GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Golf r service,is this right?

gord115

Just got back from the stealers and had my minor service.

The service manager asked who had fitted the new rear tyres.

I told him a local tyre fitter and he said that because I had more than 3mm difference between the tread,back to front (7.5mm vs 4mm) I needed 2 tyres on the front.(And then tried to sell me some Dunlops)

I have heard of this with permanent 4 wheel drives like the Impreza but not with cars like the Golf r which is front wheel drive most of the time.

I have looked in the manual and can't find anything that says they should have the same wear.

Can anyone enlighten me?

pnwbrdr

Ready to race!
Not sure if I've ever seen anything published by VW, but Audi says 4/32nds max. Personally, I always replace all 4, or if only replacing one, will get it shaved down to match.

computers are measuring wheel speed, and with different tread depths, there will be different diameters, and thus different angular speeds. This could negatively affect differentials. I'd guess that with electronically controlled differentials they can adapt to different diameters to some extent, but if it gets too far out of spec, I'd imagine things might not function as intended. You're likely right that mechanical differentials are more susceptible to over-working with different tread depths.

Differences in tread depth can also create traction issues on wet/snowy roads - the deeper tread depth having better traction if the water is deep. Could result in under/over steer.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=18

Bvstp

Passed Driver's Ed
I just had mine serviced, tires rotated at 9,400 miles. The fronts did wear more than the rear but the service manager said they’re fine. I’ve not heard of anything like that and I’ve had several AWD vehicles over the past 20years

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wrath And Tears

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
17 Sport, 99 E36
Not sure if I've ever seen anything published by VW, but Audi says 4/32nds max. Personally, I always replace all 4, or if only replacing one, will get it shaved down to match.

computers are measuring wheel speed, and with different tread depths, there will be different diameters, and thus different angular speeds. This could negatively affect differentials. I'd guess that with electronically controlled differentials they can adapt to different diameters to some extent, but if it gets too far out of spec, I'd imagine things might not function as intended. You're likely right that mechanical differentials are more susceptible to over-working with different tread depths.

Differences in tread depth can also create traction issues on wet/snowy roads - the deeper tread depth having better traction if the water is deep. Could result in under/over steer.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=18

Correct! With the older Audi's the center diff would wear out extremely quickly. Replacing all 4 tires (or having all tires within X/32nds) on an AWD vehicle has been a thing since AWD came out. Now for newer vehicles, it does take a long time to cause damage, but still is a good practice to follow. For other reasons like handling and other safety stuff.

Finglonga

Drag Racing Champion
They are talking BS. As usual trying to sell you overpriced rubber. Even if you did want the new tyres I would go elsewhere as they would be cheaper.

Tigsel

Ready to race!
Definitely yes on Torsen systems. Haldex not so much, not for that small of a difference.