GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Flying for low price new from dealer? (especially VA/MD)

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
What's so special about DC/VA? Do they get the cars cheaper form VW?

I guess its because of their monthly volume and dealer concentration in that area. Not sure, if they receive any additional incentives from VW.

^^Lol...wondering the same thing. I've read about people getting 8k off MSRP from VA dealers.

Thats the advertised discount (its not the real discount with their marketing tricks). The most i have seen is $7000 when dealers wanted to get rid of 2017s after 2018s hit the showrooms.

VW-MAN1

Ourisman VW in Laurel MD was pretty honest and didn't play any games. I suggest you contact them. Once you agree on a price, I highly doubt they will try to change it on you once you make the trip. Just be clear on what rebates you qualify for in the negotiation.

vjmvjm

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI S DSG PP
If you want true no haggle pricing in the DC area, go to fitzmall.com I've purchased two cars from them, and the experience is delightful. Perhaps I could have purchased the car for a few dollars less after wasting time visiting multiple dealerships and haggling, but I just don't have the patience for all of the nonsense.

David51

No special discounts, just about 20 VW dealers in 3 states plus DC within an hours drive and Lindsay claims to be the largest volume dealer in the US.

Picked up my 2018 Alltrack SE (6MT) Sunday from Linsday. Everything was pretty straightforward, except that it took a long time (they were backed up and had some technical issues, so spent quite a bit of time waiting after signing stuff to finish the deal with the finance person).

Got $6,575 off list, tempered somewhat by the $699 dealer fee.
I negotiated everything via email and they stuck to what we agreed.
Only issue is that I had asked them for total cost (including PA tags) and they gave me a number (which I think was about $50 low based on my own calculations) for that...but then when I was in the finance office the tag fee had somehow jumped by about $200.

I told them that I expected them to honor the bottom line, so after the finance person leaving to talk to a manager, she came back and lowered the price so it worked out to the penny what I had agreed to. (I didn't specifically say I would walk if they didn't honor it, but I would have, and I think they knew that.)

Maybe I could have gotten a better deal (I know I could have if I wanted DSG) but I am satisfied. The inventory of 6MT SE's in the US is fairly small (based on cars.com) so I decided to just pull the trigger. I used a rental car to get there (coming back from a weekend trip) so just dropped off the rental car at Dulles Airport after--it is fairly close.

Oscar LaVista

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI SE 6MT
Chilly-

What will it cost you to get to the dealer in MD/VA? Train/plane, parking, uber, subway, gas to drive home? It'll take you a day, and if anything goes bad on the deal you'll have wasted that time and money.

I went to the dealer in White Plains and offered $1000 more than the MD price, made a pretty quick and painless deal.

Good luck
kevin

sailakfan

Passed Driver's Ed
Chilly-

What will it cost you to get to the dealer in MD/VA? Train/plane, parking, uber, subway, gas to drive home? It'll take you a day, and if anything goes bad on the deal you'll have wasted that time and money.

I went to the dealer in White Plains and offered $1000 more than the MD price, made a pretty quick and painless deal.

Good luck
kevin

If you chose, no need to fly to the dealer. My previous 2 cars were bought out of state without leaving my home. They mailed the paperwork to sign and everything was done over the phone. I added them to our insurance the day they put it on the truck, took them to the local dealer and they slapped their license plate holder. If it had been a used car, I would have flown in for sure.

LetsTakeATrip

Passed Driver's Ed

But this assumes they'll do this. My local dealers refused to get within $3k of the offer I had in Northern Virginia, so flying in was definitely worth it.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
But this assumes they'll do this. My local dealers refused to get within $3k of the offer I had in Northern Virginia, so flying in was definitely worth it.

I pretty much had the same experience with MI dealers. One sales guy even laughed at me and told me that the VA dealer is going to increase the price drastically once i step into the dealership.

LetsTakeATrip

Passed Driver's Ed
I pretty much had the same experience with MI dealers. One sales guy even laughed at me and told me that the VA dealer is going to increase the price drastically once i step into the dealership.

They told me that too! That there was going to be some kind of catch and the price would increase dramatically once I got there. Nope, didn't happen - they were totally straightforward about everything.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
They told me that too! That there was going to be some kind of catch and the price would increase dramatically once I got there. Nope, didn't happen - they were totally straightforward about everything.

Yeah i knew there wasnt going to be any issue as i had a cashiers check from my CU for the exact dollar amount negotiated with VA dealer.

Traditional dealers need to understand the power of social media and how people can spread positive dealership experiences.

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
For a cheap 2017 GTI, avoid Bradley Donald Smith of Columbia, SC …...

COLUMBIA, SC 08/08/2018 (WIS) - Columbia Police are searching for a man wanted for swindling two men out of thousands of dollars last month. Bradley Donald Smith, 43, is facing a charge of obtaining goods/property under false pretenses. Smith is accused of convincing two men to transfer money to his account to purchase cars for them. After receiving the money, Smith failed to deliver the cars but kept the cash.

One victim was attempting to purchase a 2018 Honda Accord for $7,800 and the second victim a 2017 Volkswagen GTI for $5,320. [End]

Update - 09/07/2018: They caught the perp in Vegas and he's being extradited back to SC, charged with two counts of obtaining signature/property under false pretenses. Gee, and such an honest face.

Attachments

• Image2.jpg
    Image2.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 455

cb1111

Yeah i knew there wasnt going to be any issue as i had a cashiers check from my CU for the exact dollar amount negotiated with VA dealer.

Traditional dealers need to understand the power of social media and how people can spread positive dealership experiences.
That's so true. In the 80's (long before the internet) the customer service mantra was that a satisfied customer tells two others, while a dissatisfied customer tells eight others.

Today, a satisfied customer still tells two others, while a dissatisfied customer tells hundreds of thousands.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Today, a satisfied customer still tells two others, while a dissatisfied customer tells hundreds of thousands.

That would be true for a common person. But most people who are active in the forum have spread their positive experience to several people around.

chilly1

I'm finally getting detailed quotes and as one datapoint, when ironing out all the detailed line items:

No trade,
I get partner program pricing
Shopping a manual SE.

The out the door price is about $1300 lower in VA than in CT. Certainly not the huge thousands of dollars difference you see on the listed price, but still substantial. At that difference though, I'm probably just going to see if I can shave a few hundred off by haggling, and skip the travel (the CT price was no haggling - just do the numbers off invoice, passed through dealer cash).