GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

If The MQB S3 Is Any Indication Of The MK7 Golf R...

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
OMFG I LOVE IT!!!!!!

I think its safe to assume that the S3 is a good window into the Golf R

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI

krische

vdubber in training

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion
Please let them bring the DSG to the US for the next R!

krische

vdubber in training
Please let them bring the DSG to the US for the next R!

That's what I'm really wondering. MKV R was DSG, but MKVI R is manual. So may the pattern means the MKVII will be DSG again?

But I think it will be manual only again for a couple reasons
  1. Manual is cheaper, which means VW can sell it at a more attractive price.
  2. The MKVI manual only R seems to be selling better than the DSG MKV did (just my observation)

But who knows, maybe the cost savings of the new modular platform will allow them to sell a DSG R at the current price point.

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion
That's what I'm really wondering. MKV R was DSG, but MKVI R is manual. So may the pattern means the MKVII will be DSG again?

But I think it will be manual only again for a couple reasons
  1. Manual is cheaper, which means VW can sell it at a more attractive price.
  2. The MKVI manual only R seems to be selling better than the DSG MKV did (just my observation)

But who knows, maybe the cost savings of the new modular platform will allow them to sell a DSG R at the current price point.

I don't think they are selling that well, my local dealer has had two rotting on their lot since they came out, Also one of my friends just got one with a ton off MSRP... I was shocked how much they took off.

Bottom line for me is without the DSG the performance of the current R sucks... The DSG is the great equalizer :)

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Car(s)
2008 GTI
I think the DSG says "Hey, I'm more appealing to a family car or an older crowd"

AF-MKVI

Go Kart Champion
I think the DSG says "Hey, I'm more appealing to a family car or an older crowd"

The sad truth is it takes stage 3 power for an R to keep up with a K04 DSG GTI... DSG says I care more about performance than anything.

stradovinski

Passed Driver's Ed
My thoughts would be it depends on how well the current generation R is selling.

At the price point it is at, it is definitely a niche car. If you add in a choice of transmissions, they have to figure what mix to produce that will sell. Not sure how many R's they make each year now, but it can't be very many.

If I stick with these cars for my next purchase, I will consider an R if the price is right. Probably the only car I would consider a manual for...unless they brought over a Scirocco R. Now then I would really be happy ;)