GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

New Tire Suggestions

ClubSandwiches

Passed Driver's Ed
I have a 2016 GTI S that's been tuned with Unitronic Stage 1+. I'm looking to upgrade my tires and looking for suggestions. I have Continental A/S 225/40/18 on at the moment but I'd like to move to designated summer and winter tires. Looking for summer tire suggestions at the moment. Maybe Continental ExtremeContact Sport, Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2 or Michelin PSS. I know the PSS are the a great tire but maybe a tad overpriced. I don't track the car but like to drive spirited. I live in Maine so my summers are short and the roads can be chunky at times. The Hankooks are a great deal but I'm worried about sidewall softness and general reliability. I've been impressed by Continentals. Also, what size tires am I stuck looking at with these stock Austin alloy rims? Could I go 235? 245? Should I? Any help would be much appreciated!

Last edited:

lostru

Ready to race!
I have owned the PSS and I still prefer the Indy 500. At the price point and handling characteristics, they were more than able to handle my spirited driving and more. Of course I don't have bragging rights of having "the best" tire out there but I can buy two sets for the price of one PSS. Look up the reviews. I think they will make your mind up.

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
For you’re needs and price sensitivity I would suggest the Contis if it rains during the season you will be driving them in, if it doesn’t rain that much I would go with the Firehawks.

Meh on the Hankooks.

tknj99

Ready to race!
BFGoodrich G-Force Comp-2 A/S or nothing. Absolutely 0 complaints across the 3 sets I've owned (~25-30k each). Awesome in the wet, awesome in the snow, and killer at the strip/track/auto-x. The wider tread width, reinforced sidewalls and "rim protectors" are all nice features for a 400 treadwear tire.

Can i ask what size you recommend for the stock Austin wheels.. id love to get a better A/S in the future when these Hankooks wear out and would like wider as well if possible.

ClubSandwiches

Passed Driver's Ed
Right now I’m leaning towards Continental ExtremeContact DWS. I think A/S are the better route considering my geographic location, weather and road conditions. Should I stay at 225 or go to a 235 or even 245?

LastDragon

Ready to race!
BFGoodrich G-Force Comp-2 A/S or nothing. Absolutely 0 complaints across the 3 sets I've owned (~25-30k each). Awesome in the wet, awesome in the snow, and killer at the strip/track/auto-x. The wider tread width, reinforced sidewalls and "rim protectors" are all nice features for a 400 treadwear tire.

Bingo! Love mine as well

nype

Drag Racing Champion

About to pull the trigger on these. They sound perfect for Vancouver weather. Lots of local stores carry them (Costco, Canadian Tire, Kaltire etc).

Any issues with the directional tread pattern (understanding that they can’t be rotated side to side)?

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Interesting that Tirerack lists the BFG tread width at 7.6”. And my stock Hankooks at 7.7”.

But you say the tread on the BFGs is wider?

BronxBomber

Ready to race!
I'm confused:confused:. Op originally states dedicated winter and summer set up, but then wants to go A/S due to his geographic location and weather??? As far as the original statement OP made, I would go Fireston Firehawk Indy 500 for a balance of great performance, good tread wear for the segment and great value in stock size 225/40/18. He stated he wants to go Summer and Winter, no need to compromise with an UHP tire since he will have a dedicated winter setup.(Indy 500 is rated as UHP, but performs more like a Max performance summer tire).

Cptnjosh

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Sport

ClubSandwiches

Passed Driver's Ed
I'm confused:confused:. Op originally states dedicated winter and summer set up, but then wants to go A/S due to his geographic location and weather??? As far as the original statement OP made, I would go Fireston Firehawk Indy 500 for a balance of great performance, good tread wear for the segment and great value in stock size 225/40/18. He stated he wants to go Summer and Winter, no need to compromise with an UHP tire since he will have a dedicated winter setup.(Indy 500 is rated as UHP, but performs more like a Max performance summer tire).

Believe me, I confuse myself on an hourly basis. My original thought was dedicated summer/winter, however, I reserve the right to change my mind. The car screams to have high performance summer tires but there are a few A/S brands out there that I now feel can get pretty close w/o sacrificing treadwear and too much performance. My biggest concern (and there are a few) with the Indy 500's is the traction rating.

BronxBomber

Ready to race!
Believe me, I confuse myself on an hourly basis. My original thought was dedicated summer/winter, however, I reserve the right to change my mind. The car screams to have high performance summer tires but there are a few A/S brands out there that I now feel can get pretty close w/o sacrificing treadwear and too much performance. My biggest concern (and there are a few) with the Indy 500's is the traction rating.

I will tell you from the experience, the Indy 500 will outgrip the Continent Extreme DWS any day of the week. Both are terrible in the snow. I’m from New York. I’ve driven all seasons in the snow as well as max performance summer tires(I know you’re not supposed to) hardly a discernible difference in anything other than rain.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
For you’re needs and price sensitivity I would suggest the Contis if it rains during the season you will be driving them in, if it doesn’t rain that much I would go with the Firehawks.

Meh on the Hankooks.

I thought the Indy 500s did quite well in the rain? Maybe that’s a relative rating (considering they’re uhp summer tires)?

Indy 500s

MPS A/S 3+ (for AS reference)

For whatever these user ratings are worth...