GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Full color change vinyl wrap

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
So 5 x 50 should be enough to both do some learn tests AND wrap the whole car? I may just have to do this someday.

Side note . . . what happens when you have a deep scratch and you put wrap over it? Does the scratch come show up after wrapping? IE, can you see that there is an indent under the wrap?

Yes and no. Technically it’s only 9’ extra which is make or break if you screw up a big piece. BUT, my wife placed the order since this was my Father’s Day present it is what it is. I may order gloss black for the roof and mirrors

How much does a semi professional wrap job cost now a days? I have a front bumper that is starting to get chewed up and was in love with baby haulers matte od green wrap. Is this worth trying to do yourself?

Diy cost under $500 (depends on materials I guess, but there’s ballpark for you)

I haven’t seen that wrap, it sounds awesome but on a side note Matte colors are much more difficult to maintain (I ruined Matte white on my mk6 by parking under a tree and not having enough wax on it)

Definitely worth doing yourself, but it is a lot and takes a long time as a rookie. The tedious work is mental draining IMO, but I love learning new things and challenges so with the help up being surprised with the vinyl I’m committed to making it happen lol

As for paying someone, I’d imagine the price difference between pro and semi pro is negligible (pro will do it much quicker, but at a higher rate) so it’s a no brainer to use a certified installer who’ll give the best results

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
I may attempt this very soon. I just feel it's such a big friggin project. Almost overwhelming. I need to practice glossing the roof first. Jake did you take everything off and apart or just went at it?

Ecapskcab

Ready to race!
Car(s)
15 Mk7 GTI
Any updates?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Sir_Mk7r

Ready to race!
are you going to pick up the nardo intake piping that racingline is selling limited time as well? just figure I would let you know about it.

Navi

Autocross Champion
If you have any questions let me know. I have wrapped multiple vehicles. It has become a hobby of mine (it is not my profession). Question though, why did you not remove the door handles? Way easier and better coverage. Still looks good though.

Also... once you complete the project, especially the front bumper, you will be like "damn so this is why wrap installers charge $2800"

Navi

Autocross Champion
The way I did mine was put an overlay on the bottom side of the top bump (red).
Since the plastic pieces were difficult to remove I just laid the vinyl over everything and cut in the middle of the fins (green) to allow for enough material to drop into the back.
It was detailed work and a bit time consuming

this is exactly how i wrapped the front bumper as well. Probably the best way. I spent a good deal of time trying to remove the trim and they are in there solid. When I switched to a golf R bumper, I made sure to wrap it before installing any of the trim. That's probably the only way to do it perfect but pretty much impossible unless you do that with a new bumper.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion