GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Ideal street clutch for IS38 GTI

HuangMoney

Go Kart Newbie
Hey all,
I've been looking through clutches, quite a bit and I wanted to get some input on what would be the best clutch for dailying rather than drag stripping, of course there will be times where i'm racing but not like a constant thing.

I've read up on DMFW VS SMFW, and concluded I didn't want a SMFW because of the noise. I've seen some really appealing clutches going for $1300-1600, but I felt like that was a bit too much of an investment. I've seen the sachs/TT clutch kit which was super cheap, and it was what I was going to go with until I saw people reporting their clutches slipping within 20k miles on IS38...I would like to use it but I also don't want to have the same issue.

I wanted to know what everyone picked/suggestions, i'm not doing anything more than an is38 protune, no w/meth/ethanol.

Any reviews on what not to pick/pick?

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
I picked a Southbend stage 2 daily after my clutch slipped 3 months into stage 1.

Fast forward 3 years, it's so far survived stage 2 power levels, and now an is38 hybrid with close to 10 track days and holding strong.

HuangMoney

Go Kart Newbie
I picked a Southbend stage 2 daily after my clutch slipped 3 months into stage 1.

Fast forward 3 years, it's so far survived stage 2 power levels, and now an is38 hybrid with close to 10 track days and holding strong.

That's weird, its rated for about 400, which is right about the TQ on a hybrid?

But I would love to do a southbend stage 2 because its really nice, but the SMFW chatter kind of puts it off for me, esp around town

psychonosspaz

Go Kart Champion
I went rsr and it's holding fine with stock + feel....rated at 480 ft/lbs

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Dkm stage 3 twin.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

crxgator

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
All the MQBs
I went Sachs SRE with new DMF and no complaints when I had it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zer0DazE

Ready to race!
Like so many things, it is subjective.
Some people are happy with a resonator and straight pipe from the turbo back. Some of us don't like an exhaust note that makes your ears bleed when on the highway.

I have the DKM stage 3 and it is livable on the street after it is broken in (about 1000 miles), but it will never be as smooth as stock. With the A/C on it will sound like you run marbles in your trans for lube. On the bright side, it grabs, and it holds unlike the OEM clutch.

I believe there are a couple of people running the DKM stage 2. They seem very happy with it, and they are aggressively priced. The stage 2 clutch should be more than sufficient for an IS38.

I went Sachs SRE with new DMF and no complaints when I had it.

This was the direction I was going to go, and in hindsight, I probably would have been happier with it.

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
That's weird, its rated for about 400, which is right about the TQ on a hybrid?

But I would love to do a southbend stage 2 because its really nice, but the SMFW chatter kind of puts it off for me, esp around town

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong I fully expect that its days are numbered. I selected it for stage 1 & 2 power without thinking I would get a bigger turbo and I should have known better :) Just going to ride it out and replace once it gives up the ghost.

There's definitely chatter but it's something I expected and don't pay much mind to other than my GF and I joking that I drive a tractor around at low RPM. But in all honestly it's not that loud or noticeable.

Ital

Go Kart Newbie
I am going to a car meet this week end in Milford CT. If you wanna come out I will let you drive my car to get a feel and help in your decision making.

HuangMoney

Go Kart Newbie
I am going to a car meet this week end in Milford CT. If you wanna come out I will let you drive my car to get a feel and help in your decision making.

I appreciate the gesture but i'll be in philly

Like so many things, it is subjective.
Some people are happy with a resonator and straight pipe from the turbo back. Some of us don't like an exhaust note that makes your ears bleed when on the highway.

That's true. I had a res delete +apr dp on my mk6 which droned decently bad at 80 mph, but I lived with it. Its mostly the chatter at low speeds or idle that would get to me to be honest, it drowns out a bit of the sound of the car and kinda sounds like its broken sometimes

I have the DKM stage 3 and it is livable on the street after it is broken in (about 1000 miles), but it will never be as smooth as stock. With the A/C on it will sound like you run marbles in your trans for lube. On the bright side, it grabs, and it holds unlike the OEM clutch.

I believe there are a couple of people running the DKM stage 2. They seem very happy with it, and they are aggressively priced. The stage 2 clutch should be more than sufficient for an IS38.

This was the direction I was going to go, and in hindsight, I probably would have been happier with it.

I do think I like the DKM stage 2, dual mass setups seem like theyre...significantly more expensive, with a new flywheel...

Dkm stage 3, I have a video on it link in my signature

Doesn't seem too bad when driving.

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
I've seen the sachs/TT clutch kit which was super cheap, and it was what I was going to go with until I saw people reporting their clutches slipping within 20k miles on IS38...I would like to use it but I also don't want to have the same issue.

Actually that is something that I don’t understand. APR for example and because is what I have currently rate the stage 2 on 93 gas at 404 ft-lbs
While with the Is38 on the same 93 gas is rated at 403 ft-lbs so I don’t understand why people are fine stage 2 wise and slipping with the Is38.

Attachments

• AAF9B083-7D6C-4A16-8142-783976EB018F.jpeg
    AAF9B083-7D6C-4A16-8142-783976EB018F.jpeg
    163.9 KB · Views: 512

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
I appreciate the gesture but i'll be in philly

I do think I like the DKM stage 2, dual mass setups seem like theyre...significantly more expensive, with a new flywheel...

Doesn't seem too bad when driving.

It’s not bad at all. Only every once in a while with AC on at idle it’ll chatter. Maybe once a month or 2000ish miles aka hardly ever. I’d absolutely recommend it just use your stock or a new OEM TOB