GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

TAILPIPE SOOT

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Is there a consensus on the best way to clean them?

Mine are bad and I want to find a good method of cleaning before I buy an exhaust system

Eagle One NevRDull is amazing.
Comes in a little tin.
The tin contains wads of cloth soaked in a solvent, pull out a pinch and wipe off your exhaust tip.
Amazing product.
For quick touch ups, I've found that Gumout which I had lying around in the garage - sprayed on a paper towel and wiped on works well too.

adam1991

Banned
Direct injection and tail-pipe soot go hand in hand me thinks.

And that is 100% fact. It's not just tail-pipe soot; it's particulate matter overall that results from DI.

I'm surprised that the powers that be aren't screaming about this the same way they screamed about diesel particulate matter.

gregozedobe

Battle scarred veteran
And that is 100% fact. It's not just tail-pipe soot; it's particulate matter overall that results from DI.

I'm surprised that the powers that be aren't screaming about this the same way they screamed about diesel particulate matter.

Are US market Golf Rs getting GPFs* from now on ?

Euro & Australian ones are (it came in with the new WLTP standard). This seems to be causing delays in delivery for some new Golfs built in Germany.

* GPF = Gasoline Particulate Filter (very similar to the DPF for diesels).

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
Is there a consensus on the best way to clean them?

Mine are bad and I want to find a good method of cleaning before I buy an exhaust system

Eagle One NevRDull is amazing.
Comes in a little tin.
The tin contains wads of cloth soaked in a solvent, pull out a pinch and wipe off your exhaust tip.
Amazing product.
For quick touch ups, I've found that Gumout which I had lying around in the garage - sprayed on a paper towel and wiped on works well too.

mattkosem1

Ready to race!
P21S Polishing Soap followed by BMW/Finish Kare 101 High Temp Wax (actually a sealant) cleans them up well and keeps them clean a bit.

eurospek

Just finished watching Fast&Fu
“Patina”. My CSS are half black. Stock tune.

DR182018

Car(s)
2018 GTi Autobahn
No way can you tell from one tank and Shell is Top Tier gas. There are far too many variables.

I know it sounds crazy. I ran it dry and filled up at BP. After a tank and a half burned, no tailpipe soot. With Shell it was bad, and like I said, somewhat oily. After 4600 miles I’ve not burned any oil. And it seems to run better, more responsive.

Last edited:

gregozedobe

Battle scarred veteran
If they are, mine does not work. Bought the car in March and I get soot build-up regularly.

I meant cars being built from now on have a GPF (IIRC VW started building them in August to meet the new WLTP standard). I read somewhere they were calling them the MY19 version.

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
I used Barkeeper's Friend (powder) and it etched a bit of the chrome. YMMV.

Regular wash and wadding polish is probably your best bet for heavy build-up.