GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Blown engine on 2015 @ 53k miles

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Long story short, had 1/4 tank, launched on slicks, sucked air, fuel pressure drop from 3200 to 1500, 16:1 AFR on 29psi boost, very mild detonation damage on pistons 1 & 4.

Take a look at the last few pages of the Stratified thread. Talked to Alex from Strat today and he called it right away, said he has seen it on several MK7s. Baffling in the tank is completely insufficient.
Well crap. Thought 1/4 tank would be sufficient enough for launches and keeping the weight down. Guess if launching hard, it's safe to have at least 1/2 a tank.

miked617

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
21 VW GTI
Well crap. Thought 1/4 tank would be sufficient enough for launches and keeping the weight down. Guess if launching hard, it's safe to have at least 1/2 a tank.
Which sucks for those like me that blend e85 and usually wait until almost empty before filling up!

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
When the tank is low enough for there to be a risk just don't drive like a lunatic on the way to the gas station :p

You must have to be accelerating past a certain threshold for this to be an issue. I don't think you would encounter this in normal street driving.

DJinAC

Passed Driver's Ed
Wow sorry to see that rod and wrist pin. I hope you can get another motor without breaking your bank.

gti9251

Passed Driver's Ed
Hoping to hear an update from the OP soon. The low gas tank theory sounds solid. Let's hope he doesn't tell us that his gas tank was full!

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
How low of a tank are we talking? I fill up when I’m at 1/4, but usually never any earlier

Supermoto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Autobahn DSG
I usually drive my car till the bottom of the tank and well past the zero range calculation. I guess I will change that habit now :D

eurospek

Just finished watching Fast&Fu
I usually drive my car till the bottom of the tank and well past the zero range calculation. I guess I will change that habit now :D

Same here. Haven’t blown up yet. YRMV.

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
Same here. Haven’t blown up yet. YRMV.

I think morale of the story is don't drive like a crazy race car driver if you less than a quarter tank

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
The issue isn't driving with a low tank out of boost, that's fine.

I have been through every fueling issue (unfortunately) with the mk7's as I basically drove mine from the dealer to the 1/4 and through all the setups available including fueling with diff pumps, mpi, pump gas, blends, race, etc.

The pump is designed with a small surge tank that fills from a collector/bottom of tank. What generally happens when you run on low fuel on the GTI is that you will eat away the surge tank fuel during a 1/4 pass and usually in the back half somewhere you will run the surge tank dry and the car will hit approximately 1.02-1.05 lambda before it will cut out (i've done this 4-5 times at the 1/4). This is from fuel slosh.

Lesson for GTI's at the track - half tank minimum IMO.

The R/S3/AWD MQB cars use the double tank baffled design, so running low on fuel and doing pulls isn't as bad. Their propensity to run out of fuel is small.

I've seen a few failures from this but also quite a few that never even knew what happened and just chalk it up to some "cut" of power.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
The issue isn't driving with a low tank out of boost, that's fine.

I have been through every fueling issue (unfortunately) with the mk7's as I basically drove mine from the dealer to the 1/4 and through all the setups available including fueling with diff pumps, mpi, pump gas, blends, race, etc.

The pump is designed with a small surge tank that fills from a collector/bottom of tank. What generally happens when you run on low fuel on the GTI is that you will eat away the surge tank fuel during a 1/4 pass and usually in the back half somewhere you will run the surge tank dry and the car will hit approximately 1.02-1.05 lambda before it will cut out (i've done this 4-5 times at the 1/4). This is from fuel slosh.

Lesson for GTI's at the track - half tank minimum IMO.

The R/S3/AWD MQB cars use the double tank baffled design, so running low on fuel and doing pulls isn't as bad. Their propensity to run out of fuel is small.

I've seen a few failures from this but also quite a few that never even knew what happened and just chalk it up to some "cut" of power.

Completely agree with all of this.

I will not launch with below 1/2 tank ever again.

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
I'm not sure why everyone is suddenly assuming driving with under a quarter tank of gas is blowing engines. OP hasn't given any details, and there's no telling what happened. All we know is he was ED stage 2 (assuming IS20) running 25 psi, and likes to drive to Mexico now and then.

KawaZukiVdub

Go Kart Newbie
I'm not sure why everyone is suddenly assuming driving with under a quarter tank of gas is blowing engines. OP hasn't given any details, and there's no telling what happened. All we know is he was ED stage 2 (assuming IS20) running 25 psi, and likes to drive to Mexico now and then.

Exactly. Hopefully OP updates us soon.