GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2017 GTI S vs Merc 2016 CLA 250

blergrd

Ready to race!
My friend kept saying how her merc was soo much better than mine and finally wanted to put them in their place. She an I don't have any mods, an I am DSG. From a rolling start, around 20 mph and she about 15 ft behind me, I took off in 3rd and she couldn't keep up. I had to pull over because I lost her being so far in front.

With me on the side at 0 mph, she sped by around 60 mph. I took off and easily caught up to her and passed her. At that point we stopped and were next to each other. When we took off, I was in manual and easily walked away from her. I was actually surprised it was that easy for me to win.

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
The CLA AMG would be the more interesting comparison... The base CLA is pretty sad, it's just for people who want to say they drive a Mercedes.

Cameron1292

Ready to race!
The new 4 banger from Mercedes is pretty damn good (quality and tech wise) not performance. Cla also looks great imo but quality isn't up to par. Now the amg 4 cylinder is a monster. Will beat any of the comparable cars (sti, type R, golf r, rs).

Sent from my ONEPLUS 5T using Tapatalk

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
The new 4 banger from Mercedes is pretty damn good (quality and tech wise) not performance. Cla also looks great imo but quality isn't up to par. Now the amg 4 cylinder is a monster. Will beat any of the comparable cars (sti, type R, golf r, rs).

It's also got a beautiful exhaust sound too (the CLA AMG), i was next to one in traffic and i was very impressed.

Cameron1292

Ready to race!
It's also got a beautiful exhaust sound too (the CLA AMG), i was next to one in traffic and i was very impressed.
Mercedes of recent have a way with exhaust notes. Very impressed with them. If only they would bring the true a45 amg over here, I'd have a contender for my next car.

Cameron1292

Ready to race!
Outrunning a car with the same power but carrying a lot more weight. Well done!
Yea they have like 300 more pounds, that's if it wasn't a 4matic lol

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
I've been drooling over the AMG45, but I think their adjustable suspension only has Normal and Sport modes, and no Comfort mode. Optioned the way I would want it, it's about $66,000. They go up to over $72,000. Not worth it for another .2. A DSG R with just a Dinan piggyback on 4 PSI should easily outrun it.

Last edited:

Cameron1292

Ready to race!
I've been drooling over the AMG45, but I think their adjustable suspension only has Normal and Sport modes, and no Comfort mode. Option the way I would want it, it's about $66,000.
But "America doesn't like hatchbacks" so we won't get it. We're getting the a class now, but there making it a sedan lol its hard to think spending 60k on a hot hatch but when it's got the power, looks, and interior of the a45 it's worth it. And to think type R markup was hitting 60k lol

dwvw

Go Kart Newbie
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BBf7qHTH5o

My Tomioka Golf R vs Canada's fastest AMG CLA45. It has an AMS prototype turbo, water meth, etc etc. His launch control programming was screwed up so we quit the dig. About 30 seconds in is the roll race.

Cameron1292

Ready to race!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BBf7qHTH5o

My Tomioka Golf R vs Canada's fastest AMG CLA45. It has an AMS prototype turbo, water meth, etc etc. His launch control programming was screwed up so we quit the dig. About 30 seconds in is the roll race.
Good kill. I'd really like to see against an a45 though. They are almost exactly our weight. Not to mention as big as ams is, I wouldn't trust anything on my mercedes unless it was renntech/brabus/kleemann. Prior to my mk7 I've had nothing but mercedes and those are the gold standard. Id really like to see a big turbo mk7 vs a renntech turbo a45. Without ethanol or meth those dyno at 460

dwvw

Go Kart Newbie
Good kill. I'd really like to see against an a45 though. They are almost exactly our weight. Not to mention as big as ams is, I wouldn't trust anything on my mercedes unless it was renntech/brabus/kleemann. Prior to my mk7 I've had nothing but mercedes and those are the gold standard. Id really like to see a big turbo mk7 vs a renntech turbo a45. Without ethanol or meth those dyno at 460

We won't get the A45 here in Canada till next year. I believe AMS has the 1/4 mile record for that platform.

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
I still find it mind blowing that the ECU for most M-B (including the CLA45 AMG) needs to be bench flashed and sent in!

The aftermarket support is much better on the Golf R / GTI with a variety of tuning options

Cameron1292

Ready to race!
I still find it mind blowing that the ECU for most M-B (including the CLA45 AMG) needs to be bench flashed and sent in!

The aftermarket support is much better on the Golf R / GTI with a variety of tuning options
So stupid. On my c350 I needed to remove it and send it to renntech. Car was down a few days. Now that I have vw, I live 15 minutes away from them lol

Last edited:

myles1

Ready to race!
CLA250 is a piece of shit, both aesthetically and quality wise. It was designed just so people could get into a Mercedes without paying Mercedes-level money for it.

Also read that on the CLA the option for an illuminated Mercedes logo is about 70-80% taken, whereas on the S-Class about 5% take the same option. Not sure if there's any truth to it, but it certainly speaks volumes.

Anyhow, nice kill! Glad the GTI reigned superior.