GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

CD/SD Card Infotainment Module Removal

ob2s

I am looking for a switched 12 volts in my glovebox. I had hoped the glovebox light was not computer controlled, but it is and thus is off when the glovebox is closed. Anyway, I want to remove my infotainment module in the glovebox to see if there is usable 12 volts back there. I started to pry the face off, but scored the plastic on the sides. can someone advise how I can remove this unit ? Thanks

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
The glovebox light is computer controlled, because it gets its 12V from the BCM, however it is for all intents and purposes constant 12V. The glovebox switch just toggles the 12V power. If you tap into the wire ahead of the switch, it's effectively constant 12V.

If you want switched 12V, you can tap into the 12V socket in the console, but that's even harder to get to than the infotainment module.

To remove the infotainment module, you need special release keys which you can purchase on Amazon for a few bucks.

I have been fabricating 3D printed inserts to replace the stock card holder to the right of the infotainment module, to hold an OBDeleven diagnostic tool, see this thread:

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41973

While I was at it, I made a 3D model for a dual-port USB version as well, but there was no interest in this. If you wanted, I could print you a prototype.

IWMTom

Autocross Newbie
I am looking for a switched 12 volts in my glovebox. I had hoped the glovebox light was not computer controlled, but it is and thus is off when the glovebox is closed. Anyway, I want to remove my infotainment module in the glovebox to see if there is usable 12 volts back there. I started to pry the face off, but scored the plastic on the sides. can someone advise how I can remove this unit ? Thanks

Instead of splicing wires, get yourself a piggyback fuse and use the 12v socket fuse.

As above, you need removal tools to remove the brain unit, but you shouldn't need to do this for your project.

ob2s

I have been fabricating 3D printed inserts to replace the stock card holder to the right of the infotainment module, to hold an OBDeleven diagnostic tool, see this thread:

Impressive. I wondered what the h*ll that panel was. I followed the wire from the light until it disappeared. I found another wire that was 12v but it was 12v when the car is off and locked, and off when the car is on. I thought 'effin great. After I had to cut the wire to find out. I assume the tool is this ?

Thanks