GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IS20 hybrid vs IS38

llibgrebnek

Ready to race!
Instead of PM'ing, how about keep it on this thread for all of us that are interested. Especially since the couple of us interested in this are Alltracks.

There is a large contingent to our Alltrack wagon mafia! Power to the people (haulers)!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI
Spool on the is38 is not that bad. The issue with the hybrid is the heat it generates. Top end will take a plunge because of this unless you run meth and/or ethanol.

How much higher are the temperatures with the hybrid versus IS38?

Just pulled the trigger on a GPOP IS20...

I may the get the clipped wheel in addition to the full IS38 wheel but idk yet.

Just looking for good spool for my heavier Alltrack and better top end than the stock IS20.

Will be starting with the Uni 91 AKI tune and my JB4. If that does not pan out, then I will go to the Uni IS20 tune and the JB4.

Stay tuned...

(Hey just noticed that was a pun!)

If you are looking for good spool then clipping the turbine wheel is not something you want to do.

TwinDad

Autocross Newbie
How much higher are the temperatures with the hybrid versus IS38?

I'm not sure. Just every is38 hybrid that I've seen has this side affect. Basically you are asking the is20 exhaust turbine to spool an is38 compressor. It will spool quicker, but creates more heat in the process of doing so. I think someone who has more experience with the hybrids needs to fully weigh in on what the logs look like. Probably one of the pro tuners.

MyGolfMk7

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
B5 S4, Mk7 GTI
Are you talking about EGT rising?

On the charge air side the temperature is primarily driven by the operating pressure and to lesser degree the compressor efficiency. Unless the compressor housing has much less mass with the hybrid, in which case it will heat faster and lead to a quicker rise in IAT versus an IS38, the charge air temperature should be the same for like operating conditions.

Last edited:

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
Hey everyone. I run an Is20 hybrid (Gpop, not clipped) and have done it with nothing but the intent of going fast as shit.

So far it works really well

I chose this over a is38 because i wanted that rampant is20 spool. So far its been great the car hauls ass.

I was with a jb4 but have sinced moved to COBB and tuned by stratified. It's incredibly quick.

idk how much heat it produces but i have a turbo blanket on it and so far so good. The engine certainly gets hot but again I'm racing with it. For around the town its amazing. I'm fully on board with more people going this route. If you are gonna go big turbo go for it but the is20hybrid puts you right in the mix with good river mods. I have little difficulty in passing sub 350HP cars. That includes golf Rs, is38 GTIs n what not.

HOWEVER
Past 85-90mph its still an is20 so it will taper quicker than a is38 or aftermarket. I know this from driving both. If your game is to run the 95mph+ group then you will be dissapointed but for everyone esle who is sane. Its fantastic. Spool rate is dumb fast.

Cheers

project92raddoslc

Go Kart Champion
Hey everyone. I run an Is20 hybrid (Gpop, not clipped) and have done it with nothing but the intent of going fast as shit.

So far it works really well

I chose this over a is38 because i wanted that rampant is20 spool. So far its been great the car hauls ass.

I was with a jb4 but have sinced moved to COBB and tuned by stratified. It's incredibly quick.

idk how much heat it produces but i have a turbo blanket on it and so far so good. The engine certainly gets hot but again I'm racing with it. For around the town its amazing. I'm fully on board with more people going this route. If you are gonna go big turbo go for it but the is20hybrid puts you right in the mix with good river mods. I have little difficulty in passing sub 350HP cars. That includes golf Rs, is38 GTIs n what not.

HOWEVER
Past 85-90mph its still an is20 so it will taper quicker than a is38 or aftermarket. I know this from driving both. If your game is to run the 95mph+ group then you will be dissapointed but for everyone esle who is sane. Its fantastic. Spool rate is dumb fast.

Cheers

I finally boxed up my is20 to send out to GPOP on Friday. I shot them an email before it was picked up just to find out they no longer have to parts to do the rebuilds or hybrids :(

project92raddoslc

Go Kart Champion
What? No, say it ain't so! I was a month or two away from doing the same...

I found a few other companies that do similar work.
Revolution Turbo-IS38 wheel upgrade $950
Mike Turbo billet wheel $850
Comp Turbo billet wheel $725

I just sent mine to Revolution for inspection/rebuild for $350. I'll have them check it out and make sure it's in good shape before I decide what I'm doing with it.

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
I found a few other companies that do similar work.
Revolution Turbo-IS38 wheel upgrade $950
Mike Turbo billet wheel $850
Comp Turbo billet wheel $725

I just sent mine to Revolution for inspection/rebuild for $350. I'll have them check it out and make sure it's in good shape before I decide what I'm doing with it.

Thats great news!

So the price of the rebuild is 350 +950 for the wheel upgrade or 950 all together?

project92raddoslc

Go Kart Champion
Thats great news!

So the price of the rebuild is 350 +950 for the wheel upgrade or 950 all together?

$950 all in. I decided to do a factory rebuild rather than hybrid. Trying to stay within budget. They called me yesterday to let me know turbo looks good but they're putting in some new seals that had broken free. Should be shipped out this week, so 5 day turn around time.