GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Dogbone replacement help

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
Hey y'all

Hopefully simple question, have a 034 dogbone mount and it's cracked and also the bolt inside is spinning so I'm not sure how to remove

Going to replace it with a revo puck. How do I get the old unit out?? Can't spin the bolt as it's seized or stuck on the rubber inside the OEM mount

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

bdelaney4000

Ready to race!
If you don't have an impact...

Long breaker bar, penetrating spray, and a dead blow mallet. Use a spray with the little straw to direct the straw over the sub-frame to the top of the dogbone bolt. More likely than not that's where it's seizing. Give the spray time to set in, then get the breaker bar on and use the mallet to tap the breaker bar handle in the direction it needs to travel while applying steady pressure on the bar. The vibrations from using the mallet should break the bolt free.

An impact gun is easier but this should work as well.

MK7Boostedbliss

Passed Driver's Ed
And u are talking about the lower subframe often called the “dogbone” mount bolt that’s a 21mm head?

I had the upper portion of the mount give me issues. I had to remove the 2 bolts (13mm) that hold the mount end to the trans. Unbolting that made that upper subframe nut sit back as it should. Before u did that it was at a 45 degree angle and the bolt would thread up to that point.

Point is try remove the 13mm head bolts holding the dog bone mount to trans and try a impact gun. That should work.

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
If it's spinning in the upper subframe mount, you'll have to drop the subframe and remove it from the top.

Thanks man.. Yep gonna have to try that today it seems.

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
Did you get it?
Had the chance to take any pics to share?

Oh hey! yea that totally sucked haha

I had to drop the subframe, replace the bolts and then put the new puck in.

If you have to do this repair, do not do it on jackstands. use a lift as the frame is heavy and its not easy to do with little clearance.

I also fucked up putting the steering rack bolts in so tha had to be fixed as well.

All n all this is something I would do with an extra set of hands an lift. Its possible to do but not fun.

WhyNotZoidberg?

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 GTI, 2015 TDI
Oh hey! yea that totally sucked haha

I had to drop the subframe, replace the bolts and then put the new puck in.

If you have to do this repair, do not do it on jackstands. use a lift as the frame is heavy and its not easy to do with little clearance.

I also fucked up putting the steering rack bolts in so tha had to be fixed as well.

All n all this is something I would do with an extra set of hands an lift. Its possible to do but not fun.

I do have access to a lift, I 'd never do this on jackstands. I still have PTSD from replacing my old Mitsu 3000GT steering rack on jackstands by myself in subzero temps in a cold garage many years ago.. :eek:

I'm considering getting the Superpro mounts set and the dogbone has both pucks to be replaced, which means subframe out.

The thought of subframe removal, reinstall & alignment makes me cringe, though :(

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
I do have access to a lift, I 'd never do this on jackstands. I still have PTSD from replacing my old Mitsu 3000GT steering rack on jackstands by myself in subzero temps in a cold garage many years ago.. :eek:

I'm considering getting the Superpro mounts set and the dogbone has both pucks to be replaced, which means subframe out.

The thought of subframe removal, reinstall & alignment makes me cringe, though :(

I could totally be wrong, but with the MK7, the engine and transmission are supported by the frame, so you don't even need to support them when removing the subframe. The main issue is the power steering rack. Technically you could just unbolt it from the subframe and leave it in place (while supported) and then drop the subframe. Unless you need to fully remove it, you can leave the control arms attached and it will just lower down. I recommend supporting it, to reduce stress on the ball joints. Really not too hard of a job with a lift and some support tools. Bills out at 3.5 hours.

Actually, thinking back when I replaced the EPS rack on a 2008 A3 (same design as the MK7 rack and subframe), I was able to lower the rack with the subfame after disconnecting it from the steering wheel... shaft? Whatever it is called.

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP
I could totally be wrong, but with the MK7, the engine and transmission are supported by the frame, so you don't even need to support them when removing the subframe. The main issue is the power steering rack. Technically you could just unbolt it from the subframe and leave it in place (while supported) and then drop the subframe. Unless you need to fully remove it, you can leave the control arms attached and it will just lower down. I recommend supporting it, to reduce stress on the ball joints. Really not too hard of a job with a lift and some support tools. Bills out at 3.5 hours.

Actually, thinking back when I replaced the EPS rack on a 2008 A3 (same design as the MK7 rack and subframe), I was able to lower the rack with the subfame after disconnecting it from the steering wheel... shaft? Whatever it is called.
Correct an pretty much all of it.

So i did it on jackstands, in a garage, that was dusty. One thing i cannot stress enough is to be sure you unbolt the steering rack. Thats one thing I didn't do right had to have a friend come recheck and laugh that I did it wrong. So yes its not "technically" a hard job but without the proper space and follow-through it can suck big time.

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Correct an pretty much all of it.

So i did it on jackstands, in a garage, that was dusty. One thing i cannot stress enough is to be sure you unbolt the steering rack. Thats one thing I didn't do right had to have a friend come recheck and laugh that I did it wrong. So yes its not "technically" a hard job but without the proper space and follow-through it can suck big time.

I can't imagine doing it on jackstands. Multiplies how hard and long the job takes by... well a lot.

Lord_Flexington

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
15 MK7 GTI LP PP