunit

Ready to race!
I'll be sure to document what I can. Dremel or the other various cutting devices available at my disposal. I've been looking at various images of the console (thanks ebay sellers who detail so well) and it looks like theres maybe a few supports under that front bit, but nothing that's unreasonable to remove. I figure in for a penny, in for a pound at this point. I'll say it's certainly a more ambitious interior mod.

I've also been thinking about the freed up 12v plug, and i may actually follow some of sabo's work and light into that front cubby area and use the 12v plug for usb power in there (since i have a 15 with mdi inputs).

What ever became of this project? Did you have a chance to complete the retro-fit? I am looking to do the same thing and want to see if it's a possibility.

SVTunit

Ready to race!
Ha. Just saw your post on the other section. I gave up as i didn't want to pursue the necessary cuts at the plastic welds. Seemed feasible, but my willingness to pursue the project faded.

Bummer. I was just watching a video on how to take the center console out, it's quite involved! Not sure I want to tackle this knowing it may not be possible. I did this retro fit on my MK6 GTI and loved it.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
More than likely it's possible. Definitely not as easy as the mk6 were. The center consoles are similar to how they started plastic welding the mk6 cupholders in place. I honestly wondered while i had it apart if the mk6 cupholders would be easier to install into the 7s.

sprinks

Drag Racing Champion
there's a pick-and-pull fredericksburg and stafford. I've spotted center consoles also on ebay for relatively little, shipping from north carolina. Let me know if you want the cupholder. It's still sitting on my shelf.

randomhobo130

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 Autobahn DSG
Hi there! Would anyone know a good source for junkyard/salvage parts in VA? If I can find a cheap console, id give this a weekend try xD.
Reviving this quick. Did you ever follow through with trying? This is something that in interested in but sounds like it's quite involved.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk