GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

From JB4 to protune

afman916

Ready to race!
I did some searching and found a few posts here and there, but still am not 100% certain...how much is there to gain from going JB4 to protune (Cobb/ED)? Fully understanding that protuned is specific to your car, but I’m more wondering what are the real world driving benefits? Better low end response? Holds power longer up top? Just got my JB4 installed and loving the newfound power but of course it already has me thinking about the next incremental step...

TrueGTI

Go Kart Newbie
Personally don't have much to add to this question wise, but just to add I have also been on the long road of deciding what to do. It all seems to keep leaning toward the Accessport for myself. Seems to be a lot of benefits for the custom tune side with the ability for that real time monitoring is a key factor. For me personally. My history is with stand alone management. Last one being Autronic which was laptop drivin. Great benefits with that real time stuff.

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
Do you plan on blending E?
You are looking at 35-55whp if so with FBO.

afman916

Ready to race!
I don’t have ready access to E where I currently live, so I’d be tuning a base map for 93. Maybe E blending down the road, but for the immediate future it’s just not easy enough to get.

wy2sl0

Drag Race Newbie
I don’t have ready access to E where I currently live, so I’d be tuning a base map for 93. Maybe E blending down the road, but for the immediate future it’s just not easy enough to get.

Under the curve, 10-25whp depending on how hard you decide to push.

afman916

Ready to race!
Hmmmm....from a cost benefit standpoint, I wonder if it's really worth it. I'd probably keep the JB4 as a future meth controller, so I'd be all in at ~$850 or so for Cobb and tune.

Or I could nab a hybrid from GPOP for around the same cost and still be able to maintain control of the hybrid with the JB4.

Thoughts between protune and hybrid IS20 assuming costs are similar? I have a blown IS20 I picked up for cheap with the express purpose of hybridizing at some point down the line...

Hoon

Autocross Champion
It's more than just the power though.

A good protune will be smoother, eliminate top speed limiter, eliminate any CEL concerns from being catless, have much more precise control over fueling and ignition, etc etc etc.

JB4 is an awesome piggyback, but it still has a variety of limitations, and really doesn't compare to a custom tuning solution.

JB4 is hands down the best choice if you care about your warranty. If not, protune it.

afman916

Ready to race!
Thanks Hoon - the smoother delivery and potential for some better pull lower in the RPM range is really what I'm after.

Although you do bring up a good point on warranty...I waver on that. I'm at 39k with no real issues aside from some AC troubles that I now have resolved.

I guess maybe a logical progression would be JB4 (current) to hybrid IS20 to hybrid IS20 protuned after 60k. With the thought being that, in the event of failure/issues with the hybrid unit, I just take the time and toss my stock IS20 back on for any dealership visits.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
I'm at 37xxx. 3K on a stage 1 tune, stage 2 for 22K, and IS38 w/ protune for almost 10K.

Im meticulous with maintenance, oil changes every 5k, plugs and clean air filter ever 10k max, DSG and VAQ diff service is done, etc.

That said, the engine and trans show no signs of wear and tear from making 380whp and 406wtq. I need to do another oil analysis soon because of running E50, but previous ones have shown very low wear. Much lower than average, despite the power level.

Your mileage may vary, but these seem to be very solid powertrains. Watch, now mine will blow up tonight. :D

vw671

Autocross Newbie
I went from FBO w/ JB4, then to Eurodyne Stage2, then to Protune. I didn't dyno at any step but to answer your questions.

Going from JB4 to Eurodyne OTS, power did come on sooner and there was more of it sooner. It also felt stronger at the top.

Going from OTS to protune, power doesn't seem to come sooner (probably hitting limitation of the turbo) but there is absolutely more power in the midrange and it also feels stronger at the top over the OTS tune. But probably the most noticeable is bump in midrange.

Keep in mind that this is with lame 91 pump only.

afman916

Ready to race!
Okkkkk so maybe protune and meticulous maintenance (along with some finger-crossing) should be in the cards...

What I really want to do is just grab the hybrid IS20 and protune at the same time but I'm trying to adhere to some level of financial restraint with all of this haha.

Jovian

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2016 VW GTI
It's more than just the power though.

A good protune will be smoother, eliminate top speed limiter, eliminate any CEL concerns from being catless, have much more precise control over fueling and ignition, etc etc etc.

JB4 is an awesome piggyback, but it still has a variety of limitations, and really doesn't compare to a custom tuning solution.

JB4 is hands down the best choice if you care about your warranty. If not, protune it.

Whole heartily agree with the above.

Also Cobb protuned Stg1 and currently at 68k miles.

JB4 is fantastic and is impressive what it can without writing to the ECU but nothing is smoother and more integrated than a actual flash custom to your car.

mw1978

Ready to race!
Fu%$£#ing ROW engines!!!!! Maestro and COBB not available for my box code !!!:(
There is one option: OTS file stacked with JB4

local

Ready to race!
Car(s)
19R
I'd probably keep the JB4 as a future meth controller

jb4 did not play nicely with cobb when i tried using both together. I had jb4 doing nothing other than controlling meth and it kept distorting my boost reading. had to remove it and get another meth controller sadly.

railroader

Autocross Newbie
I went from fbo is38 water/meth jb4 and dynoed 323whp but had issues with it cutting out at 5k rpm due to speed limiter or something and couldn't get a 3rd gear pull cause of traction on the dyno then went ed maestro prone and dynoed 397whp 400wtq with high iats. Power delivery is much better with the pro tune

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk