GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CPO 2017 GTI SE- What Would You Pay?

Cherbhy

Car(s)
‘17 GTI Autobahn
$23K seems to be a more reasonable expectation. I wouldn't start negotiations at $19K that's unreasonable.

Do look into a 2018 since it's coming to the end of the season, you might pay a bit more than $23K, but you get a brand new car.

Thanks that is the figure i think I’d arrive at if I went forward. The MSRP he showed me was 33k. He did say he’d do 25 but im not ready to make an offer until I see how I can do on a 2018 SE DSG. If the spread is 5k or more, I’ll likely try to buy the CPO and save the cash since the warranties are pretty similar. Plus, Fender.

suneohair1

Passed Driver's Ed
$23K seems to be a more reasonable expectation. I wouldn't start negotiations at $19K that's unreasonable.

Do look into a 2018 since it's coming to the end of the season, you might pay a bit more than $23K, but you get a brand new car.

Fair and agreed, I read this as being a Sport not an SE. Too many threads :D

youngkibear

Hi Cherbhy,

I'm also in Maryland and was considering similar options (used 2016 or 2017 GTI SE vs new 2018 GTI SE), so maybe my two cents will be helpful for you. Earlier this month, I purchased a new 2018 GTI SE 6MT with leather for $28,463.90 OTD (the sale price was $26,399.11).

The price of a low-mileage 2017 GTI SE 6MT from Carmax was about $27,647 OTD ($24,097 sticker price, plus another ~$1500 for an extended service plan, and $2,050 in TTL). I know that Carmax prices are higher than average, but having worked there I feel reasonably comfortable with their inspection process, vs. some random dealer claiming they looked the car over. In either case, I would have taken the car to an independent mechanic for a pre-purchase inspection, so that's more time/money.

It was absolutely worth to me to pay an extra $816.90 to get a brand new car with a longer warranty (the Carmax one lasts five years from the date of purchase regardless of how much manufacturer's warranty is remaining), and also have the peace of mind that my GTI hadn't been abused by a previous driver, test drives notwithstanding. I'm not an audiophile, so the absence of the Fender Audio isn't a big deal for me. Also, I'm in love with my GTI's Dark Iron Blue paint.

Hope this helps, and good luck with the GTI shopping!

cb1111

Hi Cherbhy,

I'm also in Maryland and was considering similar options (used 2016 or 2017 GTI SE vs new 2018 GTI SE), so maybe my two cents will be helpful for you. Earlier this month, I purchased a new 2018 GTI SE 6MT with leather for $28,463.90 OTD (the sale price was $26,399.11).

The price of a low-mileage 2017 GTI SE 6MT from Carmax was about $27,647 OTD ($24,097 sticker price, plus another ~$1500 for an extended service plan, and $2,050 in TTL). I know that Carmax prices are higher than average, but having worked there I feel reasonably comfortable with their inspection process, vs. some random dealer claiming they looked the car over. In either case, I would have taken the car to an independent mechanic for a pre-purchase inspection, so that's more time/money.

It was absolutely worth to me to pay an extra $816.90 to get a brand new car with a longer warranty (the Carmax one lasts five years from the date of purchase regardless of how much manufacturer's warranty is remaining), and also have the peace of mind that my GTI hadn't been abused by a previous driver, test drives notwithstanding. I'm not an audiophile, so the absence of the Fender Audio isn't a big deal for me. Also, I'm in love with my GTI's Dark Iron Blue paint.

Welcome. Great first post.

