GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2016 Golf R Blown Engine... (threw a rod)

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Sad story, but don’t mix up the CPO business unit from the warranty business unit, they are not the same and run by different P&L’s and there isn’t a concept of customer life time value in the used / cpo business, that’s primarily a dealer revenue generator and method to ensure dealers can ensure they can stock lightly used vehicles of the same brand. I have a close friend that worked for several OEM’ and currently serves on a multi OEM advisory counsel and knows the annual budgets for these programs are in the hundreds of million dollar range. These are not things of the past, and in fact they are investing millions of dollars in CRM and using analytics to make decisions on how to use these out of warranty budgets.

People are always publishing shit that’s not covered that ends up costing them a bunch of money and few people take the time to post stories of having a OEM cover something that saves them a bunch of money, but it happens all the time.

I am not comparing new vehicle VS CPO warranty. If VW has a valid reason, they will take all efforts of not covering the issue under warranty. Thats the main reason why they started bringing in automatic TD1 detection as they were wasting a lot of money by performing warranty works on tuned vehicles.

Corporates like VW / Audi are more into making profit than satisfying a specific customer knowing the person voided their warranty with a tune and dealers are in the same boat as well. If you are a service manager at a dealership, will you authorize a warranty work knowing VW is not going to reimburse the money.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Screw it, junkyard engine, verify the tune is safe, maybe replace injectors and keep beating on it.

Fuel system cleaner did not kill your engine. I've run the same stuff it does not decrease the knock threshold.

Mk7Will

Ready to race!
I am not comparing new vehicle VS CPO warranty. If VW has a valid reason, they will take all efforts of not covering the issue under warranty. Thats the main reason why they started bringing in automatic TD1 detection as they were wasting a lot of money by performing warranty works on tuned vehicles.

Corporates like VW / Audi are more into making profit than satisfying a specific customer knowing the person voided their warranty with a tune and dealers are in the same boat as well. If you are a service manager at a dealership, will you authorize a warranty work knowing VW is not going to reimburse the money.

There isn't any real automatic TD1 system employed, the technician still has to manually query the ecm for a flash that hasn't been ran through the diagnostic software. If the date that the last flash has been recorded at differs from what is listed, it is then TD1.

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
There isn't any real automatic TD1 system employed, the technician still has to manually query the ecm for a flash that hasn't been ran through the diagnostic software. If the date that the last flash has been recorded at differs from what is listed, it is then TD1.

Interesting, so the flash counter isn't the determining factor, but the flash date is??

KASPER1

Go Kart Champion
Go for the new 5 cylinder engine and build yourself a Golf RS - there are several builds like this done already:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mcbktk-OCN8

Ya, but you’re talking engine and trans then and everything you have that is good, turbo, intercooler, trans etc is wasted or taking up room. If you run your own shop it’s definitely an option but for most of us it’d be stupid expensive compared to just building a suitable replacement motor.

emiladam

Passed Driver's Ed
Ya, but you’re talking engine and trans then and everything you have that is good, turbo, intercooler, trans etc is wasted or taking up room. If you run your own shop it’s definitely an option but for most of us it’d be stupid expensive compared to just building a suitable replacement motor.

True enough, even selling the good parts would recover a small part of the new costs. It just seems to me that if you have to go to such an effort and expense to put in a new engine, the labor portion is going to be close to the same as if he did the swap. The parts are where the costs get driven up and if he can find a used engine & transmission, which may not be easy, then it would reduce the incremental cost. It does turn a bad luck scenario into a highly desirable final outcome.

Luchos

Go Kart Champion
True enough, even selling the good parts would recover a small part of the new costs. It just seems to me that if you have to go to such an effort and expense to put in a new engine, the labor portion is going to be close to the same as if he did the swap. The parts are where the costs get driven up and if he can find a used engine & transmission, which may not be easy, then it would reduce the incremental cost. It does turn a bad luck scenario into a highly desirable final outcome.

I don't think you're factoring in the cost of figuring out engine/trans mounts, subframe, new ecu, engine harness and associated wiring. Let's not forget a whole lot of coding.

Mk7Will

Ready to race!
Interesting, so the flash counter isn't the determining factor, but the flash date is??

Not really, since the actual car can be flashed at port. But it comes down to the dates if they match or not. In Vw's eyes, the ecm should never have to be flashed unless its with the factory scan tool. The logs are always sent after a flash is performed.

TRVotexed07

Ready to race!
Car(s)
17GolfR
Hey man sorry to hear about your situation. I recently messaged a guy who sells salvage cars and he had a complete running Golf R engine for sale. HE was asking for 4700 shipped and it only had like 15k on it.

Attached is a screenshot of a PM. Might want to reach out to them. I believe they are located down in the Carolinas so shipping might be even less for you.

Looks like you can email the salvage place direct slavik@enthusiastcarparts.com

Anyways goodluck man sorry to hear this happened.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Last edited: