GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

deAutoLED LED vs. HID in reflectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gibberoni

Ready to race!
Oh, that's easy then. I thought it was something to do with the wavelength of light emitted not traveling as far. In this case you're simply not taking advantage of the design of the reflector since it's made to reflect light from a source that emits it 360*.

Thanks.

Wavelength as well, they are different, but like I said super simplified.

Depending on the color temp you go with, they can widly differ from Halogen. If you stay in the 4300K range it will be similar to a halogen, then you are losing the reflecting power.

If you go with a higher temp bulb you are getting a shorter wavelength, which has a high intensity at short distances and quickly looses its "umph".

IIRC a 6000K bulb has half the distance between peaks as a 4300K bulb.

Last edited:

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
That's a silly statement! Projectors >>>> Reflectors any day of the week!

In a perfect world, where I can have the best thing, I wouldn't be driving a GTI S. In my original post I asked specific, simple questions. I did not ask for opinions about what I want or don't want, or whether something is better or worse.

DAS_STIG

Banned
Wavelength as well, they are different, but like I said super simplified.

Depending on the color temp you go with, they can widly differ from Halogen. If you stay in the 4300K range it will be similar to a halogen, then you are losing the reflecting power.

If you go with a higher temp bulb you are getting a shorter wavelength, which has a high intensity at short distances and quickly looses its "umph".

IIRC a 6000K bulb has half the distance between peaks as a 4300K bulb.

Is there a general rule of thumb for wavelength vs how far light output is "effective" for the human eye? Maybe a ratio when moving from one color temp to another?

stillwellm10

Ready to race!
In a perfect world, where I can have the best thing, I wouldn't be driving a GTI S. In my original post I asked specific, simple questions. I did not ask for opinions about what I want or don't want, or whether something is better or worse.

Fair enough! What bulb size is your low beam?

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Hopefully not a manufacturing engineer as I'd hate to see how you'd undercut OSHA/safety audits...

Funny that you mention that, as I and an M&P guy managed in a month to solve a decade old problem that manufacturing engineers could not solve. All within the bounds set by the strict safety control dept. Besides, what do you care about my relationship with OSHA?

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI

AAK1992

Passed Driver's Ed
Funny that you mention that, as I and an M&P guy managed in a month to solve a decade old problem that manufacturing engineers could not solve. All within the bounds set by the strict safety control dept. Besides, what do you care about my relationship with OSHA?

Sorry, just curious how such a super duper engineer could think that altering federally mandated safety equipment for marginal performance gain is a good idea. :)

There is a reason almost no OEM goes with the reflector+HID setup, Ford did it most recently (in the S197 mustang to my memory), but only after significant changes to the housing itself...

In fact after some light digging, FMVSS 108 states there are no legal replaceable LED kits on the market right now. It's been a while since I have been involved with reviewing and adherence to CFR, but their website is pretty readable (link) and has good info on the matter. Here is a very fair summation of the standard.

Last edited:

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
I though he was asking a question about the difference in the deAutoLED LED vs. HRC7 kits which I thought were designed to work in the MK7 standard reflector housings? OP didn't say throw in any HID kit..

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Sorry, just curious how such a super duper engineer could think that altering federally mandated safety equipment for marginal performance gain is a good idea. :)

There is a reason almost no OEM goes with the reflector+HID setup, Ford did it most recently (in the S197 mustang to my memory), but only after significant changes to the housing itself...

In fact after some light digging, FMVSS 108 states there are no legal replaceable LED kits on the market right now. It's been a while since I have been involved with reviewing and adherence to CFR, but their website is pretty readable (link) and has good info on the matter. Here is a very fair summation of the standard.

You seem to fail at reading comprehension: my original post did not ask for your esteemed opinion about OSHA, safety, and federal regulations (while those are all great sounding words and acronyms, the pist is not about them). Why don't you try again instead of flooding?

Status
Not open for further replies.