GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV
FORUM OPTIONS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GOLFMK7 - VW GTI MKVII Forum / VW Golf R Forum / VW Golf MKVII Forum > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 05-27-2018, 03:59 PM   #18
MK7-R

Drives: '18 .:R Tornado Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joviemk7 View Post
So Iím guessing this is a normal thing? And maybe no big deal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mine isnít normal and consumes oil. However Iím below the consumption threshold so Iím getting the run around.
MK7-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 06:20 AM   #19
bilagain

Drives: 2016 GTI SE DSG PP 2 dr
Joviemk7 and really, MK7-R too, That does not seem to be a lot of oil honestly. If you could measure it, all of it from all 4 plugs from mile 1 to now, how much would you say was there?

MK7-R, are you flooding out your plugs with oil?

Both of you - Do you think its causing a problem or simply not pretty to look at? Is it throwing codes? Misfires?

I don't mean to be frank about it but to be blunt, my wife's Mercedes R500 has a leaking rear main seal. It drips about 1 drop of oil maybe every two or three days. The car is 11 years old. The repair is $1200 if I don't do the labor and regretfully the part is only like $50-60 but it means dropping the trans, etc. I put a piece of cardboard down in the garage and problem solved. Over the course of an oil change it makes zero difference on the dip stick.

With that said, is yours leaking to a point its causing a problem or is just something you don't like seeing? If its not a problem, wipe it clean, torque the plugs properly and carry on like is a bad tattoo that nobody else knows about.
bilagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 04:13 PM   #20
MK7-R

Drives: '18 .:R Tornado Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilagain View Post
Joviemk7 and really, MK7-R too, That does not seem to be a lot of oil honestly. If you could measure it, all of it from all 4 plugs from mile 1 to now, how much would you say was there?

MK7-R, are you flooding out your plugs with oil?

Both of you - Do you think its causing a problem or simply not pretty to look at? Is it throwing codes? Misfires?

I don't mean to be frank about it but to be blunt, my wife's Mercedes R500 has a leaking rear main seal. It drips about 1 drop of oil maybe every two or three days. The car is 11 years old. The repair is $1200 if I don't do the labor and regretfully the part is only like $50-60 but it means dropping the trans, etc. I put a piece of cardboard down in the garage and problem solved. Over the course of an oil change it makes zero difference on the dip stick.

With that said, is yours leaking to a point its causing a problem or is just something you don't like seeing? If its not a problem, wipe it clean, torque the plugs properly and carry on like is a bad tattoo that nobody else knows about.
Mine after 13k mikes on the plugs started to get a little rough on idle. No codes or anything, just felt more hiccups. On wot it started to feel like it wouldnít have the full power. Since I changed back to oem and gapped at 0.024 itís been running much better and feels like it pulls harder. It wasnít a lot of oil and had some valvrcover sealant on it (which is supposedly normal since our cars use rtv). However my car burns 1q every 2500-3000 Miles (last time however worries me since the low oil light turned on at 1500)
MK7-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2018, 02:20 AM   #21
bilagain

Drives: 2016 GTI SE DSG PP 2 dr
A quart every 2500 to 3000 miles seems like a bit much. Any other signs of a leak or wet spot? Boy, I wonder how your oxygen sensors and cat(s) are if you're really burning and not leaking that much oil.... There's a number of things you could do to try and narrow it down. You still under warranty? Modded? I'd pursue that first.
bilagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:08 PM   #22
Joviemk7

Drives: MK7 Golf 1.8T
So I finally went to the dealer and I just talked to a service advisor who told me since it was an internal leak ďthey called it seepageĒ and not an actual leak outside the motor vw will not cover it but he offered me a quote on a reseal. Then he later brought me to a tech and we talked about it and I showed them both the same video and they just left me with keep and eye on it and come back if anything but they still said vw would not cover it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Joviemk7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 03:52 PM   #23
NBMK7GTI

Drives: 2015 VW Gti S
Just had this issue also. Oil leaked so bad on the #4 plug it started misfiring. Everything was covered under warranty as it was the lack of sealent in the engine cover. If you're part of the fb group, I posted a picture of my plug on there and on this forum somewhere as well.
Old 08-14-2018, 03:52 PM   #24
NBMK7GTI

Drives: 2015 VW Gti S
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44034