GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Steering feel sticky/stiffer

cdubbgti911

Ready to race!
I have never had this issue with any of my GTI's before. I drive a 2015 model GTI have about ~56k miles and recently I have noticed that my steering feels sticky/stiffer when turning. When I start up the car and drive the first 1-3 miles the steering feels normal then I notice that the steering feels sticky/stiffer after the initial first few miles. I tried switching the modes from normal/sporty and the steering feel doesn't change like it used to. Has anyone else had the same issue...if so what was the resolution to fixing this issue? Do our cars have power steering fluid that needs changed/replaced after a while? Any help is much appreciated thanks guys!

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
The car uses an electronic power steering rack, no fluid involved. Your assist motor could be worn or dying. Fix is replacing the entire rack. Doing a scan and watching live data could help confirm a worn motor or possible different issue, but normally a replacement is required in the end.

cdubbgti911

Ready to race!
The car uses an electronic power steering rack, no fluid involved. Your assist motor could be worn or dying. Fix is replacing the entire rack. Doing a scan and watching live data could help confirm a worn motor or possible different issue, but normally a replacement is required in the end.

Thank you for the reply...any idea or guess on cost of replacing the rack for this?

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Thank you for the reply...any idea or guess on cost of replacing the rack for this?

Cost of R&R Labor, programming, and parts ran about 4.5K ish I want to say for the last job I did. The rack itself being the most expensive portion of the total (I want to say it was close to 3k for a brand new OE rack), but that was like 2 years ago. If you get a refurbished one the price would be a lot lower.

cdubbgti911

Ready to race!
Cost of R&R Labor, programming, and parts ran about 4.5K ish I want to say for the last job I did. The rack itself being the most expensive portion of the total (I want to say it was close to 3k for a brand new OE rack), but that was like 2 years ago. If you get a refurbished one the price would be a lot lower.

Damn :/ is this common for our cars for the rack to go out this early?

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
If you're at 56k take it in for warranty. From your signature I'm assuming you'd be flagged TD1, but steering rack isn't powertrain.

So it would fall under the 2 year 24k bumber to bumper warranty rather than the 5 year 60k powertrain warranty most likely. Doesn't hurt to ask though.