GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Storage Tote That Fits in our Hatch

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
I like to camp but have a 2 year old so space is at a premium, as is time.

I’m trying to find a large storage tote I can toss all camping gear into, be ready to go, and will actually fit in the hatch. It seems like I need max dimensions of 38 w x 16 d x 16ish tall. 4 man tent is the longest item when packed at about 24” so that’s my min width size.

I’d like to fit in the hatch area so that back seat is free for passengers or additional items if needed so while I could fold the seat down and get one larger tote, I’d rather not.

I’ve looked st Lowe’s and Home Depot and even browsed a bit on amazon and can’t find anything that quite fits. Wondering if anyone has a tote they use for something similar and can recommend.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Obviously a bigger investment, but man is it worth it.

Thule Force L mounted on my second hand Rhino Rack, or on the wife’s OEM cross bars has been awesome. 17cu ft of additional space, which brings the gti up to exactly the cu ft available in her suv. We have two kids now, but often brought our dogs before our second was born. It’s a one time investment you should be able to use on any vehicle you end up with, so in that respect the sooner you pull the trigger the more use you’ll get out of it.

aluminum hydrogen sulfate chemical formula

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Thanks Jake, I am considering a roof rack/box as well for longer trips, but this is more of a place to store gear in the garage (currently it’s sort of strewn about on a shelf), plus just be able to toss it in the car and go and know we have what we need. No surprises.

Obviously a bigger investment, but man is it worth it.

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
https://amazon.com/Highlander-38-2-...qid=1537876250&sr=8-7&keywords=38"+duffle+bag

You'll need to check but the seller stated it's 38" x 16" x 16" in answering a question. Just what you're looking for? $70 with free shipping.

BTW, my search was 38" duffle bag. Lucky it was among the first dozen I clicked on.

Or did you want a hard case?

Plano 1719-00 68 Quart Tote (Black)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007TOHI7I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_rBIQBbVT3T3JN

You must hone your Amazon Nina skills..

I didn't think of that.

@TheFed - I didn't think of that.

@oddspyke - That hard case might be the ticket. Looking through amazon I must have missed that.

@TheFed - LOL

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Hello,

The duffel is nearly three times larger on the inside than the hard case that was linked. That's because it's cloth and does not rely on thick material, tapered sides, and molded ribs for rigidity. The duffel is also nearly a perfect fit for the hatch. Even better, the dimensions you seek still leave a triangular area between the duffel and the seat backs. That could allow even more storage.

With all of that said, do you (OP) plan to pack minimally for personal items among the four of you? Or will that duffel be stored only half full of camping equipment and the rest used for personal items when it's time to go? I know my family tends to OVER-pack. So I highly agree with GTI jake about the cargo box. Having one was great on a Thanksgiving trip, especially since I prefer to have the car's interior free of baggage that could get airborne in an accident. Of course, I also have a small trailer that I'd probably use on a camping trip. But overkill is my modus operandi. :p

Good Luck,

Scott

ReadTheBook

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
DVP Spektrm, MK4 R32
Hello,

The duffel is nearly three times larger on the inside than the hard case that was linked. That's because it's cloth and does not rely on thick material, tapered sides, and molded ribs for rigidity. The duffel is also nearly a perfect fit for the hatch. Even better, the dimensions you seek still leave a triangular area between the duffel and the seat backs. That could allow even more storage.

With all of that said, do you (OP) plan to pack minimally for personal items among the four of you? Or will that duffel be stored only half full of camping equipment and the rest used for personal items when it's time to go? I know my family tends to OVER-pack. So I highly agree with GTI jake about the cargo box. Having one was great on a Thanksgiving trip, especially since I prefer to have the car's interior free of baggage that could get airborne in an accident. Of course, I also have a small trailer that I'd probably use on a camping trip. But overkill is my modus operandi. :p

Good Luck,

Scott

Thanks. I actually was the one who emailed you the other day about your rack :)

Along that line, I almost ended up buying Whispbar bars off a guy at work today, but I found out that Yakmia shuttered the company and the foot kit I'd need to get the bars mounted is unobtanium at over 30 sites I looked online for. I even called Yakima who said they no longer have it and they directed me to the site they sold all of their Whispbar stock to.

Still playing with ideas, but using a duffel for the camping stuff might be best and I have a few big ones laying around I think I can repurpose for this. It's only for gear. Clothing would be packed separately.

ebg18t

Ready to race!
Keeping camping gear in a tote can be good, but make sure everything is 100% dry & clean. Otherwise you might be in for a nasty surprise next time you grab your gear. We found it easier to pack the items loose vs inside a tote in the back of the car, especially once we grab the kids stuff. We tried the tote idea and found we wasted space around the edges, etc.

We travel with a Yakima Skybox LoPro on the roof. Each person gets a Eagle Creek duffel bag (sized to fit in the roof box) and it worked out great for us. But we have 2, 2 year olds and a Saint Bernard.

StealthGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
HAHA!

Thanks. I actually was the one who emailed you the other day about your rack :)

Nice to make your acquaintance! I, too, was interested in the Whispbar rack. I chose the Rhino Rack because it appeared to be just as low-profile as the coveted Whispbar rack. It turns out I was right. Someone with a Whispbar rack shared measurements of his roof clearance. My Rhino Rack appears to sit ~1/4" lower. I think the Rhino Rack has better pad alignment to the roof, too. It's also very quiet. Overall, I'm pretty happy with it.

Scott