Cherbhy

Car(s)
‘17 GTI Autobahn
Hi Cherbhy,

Thanks Youngkibear, I appreciate the point. Sounds like you got a good deal. Im hoping for a similar color to the dark iron blue- I love that color- great choice. I do love music, and I would probably take better audio over a sunroof or leather, but that’s just me. If I bought new, I’d probably be more around the $27,5 range for a 2018 SE DSG, so if it will depend on the cost difference of a CPO vehicle. At less than a grand, I think you’re 100% correct: new is worth it.

randomhobo130

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 Autobahn DSG
Thanks Youngkibear, I appreciate the point. Sounds like you got a good deal. Im hoping for a similar color to the dark iron blue- I love that color- great choice. I do love music, and I would probably take better audio over a sunroof or leather, but that’s just me. If I bought new, I’d probably be more around the $27,5 range for a 2018 SE DSG, so if it will depend on the cost difference of a CPO vehicle. At less than a grand, I think you’re 100% correct: new is worth it.
Maybe wait until the model year end and try to get a deal on a new Autobahn. I have a '17 SE and I love the Fender system. Audio was one of that boxes that needed to be checked for me and this definitely does it. Not THE BEST system out there but it is definitely one of the better ones.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

youngkibear

CB1111, thanks for the welcome. Happy to finally be a GTI owner, and looking forward to being part of the forums.

Cherbhy, it's too bad they got rid of the Fender audio for 2018 SEs. I guess they needed to save money to offer the six-year warranty? I think the audio system in my GTI is pretty good; it's definitely better than the Volvo S40 I traded in and my wife's Civic. The GTI's sound insulation is way better than both those cars, which helps a lot. I personally also would have chosen premium audio over a sunroof, though.

randomhobo130's suggestion is a really good one, especially since it sounds like there won't be much new for 2019. The dealers I spoke to definitely did not like it when I told them that I had no problem waiting for 2019 models to arrive in order to get a better price. I got the sense that they were trying to clear some 2018's in anticipation for the 2019's.

One thing 2018 GTIs lost from previous years were the brushed aluminum lip on the window switches. Not a deal-breaker, but I thought they looked sweet.

IMMT

So, heads up: I was just in the same boat as you, and I decided to go new.

I sent a ton of VW dealers emails this morning and was able to get one down to $27,590 for a brand new GTI SE with a six-speed and leather. Plus, they’ll give me the 0.9% financing as long as I qualify.

As much as I wanted the Fender audio upgrade, it wasn’t worth it to me to buy used. The speakers are the same and you can just add your own sub and amp combo if you really need that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sailakfan

Passed Driver's Ed

I sent a ton of VW dealers emails this morning and was able to get one down to $27,590 for a brand new GTI SE with a six-speed and leather. Plus, they’ll give me the 0.9% financing as long as I qualify.

As much as I wanted the Fender audio upgrade, it wasn’t worth it to me to buy used. The speakers are the same and you can just add your own sub and amp combo if you really need that.

That too a lot better sub and amp than the stock Fender. The Fender is a good sub for a factory stock, but after market would be a different level. Also down the road if you decide to sell, you can pull them out and use it in the new one if needed.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT

You can always get the Helix soundbox upgrade. It's better than Fender and an OEM+ solution, specifically designed for VW

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Do we get to keep the spare in the 2018s with the helix upgrade? Thanks.

Ask BlueHen. You do have to do a little extra work in order to keep your spare but it costs less than $30. So yes, you can keep your spare, you just need to lookup how to do so. Because it isn't specifically designed to keep the spare (it is designed to replace it)

sailakfan

Passed Driver's Ed
Ask BlueHen. You do have to do a little extra work in order to keep your spare but it costs less than $30. So yes, you can keep your spare, you just need to lookup how to do so. Because it isn't specifically designed to keep the spare (it is designed to replace it)

Thank you, will do. Appreciate it.

Cherbhy

Car(s)
‘17 GTI Autobahn
That too a lot better sub and amp than the stock Fender. The Fender is a good sub for a factory stock, but after market would be a different level. Also down the road if you decide to sell, you can pull them out and use it in the new one if needed.

This is also a good point. Pretty confident that I could manage an install, but would be pretty nervous trying it without previous experience with aftermarket audio. And I’m definitely way too cheap to pay someone to do it, haha. The prospect of taking it along to my next is really appealing though.

Cherbhy

Car(s)
‘17 GTI Autobahn

Thanks for the info. Sounds like you’ll be getting a good deal too- esp with .9% financing!! What’s the dealership?