GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Best downpipe for CA use

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
I don't see why not. The exhaust is post cat...as long as you keep the stock downpipe...it shouldn't affect emissions.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Probably a dumb question. I have a 2016 TSI, was thinking of converting to gti exhaust, but keeping OEM DP still installed. Would that pass? I’m also from Hawaii and never had driven in CA until recently. Just wanted to know what to expect.
Upgrading to the GTI downpipe would pass, too. Plus, it would be a better fit to the GTI catback.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

tnthlttr

Passed Driver's Ed
Thanks guys! I'm unfamiliar with the CA restrictions and I read a couple places that mentioned a comparison from car to a stock diagram of the car and wasn't sure if that also meant that changing even the structure of some parts would affect the outcome of passing or not, but it sounds like it's just as long as it passes emissions.

pieguy

Ready to race!
In California you need to pass readiness codes and visual. Don't need sniffer for post 2000 cars. Can't have a CEL and your intake has to be either CARB legal or stock. If they check under your car and see the aftermarket downpipe, they may recognize it's not OEM or just see a cat of any sort and pass you. Kind of a coin flip.

Last edited: