GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Window creaking when going down

JD-1

Ready to race!
I tried searching this but I'm getting no hints mainly because of other types of rattles or creaks coming up.

Basically the window makes noise going down, but not up. It only seems to make noise when its dry out. Its been raining and the noise is greatly reduced.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObnGTx1G8fc

I'm wondering if I should apply something like sailkote to the felt? I feel like this isn't a mechanical noise from the window motor, but something rubbing?

falconcrest32

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI SE
How do I fix? or do I just take this to the dealer..? Its a 2018

I'd take it to the dealership and let them fix it. Perks of having warranty :)

JD-1

Ready to race!
Its been super wet outside and the sound has completely stopped, the window does seem to also go down smoothly even when making noise so I think its just something not lubricated.

On a facebook group i'm hearing I should try sailkote.

I'm afraid to let the dealer work on it, not that I don't trust them but I've read so many horror stories about one thing being removed (like the door card) and a million other rattles starting to come.

Subito

Ready to race!
How do I fix? or do I just take this to the dealer..? Its a 2018

Take it to the dealer...and you are guaranteed they will slightly damage the top front corner of the door card when they remove it to get at the seals...unless they follow the specific instructions in the VW service manual on how to remove the door card (and they probably won't).

JD-1

Ready to race!
Take it to the dealer...and you are guaranteed they will slightly damage the top front corner of the door card when they remove it to get at the seals...unless they follow the specific instructions in the VW service manual on how to remove the door card (and they probably won't).

Oh yeah? Can you show me a picture?

Blindbatts

Passed Driver's Ed
Now I'm not saying the dealers are or are not employing untrained and inept tech's.

But I removed both my door panels to install the euro power folding mirrrors, and if you follow the way the panels should be removed and installed there's zero risk of that kind of damage.

However I will add this - every single time I've brought my car in for service to my VW dealer, something has been damaged. I don't let any of it slide and they've always attempted to resolve by replacing the damaged parts.

Never had this problem with taking my ford truck or wifes subaru to the dealer. But I'm hopeful it's isolated to specific employees, which could happen anywhere with any brand for any repair.

Mk7Will

Ready to race!
Could be the regulator as well, 8 out of 10 window noises I see come from the regulator itself. And yes, if the panel isn't removed properly someone will damage something. Be sure to find a qualified tech to do the repair

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
I’ve noticed that our windows tent to make noises when tint has been applied to them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just got my windows tinted... I can't fathom why that would lead to new rattles.

Unless the installers removed the door cards to get the tint below the trim line, and didn't put things back properly (broken clips, etc).

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion

Guaranteed by whom?

I've mentioned it before, and I've been told by a service manager, that simple jobs like problems with windows or doors are usually relegated to junior techs with very little experience. But you can always ask that you don't get "the new guy" working on your car.

(I recently removed all four door cards and found the process very easy, following the workshop manual. Not a single broken clip.)

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Seems more like shit happens... which it does, certainly when removing trim.

Rafiki76

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII GTI
I had that exact same problem. It took two dealer visits but they had to replace my lifter mechanism.