GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

JB1 Total Failure at Speed - a bad experience

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG
The JB1 was originally installed on my last MK7 GTI a couple years ago. It was removed and fitted to my new MK7.5 GTI a little over 2 weeks ago. It ran successfully until the 18th of September this year when it caused a complete system failure while driving at speed.

I was en route to Portsmouth ferry terminal for a 24-hour sailing from the UK to Northern Spain that would be followed by an 800 mile drive through Spain to southern Portugal. Approximately 30 minutes in to the journey to Portsmouth the alarm bells went off and the first warning I spotted was gearbox failure. I was now coasting in traffic on a 2 -way road at speed. Fortunately I had sufficient momentum to make a turn into a side road that was slightly uphill.

With the help of a local person we managed to push the car into a lay-by. I had to scrabble around to remove the JB1 particularly the bottom plug that required removal of the under-tray. Once remove and connected as normal the car started perfectly and we continued our journey. We just made it in time to catch the ferry. Had we missed the boat we would not have been able to take the car to Portugal for at least 2-weeks. Fortunately the weather was dry.

I may well be the first person to experience a failure like this but had the incident happened on an outside lane on a busy motorway at high speed I am not sure I want to think about what could have happened.

At the time of removal of the system I can confirm that all plugs were fully connected and that the serial connector on the unit was screwed firmly in place. Burger make want to examine the unit though I have yet to report this to them. Would I use this system again - no way. It is a great system but I would not wish to jeopardise the safety of my family again. If I need more performance I will buy an R.

This is a warning to others about what could happen.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Sounds like it went into limp mode. Did you scan for codes? Have you updated the software?

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG
Sounds like it went into limp mode. Did you scan for codes? Have you updated the software?

Do not have facility to scan for codes. Have not updated firmware or software. According to Burger the JB1 should be OK on the 7.5 and no mention of any updates. by them. I think they need to investigate as long as they pay shipping costs back to US.

Bäsemödel

Go Kart Champion
sounds like a scary ordeal... glad youre safe...

It would be interesting for you to reach out to George at BMS directly... there are several JB1 and 4 owners on this forum and i have not read about anyone having a unit totally die... more info from a scan would likely reveal the real issue.

best of luck!

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
I ran a JB1 on my GTI for 2 yrs without issue, and currently run a JB1 in my Golf-R without issue.

Perhaps you had bad gas or pumped lower octane gas without knowing it? Did you run higher boost safety than out of the box?

oddspyke

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI, 2018 ZL1
So without knowing exactly how this works, wouldn't this be a risk with any piggy back? They intercept and alter signals going to the ECU; a short or open circuit in any of them would potentially put your car into limp mode until removed, no?

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Anyone else notice that his issue was with the Trans.... which isn't caused by the JB? Sounds more like the much more common gear selector issue....

Any reason that made you remove it right away without trying to start the car back up?

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
First I have ever seen of an issue like this with JB1/4.....not really a "warning to others". Just email George

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG
Anyone else notice that his issue was with the Trans.... which isn't caused by the JB? Sounds more like the much more common gear selector issue....

Any reason that made you remove it right away without trying to start the car back up?

It would not start until it was removed. Then drove over 800 miles from northern Spain to Madrid and on to southwest Algarve in Portugal without any issue.

fuelboss

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
GTI MK7.5 DSG
I ran a JB1 on my GTI for 2 yrs without issue, and currently run a JB1 in my Golf-R without issue.

Perhaps you had bad gas or pumped lower octane gas without knowing it? Did you run higher boost safety than out of the box?

Car was on 97 fuel from BP in the UK. JB1 had run perfectly on the previous GTI and for a couple weeks on the new car.