GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

SD Card

Denny1

Passed Driver's Ed
I put some albums on an SD card (mp3) they play fine but they just start from beginning. Is there a way to go to folders (albums) rather than going through the process of forwarding all the time to go to a certain album?
Thanks

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
Though it sucks and performs badly. Personally I'd avoid it and stick to using your smartphone.

...if it creaks, it's probably made by VAG

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Though it sucks and performs badly. Personally I'd avoid it and stick to using your smartphone.

What sucks? Using an SD card as opposed to your smartphone? What exactly performs badly? I find the sound quality going from SD card directly into head unit better than from smartphone into head unit via bluetooth or Carplay/Android Auto. And it remembers where you leave off every time you restart your car. I can't find one negative thing to say about SD cards, except that they're so small they're easy to lose.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Bluetooth is terrible for sound quality, something is seriously wrong if that sounds better.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

marvin1

Ready to race!
What sucks? Using an SD card as opposed to your smartphone? What exactly performs badly? I find the sound quality going from SD card directly into head unit better than from smartphone into head unit via bluetooth or Carplay/Android Auto. And it remembers where you leave off every time you restart your car. I can't find one negative thing to say about SD cards, except that they're so small they're easy to lose.

Absolutely agree. Nothing remotely wrong with the functioning or use of an SD card to access or play my 100 or so classical CDs. Mind you, I don't have thousands of Pop music on mine. The thought of relying on connecting a Smartphone to get music does not appeal.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I use the SD only...both Bluetooth & UBS sticks flake out more as those are "ad on" units...the SD card slot is the main integral part...

Denny1

Passed Driver's Ed
Thank You sorted now. Just need to see if I can jump from different albums from steering wheel controls! By the way sound is superb. Used a 16gb Sandisk.
Cheers.

Avanti

Go Kart Champion

I find that using the SD or USB introduces a gap between tracks which is noticeable on some albums.

Bluetooth is terrible for sound quality, something is seriously wrong if that sounds better.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I find the dynamic range is better from the Bluetooth but I guess it depends on the device used.

I use the SD only...both Bluetooth & UBS sticks flake out more as those are "ad on" units...the SD card slot is the main integral part...

There should be no difference in using USB or SD, they are both digitally formatted.

Thank You sorted now. Just need to see if I can jump from different albums from steering wheel controls! By the way sound is superb. Used a 16gb Sandisk.
Cheers.

Good luck with that, on the earlier Golfs at least, there wasn't a way to do so.

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
Yes, SD card. Performance when loading a card with lots of tracks is slow, and they actually tend to bomb out if there's too many. I also found they don't support ogg Vorbis format, nor replaygain tags.

Too frustrating for me, on the whole, so I canned the idea as I always have my phone, with lots of music on it, anyway. Bluetooth is adequate but yes I would agree the business of recompression doesn't make it sound good. Apt-x can be good, but they don't all support it. Apple don't support it at all.

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
IThere should be no difference in using USB or SD, they are both digitally formatted.

I find the both the USB & Bluetooth to be worse than the SD card....& all using the same exact music files....infact the SD card is a straight copy of the USB stick..& the file formats etc are correct...

Like I said its more to do with the fact that those modules have to do more "talking" to the main infotainment unit...where as the SD card reader does not...

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
I get that Bluetooth sounds different (not necessarily "worse" but definitely different), but I am inclined to think any playback of the exact same file, whether via mtp from a mobile device, as a file read from a usb stick or as a file read from an SD card they do sound identical. In fact you will find that the SD card reader in an ice system is itself a USB device so the processing is literally identical.

The only way to convince yourself is with a blind test and see if you can tell which is which. :)

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
I get that Bluetooth sounds different (not necessarily "worse" but definitely different), but I am inclined to think any playback of the exact same file, whether via mtp from a mobile device, as a file read from a usb stick or as a file read from an SD card they do sound identical. In fact you will find that the SD card reader in an ice system is itself a USB device so the processing is literally identical.

The only way to convince yourself is with a blind test and see if you can tell which is which. :)

It's not really the sound quality I'm complaining about...its the start-up , connectivity, art/album display everything else..its always a bit "flaky" on the BT & USB..I never have any problems with SD cards…& yes I have full VCDS scans & the latter firmware updates done last year at the dealers...

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
It's not really the sound quality I'm complaining about...its the start-up , connectivity, art/album display everything else..its always a bit "flaky" on the BT & USB..I never have any problems with SD cards…& yes I have full VCDS scans & the latter firmware updates done last year at the dealers...
Ok, with you on that front. The SD is probably a little quicker than the average USB stick these days (I have noted they are getting much much slower than they used to be).

And BT is a four hundred page protocol document. Despite being massively prescriptive manufacturers rarely manage to do it right...

But for me, the restrictions on file formats and generally bad interface for browsing was enough to write off the effort involved in maintaing another copy of my music on yet another device.

Last edited: