GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Blown turbo on stg 2 OTS map ending with TD1

HicBuda

Ready to race!
On another note, are these is20 turbos just not very good? Should one be looking at Borg Warner based turbos if they were planning to upgrade (I'm not, but just asking).

I have an unverifiable gut feeling that the adaptive cruise control which did kick in applying the brakes hard while the car was in boost MIGHT have something to do with this. The turbo never gave me pause up till that point.

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
I have an unverifiable gut feeling that the adaptive cruise control which did kick in applying the brakes hard while the car was in boost MIGHT have something to do with this. The turbo never gave me pause up till that point.

Not sure how that would make the turbo fail? Care to explain?

HicBuda

Ready to race!
Probably no grounding in reality. It was just a very close knit set of events. Car shutters from ACC brake activation (dash lit up but I didn't see if it was the "hit brake" message) and a second later the turbo,which was in moderate boost, takes a fatal shit. It has freaked out on big trucks in the opposite lane in the past.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Shocking the amount of people who still believe the TD1 is something easily defeated. Me thinks all the people who have gotten warranty work while tuned are just simply lucky.

15.5K sounds like not too bad of a trade-in all things considered. Obviously a shi-tay situation, but at least you got a good number for a car in need of thousands of dollars of repairs.

marc5800

Drag Race Newbie
Oh well... I was simply wondering, I'm not going down that road again... though some ihi turbos seem to be very reliable. I guess it's just the luck of the draw

It truly is!

The preventative mesure is a 1500-2100$ aftermarket turbo lol (+ additional tuning)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GroceryGTIer

Drag Racing Champion
Until a flash company says it cant be detected im going to assume I will be flagged as TD1 if dealer has to hook it up for a warranty claim. Its just the safest way to think about it. I worry about people reading this and instantly thinking they are invincible against TD1 if the unmerry their cobb.

Well they aren't, I dont care what anyone "claims" to have had. If someone wants to get an AP, go to a dealer, unmarry their AP, PROVE their was a thorough, deep scan done and nothing detected, then I'll consider it.