GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

6MT shifting issues

Square1

Go Kart Champion
I searched but I couldn't find the exact issue I'm having.

I'm having trouble shifting from 2 to 3 or 3 to 4 under full throttle. It doesn't want to go into gear and I feel like I'm going to break the shifter knob off.
I have addressed the clutch delay valve, the spring, and I have installed a CTS insert, Dieselgeek sigma 6, BFI stage 3 chutch, and a Wavetrac LSD.
I have purchased the complete ECS mount kit but it has yet to be installed.

So my question is: with the mounts and shifter bushings installed will that take care of my issues or should I be looking at anything else? I am open to ideas.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
Your powershifting your GTI? I got $20 bucks new clutch is coming. Lol. I always let off just a little between shifts because of dual mass flywheel is carrying a lot of momentum over 5k rpms.

Square1

Go Kart Champion
I haven't power shifted it (yet) but it does seem to carry a pile of momentum still above 6000 at which point it gets really tough to engage the gears.

I'll install the mounts and bushing set in a week or so and see how it is.

Would a weighted shift knob help as well?

DrDavid

Ready to race!
-------------, Dieselgeek sigma 6, ..................

I had this peace of shit in my previus Mk6 GTi 6MT..... i had the same problem when shifting fom 2 to 3.......

i remember one case i want to put 3 but could not put and tried very hard..... the 3 was no there,,,,the 1st gear yes....... the engine go to 9000 rpm : eek: (recorder in vcds)...... i had put the feet en the clutch before the entire engine go to hell with me inside......

i will not recommend any more the sigma 6....... after that i go to dsg :D:D

the only way that sigma 6 works propely is change gear not to hard .......because you may put an incorrect gear....i tell you where your engine goes....

dub_guy

Ready to race!
The 3-4 shift should be an easy one - considering the the side-to-side lever is not involved and at the transmission it is a simple rotational movement.

If the shifts are fine with the car off, I'd wonder if the clutch is not disengaging properly.

Derushi

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Long
I had this peace of shit in my previus Mk6 GTi 6MT..... i had the same problem when shifting fom 2 to 3.......

i remember one case i want to put 3 but could not put and tried very hard..... the 3 was no there,,,,the 1st gear yes....... the engine go to 9000 rpm : eek: (recorder in vcds)...... i had put the feet en the clutch before the entire engine go to hell with me inside......

i will not recommend any more the sigma 6....... after that i go to dsg :D:D

the only way that sigma 6 works propely is change gear not to hard .......because you may put an incorrect gear....i tell you where your engine goes....

Had that problem before when it was misaligned, 2-3 was the same issue I had not catching into gear (gets caught in between the forks) and popping out in reverse (still in gear but shifter pops up lol). Got it aligned properly and no problems now. Love this shifter, might be a pain to get aligned correctly though.

Scrodee

Ready to race!
FWIW, I’ve heard of folks having problems when using aftermarket bushings with a short shifter. They put the OEM bushings back in and everything is good again.

dr_mk7_il

Ready to race!
FWIW, I’ve heard of folks having problems when using aftermarket bushings with a short shifter. They put the OEM bushings back in and everything is good again.

I kept the one bushing OEM (front-back) and the other aftermarket (side-side).
I also get the 2-3 shifting issue every now and then. I love the way the shifter feels otherwise! Going to try the APR dogbone insert and see if that helps.

Tigsel

Ready to race!
Proper shifter alignment and a dogbone will fix your problem.

OBP

Go Kart Newbie
I searched but I couldn't find the exact issue I'm having.

I'm having trouble shifting from 2 to 3 or 3 to 4 under full throttle. It doesn't want to go into gear and I feel like I'm going to break the shifter knob off.
I have addressed the clutch delay valve, the spring, and I have installed a CTS insert, Dieselgeek sigma 6, BFI stage 3 chutch, and a Wavetrac LSD.
I have purchased the complete ECS mount kit but it has yet to be installed.

So my question is: with the mounts and shifter bushings installed will that take care of my issues or should I be looking at anything else? I am open to ideas.

Thanks in advance.

What you're experiencing is high speed lockout. This was a common issue during my Evo days when using single disc clutches. I've personally experienced this just by using different transmission fluids.

First thing I'd try is changing is your trans fluid. Did the shop change your trans fluid when they replaced the clutch? If so, switch back to the stock fluid and try it out.

On my Evo, it hated Redline MTL, Mt90 or blends. Threw in Pennzoil synchromesh and the lock went away. You may have to experiment with different fluids.