GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Battery change

whizz

I have a Mk7 TSI, it has the original battery , which has now dropped to 12.2 V when left overnight or charged. Alternator is fine as well over 13v when engine running. The OE battery is a EFB 69Ah 360a, I need to replace it. I was going to fit a Bosch EFB 70Ah 650a. I have been told I will need to re code the ecu ? I do have a Carista if I have to, but seems strange. I could understand it if I was changing to a totally different type of battery . Any help gratefully received.

whizz

Many thanks.Very new to this forum. I have actually read this, but it does not answer my question, as it relates to upgrading a battery not fitting like for like. Very useful if you are into that, but not really for me. It also relates to Ross tech kit which is well above my means and requirements , I use Carsita which i find very useful for all of my needs on VW? and Skoda. Really just want to know if changing from 69Ah 360 a to a 70 Ah 650a , both EFB, will need me to recode and if I do , can I do it with the Carista.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Many thanks.Very new to this forum. I have actually read this, but it does not answer my question, as it relates to upgrading a battery not fitting like for like. Very useful if you are into that, but not really for me. It also relates to Ross tech kit which is well above my means and requirements , I use Carsita which i find very useful for all of my needs on VW? and Skoda. Really just want to know if changing from 69Ah 360 a to a 70 Ah 650a , both EFB, will need me to recode and if I do , can I do it with the Carista.

The specs you have posted are different....even IF they are 100% the same you still need to change the serial number by one digit as the control module needs to be "told" that a new battery has been installed..& therefore to forget all the old learnt values & charging info....

I haven't used Carista..but those who can't afford full on VCDS use OBD11 pro...& both work on all VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda...as VAG group cars..

whizz

It is not a case of cant afford a Carista, I dont see why I should pay the sort of money Ross Tech want for something I do not use very often. I have always found that Carista has done what I needed as a diy person.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
It is not a case of cant afford a Carista, I dont see why I should pay the sort of money Ross Tech want for something I do not use very often. I have always found that Carista has done what I needed as a diy person.

Now you're discovering it can't do everything.

You'll need a better tool.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate

That's why I stated about OBD11 pro...as under £100...

VCDS & OBD11 pro are the two most widely used tools for VAG cars...other than Vagcam Pro..which is more expensive..

If you don't want to buy either VCDS or OBD11 pro then get a garage to code the module....& thats £40 right there...replace the rear pads or discs....again you'll need VCDS etc to retract the electronic spindle in the piston...

Spending £300 on a tool which in my case has paid for itself & owes me nothing more...when the car cost £28K is peanuts....:cool:

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
OBD11 costs £40 with the hardware. You can buy a basic vag com for £99. I've bought both over the years and they've saved me (and friends) tons more than that.

I would suggest you get Halfords to replace the battery as they'll do the coding for you for a tenner. But have them replace like for like as no doubt they will do it wrong otherwise..

...if it creaks, it's probably made by VAG

kinch

Passed Driver's Ed
I'M SURE VW GIVE YOU 8 YEARS WARRANTY ON THE BATTERY!!! I THINK I READ IT ON THEIR SITE��

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
I'M SURE VW GIVE YOU 8 YEARS WARRANTY ON THE BATTERY!!! I THINK I READ IT ON THEIR SITE��

For the mk7 / mk7.5 Golf I think the 8 year battery warranty only applies to the high voltage batteries fitted to the Golf GTE and e-Golf. Normal 12v batteries are subject to VW’s 3 year warranty.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
Here's the link to vw. Scroll down the bottom of the page to read about the 8 year warranty on the battery. https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/owners/warranty/new-car/terms-and-conditions

Shame you did NOT read that link......so I'll repost it & bold & underline the relevant sections:-

8 Year High Voltage Battery Warranty
A guarantee for eight years or 99,360 miles (160,000 km) whichever comes first, on all material or manufacturing defects.
Gradual reduction in battery capacity over time is integral to the nature of the component, and does not represent a defect under the terms of this guarantee, as long as the reduction in capacity is not in excess of the value specified for this vehicle in the owner's manual.
The guarantee on high voltage batteries does not apply if the defect has been caused by the battery not being used, handled or maintained as described in the owner's manual. This applies in particular to charging the battery.
With the exception of the warranty term, all warranty conditions stipulated by the Volkswagen Retailer selling the vehicle (pre-requisites, criteria for freedom from defects, exclusions, settlement of claims, entry into force and start of extended warranty term, scope of application etc.) Also apply to the high voltage battery.
The eight year guarantee does not apply to the 12 volt battery. The 12 volt battery is covered by the standard 3 year factory warranty detailed above.