GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2016 Golf R Blown Engine... (threw a rod)

Awesome story OP I’m glad everything worked out for you

Out of curiosity what supporting mods if any did you have along with the stage 2 tune and downpipe if any?

In addition to downpipe and tune there’s a few things that could’ve greatly reduced the risk of catastrophic failure like this.

As far as the engine goes, RS7 plugs is about it. As for the car, tons of chassis benefitting mods.

No fmic upgrade, so if I ever tune again that will go in first. :)

Don't bet any money on that. The service manager doesn't make that call as the ECU (unless it is physically swapped) will always say "hey VW, I've been flashed".

In addition, your "stock" flash will never match VW's stock flash.

But you should go out and buy a lottery ticket. Split the winnings with me.

The tech actually went ahead and updated my ecm and it now reflects the same file number that it originally came with.

Service manager says that now they can do a new full scan and request td1 flag removal.

Car is back together and running. After they put some miles on it and confirm everything is good I'll be driving it back to ohio (like a grandma).

Once I get back to Ohio I'll get an oil change and resume normal driving (will be heading to Colorado shortly after I get back to Ohio).

cb1111

The tech actually went ahead and updated my ecm and it now reflects the same file number that it originally came with.

Service manager says that now they can do a new full scan and request td1 flag removal.

Car is back together and running. After they put some miles on it and confirm everything is good I'll be driving it back to ohio (like a grandma).

Once I get back to Ohio I'll get an oil change and resume normal driving (will be heading to Colorado shortly after I get back to Ohio).
Very good. Let's see what the fatherland does with the request.

Very good. Let's see what the fatherland does with the request.

Well I've put over 1,000 miles on the car since getting it back from the dealer in Florida on the 2nd. I basically babied it and never took it over 4k until I had the oil changed today by my local(ish) servicing dealer.

Car honestly feels like it might still be tuned, even though I was told by the Tech that he had successfully updated the ECM, and that the file number now matched what the car originally came with.

I have both a VAG-CAN cable and my Eurodyne Power-Tap cable. Does anyone know a way I can be sure if the car is back to the original ECM file?

It's also possible that this is all just my imagination and that after driving a Nissan Sentra for a week and a 2018 VW Tiguan for the past 3 weeks I've completely forgotten what a semi-fast car feels like ;)

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
It's also possible that this is all just my imagination and that after driving a Nissan Sentra for a week and a 2018 VW Tiguan for the past 3 weeks I've completely forgotten what a semi-fast car feels like ;)
This is the most likely explanation. Without actual dyno numbers, it's all "seat of the pants" which is most certainly not scientific. But your perception is arguably what matters most and if you're happy, that's the only important thing.

This is the most likely explanation. Without actual dyno numbers, it's all "seat of the pants" which is most certainly not scientific. But your perception is arguably what matters most and if you're happy, that's the only important thing.

I hope you're right because the car feels great :)

One other clue is that my oil temps are about 10F higher than they were before. I remember noticing a temp drop when I first tuned the car.

One question though... Am I the only one who's cruise buttons add in 5s and 1s? (+ / - = 5mph, Res / Set = 1mph)

I seem to remember this also changing when I first tuned the car as well...

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
Well I've put over 1,000 miles on the car since getting it back from the dealer in Florida on the 2nd. I basically babied it and never took it over 4k until I had the oil changed today by my local(ish) servicing dealer.

Car honestly feels like it might still be tuned, even though I was told by the Tech that he had successfully updated the ECM, and that the file number now matched what the car originally came with.

I have both a VAG-CAN cable and my Eurodyne Power-Tap cable. Does anyone know a way I can be sure if the car is back to the original ECM file?

AFAIK, techsaren't allowed to flash on their own. They need to hook up to VW and VW sends any updates over the wire. So there's no such thing as a dealer flashing on their own then asking VW to lift a flag. Do you have invoices from the dealer that state you were flashed back to stock and have a factory warranty? There's a paper trail for everything a dealer does.

Last edited:

cb1111

AFAIK, techsaren't allowed to flash on their own. They need to hook up to VW and VW sends any updates over the wire. So there's no such thing as a dealer flashing on their own then asking VW to lift a flag. Do you have invoices from the dealer that state you were flashed back to stock and have a factory warranty? There's a paper trail for everything a dealer does.
Correct. I don't think that dealerships can even get the files.

Correct. I don't think that dealerships can even get the files.

I appreciate everyone's skepticism, I honestly don't know how it works.

I did speak with the service manager yesterday over the phone. He said he pulled up the "request" and it still showed as "pending".

When I get back to Florida around the 19th, he said that if I want, they can do another full scan to confirm everything is as it should be...

Jose_Gti

Autocross Newbie
I appreciate everyone's skepticism, I honestly don't know how it works.

I did speak with the service manager yesterday over the phone. He said he pulled up the "request" and it still showed as "pending".

When I get back to Florida around the 19th, he said that if I want, they can do another full scan to confirm everything is as it should be...

Either way you already won the lottery...

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
One question though... Am I the only one who's cruise buttons add in 5s and 1s? (+ / - = 5mph, Res / Set = 1mph)
I think this is in the manual but I don't use cruise control much so never fully digested what it said about it but I'm pretty sure there are two ways to modify it as you noted. So I think this is correct.

Mk7Will

Ready to race!
A technician can technically flash an ecm without contacting VTA by using a current TSB ECM update. If there is one for the vehicle. If no update does exist then yes, it would need to be replaced or sent out for a reflash. 9 times out of 10 they will just you install a new ecm.