GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Welcoming my new 7.5 R!

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Some have even flipped an 18 for a 17...

That was me. Couldn’t be happier.

Before

After

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

schwab0

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
VW
APR wheels whomever was asking.

Congrats man! I'm assuming APR+ setup as well?

Best color!

champignon

Ready to race!
I'm surprised at the number of people on this forum who flip a '17 MY for an '18!

I "flipped" a '16 for an '18. It cost me around $11,000 including the sales tax, and in exchange I got a color I preferred (Gray Metallic), plus 5+ more years of warranty than I would have had with the 26 month old car I traded in. Everything else was gravy. I would not have done it for significantly more money.

The Stig2

Ready to race!
Thank you. I quite like the silver. Very happy I was able to find a new one and the DSG6 in my opinion is a better choice then the DSG7.

Curious to your thoughts on how else the MK7 is better than or compares with the MK7.5. Is it true that the 7.5 feels less quality due to penny counting by the VW execs?

VDuBNIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Curious to your thoughts on how else the MK7 is better than or compares with the MK7.5. Is it true that the 7.5 feels less quality due to penny counting by the VW execs?

First, the DSG6 IMO is the better transmission and will be until VW sorts out the DSG7. The DSG7 likes to shift from 7th to 6th on the slightest grade. So much so that I simply kept mine in 6th most of the time unless doing 70+ mph. The downshift from 2nd to 1st when performing a rolling stop drove me bat shit crazy and made for some rough downshifts. The DSG7 is also too eager to be in the next highest gear. The big concern with the DSG7 is its inability to give you WOT responses without falling on its face. This is NOT a WTF DSG moment, it’s a complete loss of fuel, which IMO is downright dangerous. Here is a thread on the issue: https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?9232987-MK7-5-DSG-WOT-Issue#/topics/9232987?page=1

The digital dash although modern looking just seemed like an afterthought. Most of the exterior pieces now seem to come from the GTI parts bin. Headlights, taillights, and the ‘body kit’ are identical to those found on the less expensive GTI. Even the mud flaps from the GTI can now be used on the 7.5 R.

Seems VW was in a hurry to refresh the MKVII as a stop gap between it and the MKVIII. Sure the MKVII hit our shores in 2014 and the mark MKVIII isn’t due until who the hell really knows, but other manufactures have successfully carried over for much longer then that.

My biggest gripe about the 7.5R is that it’s no longer it’s ‘own’ car. Nothing visually really sets it apart from the GTI. Where the MKVII R had exclusive side skirts, headlights, and diffusers, the 7.5 shares much of its parts from the GTI bin.

So the short of the long in my experience is that yes, the MK7.5 does feel ‘less quality’ then the MK7. I use the term lightly though as the fit and finish seems to be the same. The leather in my 7.5 R was loose on the seats which my 13yr old daughter commented on.

Last edited: