GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Aftermarket subwoofer

HartGTI

So my girlfriend had 2 12inch subwoofers in one box. She got a brand new A4 and ended up getting the box essentially cut in half and only wanted one subwoofer. I looked at the other subwoofers and it seems to be too big to fit in WITH the spare tire but if I play around with it more I’m thinking I could get it to work. But with that said, most people seem to stand by Fender and if you don’t have it standard, you should get fender. No one recommends aftermarket non-oem.

Do I HAVE to use fender’s subwoofer or no? And do I need a box for the subwoofer? My girlfriend has a close family friend that does installs audio for whatever and so I’m hoping I could get a deal. But how much does it typically cost to install everything. I’m assuming I’d need an amp of some sort as well.

‘18 GTI btw

Any thoughts?

randomhobo130

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 Autobahn DSG
I have the fender myself and love it but a lot of people on here have recommended the helix system. Might wanna check that out. Seems pretty unanimous that it is better than the fender from what conversations I've come across.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I've also heard good things about the Helix Soundbox. It's 20% off until 9/30 if you order from the VW parts website, plus another 10% back in the form of a mail-in rebate or something, bringing the final price down to about $400. I'm seriously tempted.

HartGTI

From my understanding the helix doesn’t work with the ‘18’s. However this was what I was talking about. Everyone seems to only recommend those two. But I’m going for lowest price or best bang for the buck. I already have a subwoofer and would like to use it if I can. But is the GTI radio system anal with what gets connected to it? I know with the fender I’ll still have to do coding so is it the same with every system and therefore that’s all I’m limited to is the fender audio?

HartGTI

i have sold over 100 MK7 sub boxes, so someone must be going aftermarket

That’s what I wasn’t sure about. I wasn’t sure if aftermarket subwoofers were able to function probably with the mk7 radio system since so many people said to just go with fender or helix but I know coding was also involved.

I doubt a audio business has coding software to my understanding.

nikbrewer

Go Kart Champion
That’s what I wasn’t sure about. I wasn’t sure if aftermarket subwoofers were able to function probably with the mk7 radio system since so many people said to just go with fender or helix but I know coding was also involved.

I doubt a audio business has coding software to my understanding.

I have very limited understanding as i don't have a mk7. I believe if you do not have factory premium sound, you don't recode. Only if you had a fender amp. Lots of guys are adding subs and aftermarket amps and it does not seem that complicated.

I think people just recommend the other options as they are plug and play, but will never perform like a dedicated aftermarket sub

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!
From my understanding, the factory system has bass roll off which is there to help protect the car's speakers. Both the Fender and Helix re-code the factory system to push more of the low frequencies to the sub and not the door speakers. So if you do not have a helix or fender sub you will not need to re-code the system.

I've heard of some guys having success with the LC2i which is basically a line out converter but it has features to help fill in the gaps for the bass roll off.

HuangMoney

Go Kart Newbie
From my understanding, the factory system has bass roll off which is there to help protect the car's speakers. Both the Fender and Helix re-code the factory system to push more of the low frequencies to the sub and not the door speakers. So if you do not have a helix or fender sub you will not need to re-code the system.

I've heard of some guys having success with the LC2i which is basically a line out converter but it has features to help fill in the gaps for the bass roll off.

^ yup. I bought a sub+box+amp+lc2i off a member here, and it bumps ridiculously hard, after retuning the LC2i I had to lower it because it was so much, now its perfect haha